What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad mini too wide?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the plusses of my GN7 is how easy it is to hold in one hand. Its width is 120 mm.

The iPad mini's width is stated to be 134.7 mm, so that is nearly 15mm wider, or ~0.6 inches wider.

As I stated in another post, the mini is roughly the same width as a standard DVD case (there are many different types of DVD cases, but the typical keeper case is 135mm wide). Here is an image.

And the side bezel is very narrow. This may be a two-handed device to use in complete comfort. Apple appears to have designed it to holding vertically, too. It might have been smarter to design for landscape holding, which is how I hold my tablets most of the time. Something to think about.

Attachments

• dvd-case-dimensions.jpg
    dvd-case-dimensions.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 794
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worth considering. Probably varies with individual hand size and with weight. A slightly wider device might not matter to many if weight is considerably lower.

My Kindle Fire is 120 mm, too, and it's just right for width for me, but would be nice lighter. Most of the time, I use it vertically. The only time it's horizontal is for movies, in which case it's held by a stand.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Worth considering. Probably varies with individual hand size and with weight. A slightly wider device might not matter to many if weight is considerably lower.

My Kindle Fire is 120 mm, too, and it's just right for width for me, but would be nice lighter. Most of the time, I use it vertically. The only time it's horizontal is for movies, in which case it's held by a stand.

Ah...good info. I assume you have rather smallish hands? Mine are probably on the large side, though I have relatively skinny fingers. Better for playing clarinet. :)

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah...good info. I assume you have rather smallish hands? Mine are probably on the large side, though I have relatively skinny fingers. Better for playing clarinet. :)

Oh, you meant the original Kindle Fire, not the HD. I think it is wider, no?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh, you meant the original Kindle Fire, not the HD. I think it is wider, no?

Kindle Fire original. Same width: Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire vs. Nook Tablet vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 | The Verge

I have smallish hands, but am told I have long fingers -- I played clarinet as a kid, lol.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for those links. I'm also waiting to see what Google produces for the 10-format. I think they will announce next week. Also saw some reviews of the surface running windows RT. It was surprisingly good. Once some more apps so up, I think these maybe very useful machines.

We did a 30-minute concert today and played Mozart! Fun. I've been playing clarinet since I was 12. Had some serious gaps over the years.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the wider aspect ratio that Apple uses. Same thing goes for the iPad vs the Galaxy Tabs.

iPadMarmoset

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends what size hands you have, but whatever you should be able to hold it in an outstretched palm quite comfortably.

Most reactions

Latest posts