What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the ipad 2 the ultimate travel campanion? Over s laptop?

Thomas Welch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One or two nights on the road...iPad.

More than two nights on the road....laptop (& iPad).

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is for me.

I take my keyboard so I have a better ability to answer long emails or write while I'm on the road, but I stopped carrying my laptop more than 6 trips ago and I never looked back.

Evaluate your needs while on the road and make the decision based on when you would use one over the other.

In my case the two things I needed to do on my laptop I now do using TeamViewer and I'm all set for the rest.

-t

jussumguy88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it is..I don't have all the extra accessories like the keyboard, but I do use it to respond to emails. Unless I'm doing somewhere very specific, more than likely, my laptop is at home,being my desktop.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me it is. I don't go anywhere without it. Well, i don't take it to dinner.... anymore.... LOL

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 has virtually made my laptop redundant, it ran for over 9 hours on a full charge during flight go Mexico, watching films abd playing music.

wife's £65 Android tablet did a very respectable 3 hours movies and books, weight if 2 tablets V 2 net books no contest with a 5kg walk on weight limit

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't get along without my 15" laptop when I travel on business for a number of reasons. The kind of work I do demands a Windows system. Some of the software I run requires IE or Firefox. The single window limit of the iPad is far too restrictive; I need multiple resizable windows for serious work. And even if none of those factors rule out depending exclusively on the iPad, the cpu processing power of the iPad comes nowhere close to what I need.

But having said all that, I've stopped carrying an 11" notebook that I've used for a couple of years when crammed into a middle seat in coach on a cross country flight. The iPad, even with the Origami Workstation stand and the Apple Wireless Keyboard fits on the tiny tray table more easily than the notebook (and leaves room for a scotch.) All the same limitations of the iPad apply but multiple windows on an 11" screen is not much of an advantage, anyway. I hate touchpads so the touch screen interface of the iPad actually saves space compared to the connecting a travel mouse on the notebook. I don't have to run application software when I'm flying and the convenience and gorgeous screen on the iPad combined with the ability to toss leave the keyboard in my bag if I don't have to work on a flight makes the iPad an ideal traveling companion.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was thinking of quoting the other posters, but my experience has overlapped to this point - use to carry either a Linux or Windows laptop on the road which covered our needs - preferred the Windows machine, just easier to connect to the local networks available on the road.

Since purchasing the iPad 2 in April, I've tried either the Apple device and/or both - I still find the Windows laptop (Dell VISTA) preferable for my 'on road' needs (mainly short vacations - I'm now retired so work issues are not a concern) - wife & I love the keyboard (just use to it) and I can easily upload my digital photos and post images on the web; also, Wi-Fi setup is easy (but also just as easy from my experience w/ the iPad).

Now on shorter trips, I've taken just the iPad 2 w/ the Apple BT keyboard (a must for us in typing email responses, etc.) - on our latest trip to Richmond, VA - just 3 nights, the iPad served us well (I had no digital camera images to load, so not a consideration).

This is a long-winded response but the iPad w/ a KB can really serve most of your basic 'on the road' requirements if not business intensive need(s) that might require the use of more advanced software - this is really an issue that each person has to decide from 'trial and error' - good luck to all of us in making this decision - :)

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Took both on my last two cruises. Used the laptop to do long emails but the speed of the ipad was much faster connections than using the ships compusers. Loved being able to read and stay connected where ever we went on the ship. However, the coffee shops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan don't have free wi-fi yet. Glad I wasn't lugging around my laptop while we were in port.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My work requires two screens, so a laptop won't even do, unless I'm doing something minor.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
On the road iPad 2 is all I need. I travel light, never check a bag and dislike intensely, the choice of in-flight video and audio
entertainment. With 64Gs I can fly around the world several times and not watch a re-run. I also avoid working on planes, in
airports and at hotels. AA

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the road iPad 2 is all I need. I travel light, never check a bag and dislike intensely, the choice of in-flight video and audio
entertainment. With 64Gs I can fly around the world several times and not watch a re-run. I also avoid working on planes, in
airports and at hotels.
AA

Nice to have that option. :)

Most reactions