What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is hacking safe?

capnbooboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello ipad world

i wanted to ask what is the difference between jailbreaking, tweaking and hacking?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jail breaking is completely safe and reversible. In other words, after jail breaking your iPad, if you don't like the results, then you can reverse the process and revert to a 'stock' iPad. In iPad Forum the terms 'hacking' and 'jailbreaking' are used interchangeably in respect of enabling the iPad to run non-Apple apps. Hacking and jailbreaking are not - repeat not - about stealing apps or running illegally obtained software. iPad Forum does not approve of such practices - which simply amount to theft - and will not allow any discussion of such activities on this Forum.

Tim

OP
C

capnbooboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jail breaking is completely safe and reversible. In other words, after jail breaking your iPad, if you don't like the results, then you can reverse the process and revert to a 'stock' iPad. In iPad Forum the terms 'hacking' and 'jailbreaking' are used interchangeably in respect of enabling the iPad to run non-Apple apps. Hacking and jailbreaking are not - repeat not - about stealing apps or running illegally obtained software. iPad Forum does not approve of such practices - which simply amount to theft - and will not allow any discussion of such activities on this Forum.

Tim
I cant find it now but on Apple's disclaimer it says something like Apple can exploit information on anyone who breaches, modifies, alters their products and share this with authorities, is it possible that once you jail break your ipad, iphone etc that your vulnerable to anyone from Apple or 3rd party developers to snoop, modify, gather information from your device with out your consent legally since its a catch 22?

meaning you cant talk becuase either way your loss?

just wondering if its a risk

quote from another site suggested:
Do Rooted or Jailbroken Devices Raise Security Concerns?

by Pragati Jain, Fiberlink
Apple unveiled iOS 5 in the recently concluded Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) and it has already been jailbroken. Jailbreaking (or rooting for Android devices) is a common and popular activity that many smartphone owners engage in without worrying about its security and legal implications. Many blogs dauntlessly talk about ‘top 10 apps for jailbroken devices’ or ‘tips for managing your apps on your rooted devices’. It sets my mind reeling with the million dollar question: Do rooted or jailbroken devices raise security concerns?
If you are a smartphone newbie, let me explain what jailbreaking or rooting a device means. Mobile OS vendors and service providers often impose some limitations on the usage of the smartphone device. Jailbreaking or rooting the device means fiddling with the smartphone operating system to remove these limitations and gain complete access to the phone’s features. After the device is jailbroken, users can install any third party applications, download live wallpapers and gain unlimited access to ringtones, etc. On the downside, this often means a violation of the device warranty; the device becomes more vulnerable to malware attacks; and it may result in the loss of personal and confidential information. Additionally, installing any future OS updates on the device can break the jailbreak and render the device useless. In short, after jailbreaking the device becomes unstable and vulnerable to attacks from cyber criminals.
So, jailbroken or rooted devices have some severe security implications. But the following tips and practices can help device owners circumvent the shortcomings and ensure the data on their jailbroken device is secured:

1. Always turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when you are not using them.
  2. Enforce strong password policies on your device.
  3. Ensure encryption is always enabled on your backup files.
  4. Ensure your devices are up to date with the relevant security patches and firmware updates to maintain the healthy state of the device.
  5. Use a VPN when accessing Internet from public Wi-Fi hot spots.
  6. Data wipe must be turned on for lost or stolen devices.
  7. Download applications for your smartphone only from trusted sources or official sites. Check permissions on the application before downloading them.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In fact, to some extent, the opposite is true. It was the JB community that provided a 'patch' that prevented Apple from collecting location information from the iPad.

Tim

OP
C

capnbooboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In fact, to some extent, the opposite is true. It was the JB community that provided a 'patch' that prevented Apple from collecting location information from the iPad.

Tim
to be honest i heard from someone over at the apple camp that once a device is HACKED or JAIL BROKEN into Apple is not liable but can only verify and record it as vulnerable to protect themselves and to provide it for future cyber police activities, apparently they want people to JB their devices becuase later next year they will force fines on these people, its why they are paying apple money to collect data, more on anyone can help corner political opponents as well.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
to be honest i heard from someone over at the apple camp that once a device is HACKED or JAIL BROKEN into Apple is not liable but can only verify and record it as vulnerable to protect themselves and to provide it for future cyber police activities, apparently they want people to JB their devices becuase later next year they will force fines on these people, its why they are paying apple money to collect data, more on anyone can help corner political opponents as well.

Why is it that no matter what Tim tells you, it is like you just don't hear it, listen to it or read it ~ you just go on to the next " well what I heard "

Or am I missing something?

Apple can not tell if you were JB after you restore back to factory stock.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though once you restore there is no way to tell if a device was jail broken, that does not mean your UDID was not recorded as a jail broken device at some point...

We do that today from several of our apps. We do not support jail broken devices.

I don't know of any Apple apps that do that today, however it's entirely possible it's being done.

-t

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I would not worry about it. The LOC made a ruling that says we are free to JB our iPhones. I only mention iPhones because there was no specific ruling AFAIK on iPads; they did not exist at the time.

So feel free to JB your device.

And most definitely, Apple HATES us Jailbreakers. And I must laugh at this idea that Apple is somehow trying to collect info on political opponents. Not even sure what you mean, smiley.

And do not worry about those sleeping under the stars at Apple Camp. I have been told all sorts of things by self-proclaimed Apple Experts. They know nothing except Apple is God like and if Apple hates it, we all must hate it.

The LOC, as I have said, ruled on this issue. Do not fear fines and the cyber police (whoever they are) can't fine you. So stop listening to the Apple Campers. You will go insane.

I do not agree with everything everyone here says, but I think you can trust the familiars. We/they will not BS you and we are not one gosh darn bit worried about the concerns you have expressed because we know Apple will not come after us. About all they can do is change iOS to make it "impossible" to JB. Like that would really work, LOL.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I cant find it now but on Apple's disclaimer it says something like Apple can exploit information on anyone who breaches, modifies, alters their products and share this with authorities, is it possible that once you jail break your ipad, iphone etc that your vulnerable to anyone from Apple or 3rd party developers to snoop, modify, gather information from your device with out your consent legally since its a catch 22?

Not sure what you think you read is accurate. What disclaimer? Do you mean the Terms of Service or their license agreement(s)?

Apple likely does say they will share evidence of illegal activities with the authorities. I think that is reasonable. What is not reasonable is they will turn information over to the authorities that says you or me or a million others are violating the law by Jailbreaking.

And even more unreasonable is this idea that you will be perp walked out the door by the federal police because you JB an iDevice. That said, if you Jailbreak and start hoarding cracked applications you did not pay for, yes, you could be arrested.

Perhaps you can find the actual text and post it here so we can explain it.

So Jailbreak, be happy, and drink Moxie Soda.

Most reactions