What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a better screen really worth £700?

richkyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been the least enthusiastic about the new iPad than any Apple launch since pre-iPhone 1... They're asking me to experience better graphics for £700. I have to accept shorter battery life and larger / heavier device in exchange for this... It's not got 128GB+ storage (to be honest I want 1TB+, but one step at a time). I therefore still cant get all my photos and a serious number of films on it. I still cant fit any music on it (my preference is Films & Photos). I really think Cloud and 4G are just bar-chat buzz words frankly, as we cant even get 3G right (UK/US particularly).. So, it comes down to the screen it seems (even the processor isn't the A6, but an A5X -"s" instead). Well, given that a vast majourity of people take photos with their mobile phones I'd argue you/they dont even need the better screen anyway (rubbish photos on a decent screen?).. The big jump was iPad 1 > 2 and I think for the first time in 5 years I will just wait for the next version.. I can't justify buying 3 different iPad 64GB WIFI tablets, I'll make do with what I have... What am i missing or is there no discussion once we take the screen upgrade out of the equation? Is there anything else?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You just want to talk yourself out of it

and seem to have done so. The battery life is not shorter, the difference in weight is negligible and I have owned the iPad and iPad 2 as well for comparison. The rear camera is 3-5 times better, it takes dictation, has an incredibly better screen. Who cares about the storage (I have always had 64 gig machines) when you have 500 gig to 1 Terabyte available with a GoFlex Satellite wireless drive like I use? With that solution, not to mention the iCloud, I am surprised that they didn't reduce the storage size, not increase it.

OP
R

richkyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what an odd reply...

For starters I find the whole idea of walking around holding an ipad up to use it as a camera as a bit ridiculous. Talk about asking for someone to snatch it off you. Quite apart from the fact that if its anything like the iPhone 4s camera, it is a pretty poor camera that is several decades away from being an SLR alternative.. Dictation? Lost me there.. Storage: Nothing can compete with proper in-device storage. Your setup is interesting though, i will think about how you do that. Anyway my point is that to get a serious number of apps, games, films, tv show and music, you need more than 64GB. I am a serious junkie for digital content, but honestly I'd be surprised if i was alone. If the Macbook Air can offer 256GB of storage and I own a 128GB USB Stick, I just think it's bit ridiculous that a device as big as an iPad only has 64GB of in-device storage. Being a traveller for work its pretty fundamental to carry as much content around as you can and seeing as that 128GB USB stock only cost me $100, I'm surprised Apple dont just do it to stay ahead. 128GB iPad would have sold it for me. By the way I turned SIRI off in a less than a day. Ridiulously useless toy that doesnt work, full stop.. Worst of all it's US-centric, but they dont tell you that.. Talking to your phone - almost as daft as using an iPad for a camera..

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and seem to have done so. The battery life is not shorter, the difference in weight is negligible and I have owned the iPad and iPad 2 as well for comparison. The rear camera is 3-5 times better, it takes dictation, has an incredibly better screen. Who cares about the storage (I have always had 64 gig machines) when you have 500 gig to 1 Terabyte available with a GoFlex Satellite wireless drive like I use? With that solution, not to mention the iCloud, I am surprised that they didn't reduce the storage size, not increase it.

Increasing the internal storage won't affect overall size of the iPad, so I don't understand your argument for a smaller internal storage. How is carrying a secondary storage device better than having the storage internal? I would say you would be in the minority that would prefer to have a small storage iPad coupled with a 500 GB wireless drive over a 500 GB iPad. iCloud won't solve the issue of 8 GB HD movies any time soon.

Last edited:

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't like it...... Don't buy it :) End of story.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Someone wrote that they want 1TB of storage INSIDE a TABLET! HA.....do ya know how much that much solid state storage cost? And why does one need to carry all of that around everywhere one goes? That's just sheer crazy, ain't it? Try making some content rather than just consuming it.

What amazes me is that folks have zero concept of what it takes to put a device like a tablet together and sell it to people at a price they can afford. And have it have all day battery life. No concept of what is affordable and even what is truly useful. What's even worse yet...is folks have no sense of style and taste...and what's important to getting stuff done. And nobody reads anymore either....Siri is a beta...

But OP you're right....skip this model. It's not for you. It's not worth your money. Keep on dreaming about that magical device. It will probably show up this summer on a Droid.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone wrote that they want 1TB of storage INSIDE a TABLET! HA.....do ya know how much that much solid state storage cost? And why does one need to carry all of that around everywhere one goes? That's just sheer crazy, ain't it? Try making some content rather than just consuming it.

What amazes me is that folks have zero concept of what it takes to put a device like a tablet together and sell it to people at a price they can afford. And have it have all day battery life. No concept of what is affordable and even what is truly useful. What's even worse yet...is folks have no sense of style and taste...and what's important to getting stuff done. And nobody reads anymore either....Siri is a beta...

But OP you're right....skip this model. It's not for you. It's not worth your money. Keep on dreaming about that magical device. It will probably show up this summer on a Droid.

Simple solution though would just put in an SDXC slot, no would complain about storage content. Mac mini has one, it would be nice to transfer data between the two easily that way. I guess put that on my wish list, but likely will never happen list. One can dream though.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not understand why it is Apple's or the iPad's fault that someone does not decide to upgrade every year? Should I buy a new car every year? Should I replace my television every year? Things are not obsolete just because a new model comes out. If that were true, I would be overloading the salvage yard while filing bankruptcy.

If you do not buy an iPad, it is because you do not have a reason to buy one. Please do not go on and on about how Apple failed you. We respect your decision, respect the decision of those who bought one, or are going to buy one.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been the least enthusiastic about the new iPad than any Apple launch since pre-iPhone 1... They're asking me to experience better graphics for £700. I have to accept shorter battery life and larger / heavier device in exchange for this... It's not got 128GB+ storage (to be honest I want 1TB+, but one step at a time). I therefore still cant get all my photos and a serious number of films on it. I still cant fit any music on it (my preference is Films & Photos). I really think Cloud and 4G are just bar-chat buzz words frankly, as we cant even get 3G right (UK/US particularly).. So, it comes down to the screen it seems (even the processor isn't the A6, but an A5X -"s" instead). Well, given that a vast majourity of people take photos with their mobile phones I'd argue you/they dont even need the better screen anyway (rubbish photos on a decent screen?).. The big jump was iPad 1 > 2 and I think for the first time in 5 years I will just wait for the next version.. I can't justify buying 3 different iPad 64GB WIFI tablets, I'll make do with what I have... What am i missing or is there no discussion once we take the screen upgrade out of the equation? Is there anything else?

Please, please, I beg, lets not start this discussion up again, there is too many of these treads already comparing the differences between the two. If you do not feel it is worth it do not buy it.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Like a lot of responders on here I do not get the argument for a massive drive. I also enjoy getting hold of the max available storage space. However with 64Gb I can have a fantastic range of music, photos, apps and films / tv shows. When there is enough mixed content available on any device to last you say for a 48 or 72 hour time frame where is the problem. Personally I swap most content with films / TV shows. I buy and store apps - and could probably weed out maybe 30% of them as not really being actively used - however they can stay resident because I sill have lots of capacity. I can carry a good 2 or more full series of long running TV shows (e.g. Lost, 24, Sopranos, Wire) and still have room for several movies - and still normally have a good 3 - 4 Gb free.

Syncing to content on what for me is now 3 drives with going on over 3Tb of data from local pc works fine. You can swap out watched content upon a morning having breakfast as the iTunes sync is a simple matter of flagging what you want.

If you are a content junkie for video and pics you'd definitely appreciate the screen. I can appreciate though that a step from iPad 2 to New iPad seems like having to pay a higher price for the luxury. Personally I took the 'odd number' upgrade philosophy so moving from original iPad to the new iPad. For me I had the same argument and internal dialog for iPad 2. For me as the actual screen resolution was no different and the camera function was not something I was specifically crying out for it made sense.

I'd skip this generation and make do with your current iPad too and just 'plan' a little for what actual content you'd want for a specific time frame - and probably actually get to enjoy more of your sizeable content. No doubt you will see when the 4th generation iPad comes out it will be worth and upgrade, meanwhile I will still be waiting for the next 'odd' number upgrade with the 5th generation.

SquiderDragon

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like a lot of responders on here I do not get the argument for a massive drive. I also enjoy getting hold of the max available storage space. However with 64Gb I can have a fantastic range of music, photos, apps and films / tv shows. When there is enough mixed content available on any device to last you say for a 48 or 72 hour time frame where is the problem. Personally I swap most content with films / TV shows. I buy and store apps - and could probably weed out maybe 30% of them as not really being actively used - however they can stay resident because I sill have lots of capacity. I can carry a good 2 or more full series of long running TV shows (e.g. Lost, 24, Sopranos, Wire) and still have room for several movies - and still normally have a good 3 - 4 Gb free.

Syncing to content on what for me is now 3 drives with going on over 3Tb of data from local pc works fine. You can swap out watched content upon a morning having breakfast as the iTunes sync is a simple matter of flagging what you want.

If you are a content junkie for video and pics you'd definitely appreciate the screen. I can appreciate though that a step from iPad 2 to New iPad seems like having to pay a higher price for the luxury. Personally I took the 'odd number' upgrade philosophy so moving from original iPad to the new iPad. For me I had the same argument and internal dialog for iPad 2. For me as the actual screen resolution was no different and the camera function was not something I was specifically crying out for it made sense.

I'd skip this generation and make do with your current iPad too and just 'plan' a little for what actual content you'd want for a specific time frame - and probably actually get to enjoy more of your sizeable content. No doubt you will see when the 4th generation iPad comes out it will be worth and upgrade, meanwhile I will still be waiting for the next 'odd' number upgrade with the 5th generation.

SquiderDragon

What resolution are those videos in? You wouldn't be able to fit all that in full 1080p. I think even 720p runs about 2 GB per hour of video, 1080p is around 4 GB per hour. That is the problem I run into, they give us this great retina screen that begs for 1080p video, but I can't store much video on it. A 128 GB option would be just about perfect though.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What resolution are those videos in? You wouldn't be able to fit all that in full 1080p. I think even 720p runs about 2 GB per hour of video, 1080p is around 4 GB per hour. That is the problem I run into, they give us this great retina screen that begs for 1080p video, but I can't store much video on it. A 128 GB option would be just about perfect though.

Good Point! Most of the vids and films are avi conversions so lo res. I do have some that are at 720p and yes they take room. Yes obviously the 720p rez is much more impressive and as yet I have not had 1080p to try. As per usual with content sourcing and buying the sexier hi rez content tends to be more pricey. This is normal of course as in Blu Ray format versus DVD. I'd agree probably if you wanted the same quantity of hi rez content available all at once 128Gb would be ideal. There were rumours around the lead up to launch that a 128Gb version may be an option - no doubt with a higher price tag. I'd probably have gone for that though if available. This will become a theme I think - depends on the real penetration of LTE - if you can stream HD content at a reasonable cost via a service that would mitigate need for on larger online tablet disc size. I can see that its possible that a larger storage capacity may arrive on or before the generally available rollout of LTE and a reasonable cost - comparable to the current 3G price plans. As ever competition and technology are going to push for higher specs at lower costs.

SquiderDragon

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Point! Most of the vids and films are avi conversions so lo res. I do have some that are at 720p and yes they take room. Yes obviously the 720p rez is much more impressive and as yet I have not had 1080p to try. As per usual with content sourcing and buying the sexier hi rez content tends to be more pricey. This is normal of course as in Blu Ray format versus DVD. I'd agree probably if you wanted the same quantity of hi rez content available all at once 128Gb would be ideal. There were rumours around the lead up to launch that a 128Gb version may be an option - no doubt with a higher price tag. I'd probably have gone for that though if available. This will become a theme I think - depends on the real penetration of LTE - if you can stream HD content at a reasonable cost via a service that would mitigate need for on larger online tablet disc size. I can see that its possible that a larger storage capacity may arrive on or before the generally available rollout of LTE and a reasonable cost - comparable to the current 3G price plans. As ever competition and technology are going to push for higher specs at lower costs.

SquiderDragon

Although I wouldn't want to pay for the same movie twice. If I already own the blu-ray, I am not going to pay to stream it HD when I can load it onto my iPad for free.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Texas Holders said:

Where are you getting these numbers? I haved used handbrake to transcodes lots of blu-ray movies to 1080p encodes and it really depends on the transcode you do. There are no no hard and fast rules about the size of movie files on disk. Heck, a mkv take straight off a blu ray using makeMKV can be 40GB+.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where are you getting these numbers? I haved used handbrake to transcodes lots of blu-ray movies to 1080p encodes and it really depends on the transcode you do. There are no no hard and fast rules about the size of movie files on disk. Heck, a mkv take straight off a blu ray using makeMKV can be 40GB+.

Just rough estimates based on personal experience ripping blu-rays and the size of files on iTunes. iTunes 720p HD movies are roughly 2 GB per hour. I think Apple has even stated that their SD videos are around 1 GB per hour and HD 2 GB per hour. I have purchased several TV shows in HD off of iTunes and they are generally around 1.5 GB for a 40-45 minute show. It does depend on the setting you are using to encode on Handbrake, but most of the TV shows/movies I have ripped in 1080p are around 4 GB per hour. This makes sense since 1080p has roughly twice the pixel density over 720p. You do get a bit of a break in size with feature films since Handbrake doesn't include the black bars when it encodes it. This number is dependent on the final quality you really want though. Also, keep in mind that when you pull the mkv, it takes everything including menus, alternate scenes, extra languages, closed captioning, etc... The actual movie itself isn't nearly that large. On the other hand, digital media is nowhere close to replacing blu-rays as some might have you believe as you are sacrificing quality a bit to make the file size more managable. If I have the choice to watch a movie on blu-ray or a 1080p digital copy, I choose blu-ray every time.

Edit: A link to what Apple states for their digital copy file size: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1906.
How large is the average movie?
A 2 hour SD movie is about 1.5 GB, and a 2 hour HD movie is about 4 GB.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts