What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 16 GB Enough?

Animalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted the 32 gb but got late to the store and only 16 gb was left so I decided to buy it but they told me that if I changed my mind and did not open it I could give it back but I had only 7 days and I could get another model. I do not want to store music just apps and videos.

What should I do?

Joybulb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hold out for what you want. I found a 16 and thought about it but my wife told me I Should wait for what I wanted. 2 days later I found a 32, and I'm glad I waited.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should wait. Videos take a lot more than music. I have 64GB and it is almost full already. I could fill it 30 times over. I do have a "few" comics on it though. For an average movie you need 700mb of space. So you may only get 10 movies on at a time leaving little room for apps. My current apps use up about 25GB.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And that is 200 apps. Although the comics are counted in the app size

64GB 3G White iPad

MexiCanuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.dreaminmexico.com
When I got my first 20 MB hard drive I thought I would never fill it. Yes, 29 MB, Not GB.

When I bought my first iPod, I thought I was being excessive at getting 80 GB. I was wrong.

When I bought my first iPad a week ago, I was disappointed that here was no 128 GB model. I bought a 64 and I expect we will buy another 64 in the next few weeks.

There is always the potential for not enough storage. I have never had too much storage room.

A couple of weeks ago I started ripping DVDs to put on the iPad. They average around 2 GB each. When we go on vacation we want enough DVDs to last us. I don't think that 25 will be too many. Add some music and apps, and there goes 64 GB.

I thing Apple charges too much for memory. But I don't want to be caught short.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol yeah I was excited when I got a 25 Meg drive in my 486 pc.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MexiCanuck said:
A couple of weeks ago I started ripping DVDs to put on the iPad. They average around 2 GB each. When we go on vacation we want enough DVDs to last us. I don't think that 25 will be too many. Add some music and apps, and there goes 64 GB.

Try Videora. It should get them down to 700mb. It's free. I don't know if it will rip from DVD but it will convert the ones you have ripped already.

64GB 3G White iPad

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
You seriously have to ask yourself if you need to have every app available on your ipad and if you need to carry 8 movies with you at all times.
I have 16gb and my iTunes library have probably 150 apps (that's on my computer) , out of those theres probably 30 on my iPad, boiling it down I probably use 5 to 6 of those apps a day...

Point is, stop treating the iPad as a stand alone unit and sync every once in awhile .
That way you don't need to worry about space.... (42)

Last edited:
OP
A

Animalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about cloud storage? sites like dropbox, etc can you store apps there? Is that enough? Is it good? I have no idea when the Ipad 2 or even the 32 GB will be on sale again because this thing is selling like crazy and Apple is not sending enough to this stores so is making my decision a lot harder.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max said:
You seriously have to ask yourself if you need to have every app available on your ipad and if you need to carry 8 movies with you at all times.
I have 16gb and my iTunes library have probably 150 apps (that's on my computer) , out of those theres probably 30 on my iPad, boiling it down I probably use 5 to 6 of those apps a day...

Point is, stop treating the iPad as a stand alone unit and sync every once in awhile .

Who wants to run home and sync if you find yourself needing an app or game when you are out? If you have an app or game you want to show someone.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those dropbox things are ok if you have a good data plan. I have 500mb a month. No you can't put apps in them.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Animalistic said:
What can you put in them?

Don't know. I'm guessing pictures and files like word documents.

64GB 3G White iPad

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Max said:

Who wants to run home and sync if you find yourself needing an app or game when you are out? If you have an app or game you want to show someone.

64GB 3G White iPad

If it's a really ultra super duper cool app, why not keep it on your pad. :)

Otherwise just download it again, if you purchased it once you can download it as many times as you want....

There's no way there's 16gb of apps you will need through out the day....

but...on a professional note, my girlfriend is an architect and have her iPad (32gb) pretty slammed with PDFs and jpgs.

You just have to ask yourself what you're going to use your iPad for the most and buy accordingly....

Fenriq007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figure 16gb is enough for me but I have a 32 gb iPhone with all my music and videos on it. iPad2 is for books and apps and if I want to watch a movie on the bigger screen I have airveiw for that to stream movies form my iPhone to my iPad and last I have photos and misc stuff on dropbox plus when I travel I also have my 32gb first gen iPad aswell for backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts