What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much space do I really need? (everyone has this prob)

TJCloutier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting my iPad2 within the next couple days (wifi) and wondering which version I should get.... I was thinking just the 16 GB since I have a 32GB iPhone 4 anyway.

My main purpose of using this is in my car, getting a car mount and playing songs on it (I know the hardware I need already) And if needed I could always plug in my iPhone 4 to it and play songs through that. So here are the possible solutions that I could get and I'm wondering on which one and why you guys would pick it. If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks!

16 GB iPad 2... 48 GB total between iPhone and iPad 2
32 GB iPad 2... 64 GB total between iPhone and iPad 2
64 GB iPad 2... 96 GB total between iPhone and iPad 2.

I know the 64 GB could be overkill but I have 35 GB of music on my computer (no I don't listen to it all OBV, I know) but I like to just have all the artists I like right there you know? This way if I'm ever in the car I can be just like, "oh I have that song!" and get it. Plus I could have tons of video on it as well.

I don't know, I guess it's ultimately up to me, but what would you guys do?

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJCloutier said:
Getting my iPad2 within the next couple days (wifi) and wondering which version I should get.... I was thinking just the 16 GB since I have a 32GB iPhone 4 anyway.

My main purpose of using this is in my car, getting a car mount and playing songs on it (I know the hardware I need already) And if needed I could always plug in my iPhone 4 to it and play songs through that. So here are the possible solutions that I could get and I'm wondering on which one and why you guys would pick it. If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks!

I know the 64 GB could be overkill but I have 35 GB of music on my computer (no I don't listen to it all OBV, I know) but I like to just have all the artists I like right there you know? This way if I'm ever in the car I can be just like, "oh I have that song!" and get it. Plus I could have tons of video on it as well.

If you're going to use it for a car mount maybe you should buy a first gen instead. AT&T is selling the 64 gig 3G for $529 which is an awesome price for a car computer and you have the added ability of having Internet and GPS.

Sent from my iPad

OP
T

TJCloutier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJCloutier said:

If you're going to use it for a car mount maybe you should buy a first gen instead. AT&T is selling the 64 gig 3G for $529 which is an awesome price for a car computer and you have the added ability of having Internet and GPS.

Sent from my iPad

Well I jailbroke my iPhone 4 so I can use that as a modem for the iPad/iPad2. I want to be able to take it out and plan on using it on the go as well though. But I want to be able to put it in my car when I go out for everyday - relatively easily you know? So I only need the wifi one, not to mention the iPad 2 is clearly the better buy. Hell it's only like 100 bucks cheaper for the iPad.

EDIT- Assuming that I CAN still use my iPhone as a modem for tethering and they don't crackdown THAT much...

Last edited:

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJCloutier said:
Well I jailbroke my iPhone 4 so I can use that as a modem for the iPad/iPad2. I want to be able to take it out and plan on using it on the go as well though. But I want to be able to put it in my car when I go out for everyday - relatively easily you know? So I only need the wifi one, not to mention the iPad 2 is clearly the better buy. Hell it's only like 100 bucks cheaper for the iPad.

EDIT- Assuming that I CAN still use my iPhone as a modem for tethering and they don't crackdown THAT much...

I don't think you read what I said right. It's $300 cheaper than the same spec in the 2nd gen which is a fantastic deal. I have a 2nd gen iPad and having played with both iPads there isn't that much of a difference unless you're a gamer.

Sent from my iPad

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJC I would got with iPad 1 32 gig If all you care about Is music. Not worth paying 1000 (by the time u buy mounts wires and cases) to listen to ur fav artists over n over

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While I have the 64GB, and will probably get the 64GB again, I'm not 'normal'. I think the 32GB is the sweet spot.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how much are you into gaming with the IPad2.

Cause of the better graphics way better games with way better graphics and way bigger content will come up in the future which will take way more space.

Infinity Blade got 548MB
Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus HD got 450MB
Eternal Legacy HD got 579MB
Prince of Persia Warrior Within HD got 665MB
Splinter Cell COnviction 550MB
Dungeon Hunter 2 HD 467MB

thats all newer 3D games for the IPad 1, and everyone is round a half GB, now if you plan to take a lot of music on the IPad and/or Movies the 32GB model is very fast maxed out imho.

I will not take my music on the IPad2 but movies and games, and i think that 32GB wotn be enough, i stick with the 64GB model.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB and there are times I wish I'd got the 32 and I will probably more so now that I got the 2. But what I do when in a pinch is use the app store as a "cloud". I delete and re-download the apps I don't want and do want respectively. As many know, once you buy an app you can re-download it for free whenever you want.

As to the battery issue, it still have never run out of juice before I get home or can access an outlet when I've done this. But I always do it on Wi-Fi, probably it would drain much more on 3G.

Most people will not see this as a worthwhile way to manage space but it works for me.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I have the 64GB, and will probably get the 64GB again, I'm not 'normal'. I think the 32GB is the sweet spot.
This is NOT a
news-flash.jpg

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned every generation of computer and storage available since I got my first Commodore C-64 in 1980. I actually still have a receipt for a 250MegaByte hard drive upgrade that cost me $500 at the time (and that was a good deal then).

If I've learned anything in the last 30+ years of computing it would be that you can never have too much storage....

sHa_thumb2.gif

DHS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently took a trip to Africa where I used my iPad to store and view my photos. It's a great use of the iPad and I really needed all the memory my 64 had.

When it comes time to sell your iPad, if it has more memory you'll get more for it. Getting all the memory you can seems like a no brainer to me.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I regard 32 gigs as the Default Choice. It’s not necessarily the best choice ... but it’s the perfect spot from which to begin the decision-making process.

You can save $100 and get the 16 gig model instead. But is it worth the tradeoff? Keep in mind that many movies weigh in at more than a gigabyte and many games come with hundreds of megs of data. A 16 gigabyte iPad is still very useful, but there’ll be some circumstances — particularly when you’re traveling — when you can’t carry all the stuff you’d like.

Or, you can get the 64 gig iPad for just a hundred bucks more than the 32 gig model. Do you really need double the storage? "
iPad 2 buying guide - if you can find one - Chicago Sun-Times

If your into photography the extra storage is sweet.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I would go for the 64Gb if you can afford it but, I agree with the advice about the 32Gb being a good starter choice. When I got the 1st gen Ipad, it was just the 16Gb model. I didn't know until i started using it how much I'd need but, when I started putting movies and music on it, it filled up quick.

I now have the 64GB Ipad 2 and, it's nice to have all that space left, with all my movies and, entire music library on it. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts