What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone & iPad are Criticized Secretly Tracking Users’ Location Datas

shuiping56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
News in 21 April, lately, 2 programmers Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden discovered Apple are secretly tracking location datas of iPhone 4/iPad users , this might be the most serious privacy invasion of Apple.
The 2 programmers found that, since iOS released, Apple products based on that started tracking and storing users’ geo-locations, even attached timestamps. Such actions are running on the backstage, so uers have no idea of that. Allan said: “We’re not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it’s clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations.” But he also explained there is no evidence showed these datas have been transmitted to Apple.
What’s worse, these stored datas haven’t been encrypted, no any protection at all. That means when users are synchronically with other equipment, these datas are completely open to the synchronical equipments, so it’s easy to know where you lived in, where are you dinning、working and playing around.
Named “ iphone Tracker”, the program is used to display users’ loocations collected via iOS. Allan and Warden said, these information are saved in the consolidated.db.Allan and Warden have get in touch with Apple security group, no reply yet.

In fact, it’s not strange that Facebook Places and other map tools and navigation applies all based on that theory. However, what’s astonished people is Apple stored these information in iOS system where anybody could get the information.
Andrew Storms, the security researcher of nCircle claimed : “Apple has made it not just possible, but relatively easy, for almost anyone with access to your iOS device to get detailed information about where you have been, without your consent or knowledge”
Apple is preparing for a lawsuit, but it’s not hard to imagine Apple may take advantage of these information.
Fred Touchette, senior security analyst at AppRiver said:” Imagine what evildoers could do with that info; they could easily recognize daily patterns and know how long you’ll be away from your home or office. There is also a possibility such information can be accessed remotely with custom crafted malware, and then sold on the black market much like cyber criminals currently sell credit card information.”
Obviously, Apple owe an explaination to consumers. Perhaps it’s hard to find a resonable explaination to say why they invaded consumers’ privacy.
Actually, Apple has been sued for transmitting consumers’ personal information to Ad Networks. We have no idea why should Apple repeat the same mistake, but we do hope our privacy could be guarded.

source from:http://www.ces-shopping.com/cesblog/?p=847

Last edited:

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not claiming to be a genius, but did no-one else know this prior to this revelation. What else did people think the location settings were all about. Really!!!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another case of what you read on the Internet just might not be accurate.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Q&A on Location Data

Another tidbit:

The Federal Communication Commission's 2005 Enhanced 911 (E911) rule requires cell phone providers to be able to locate 911 callers "within 50 to 300 meters in most cases" and to provide that information within six months of a government request. To be compliant, most cell phone carriers have installed global positioning satellite chips into cell phones, which can track a user's position to within the mandated range.

Am betting that anyone with a Facebook account has more personal information spread all over the Internet than what location services collects on all mobile devices (not just Apple's).

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:
Another case of what you read on the Internet just might not be accurate.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Q&A on Location Data

Another tidbit:

Am betting that anyone with a Facebook account has more personal information spread all over the Internet than what location services collects on all mobile devices (not just Apple's).

Agreed.

Reaction score
There has been a news on this already,

Anyhow, this does not track where the iPhone/iPad has been!

It tracks the positions of radio masts, including the time when the contact has been made. Radio mast signals can travel a few kilometers, so the data is nowhere an accurate history of where the user has been.

So when you search through the file you can find out when and where the iPhone/iPad has made contact with radio masts, but it doesn't tell you where your device has been. Only remotely.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
There has been a news on this already,

Anyhow, this does not track where the iPhone/iPad has been!

It tracks the positions of radio masts, including the time when the contact has been made. Radio mast signals can travel a few kilometers, so the data is nowhere an accurate history of where the user has been.

So when you search through the file you can find out when and where the iPhone/iPad has made contact with radio masts.

Much like we have seen on 24.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not claiming to be a genius, but did no-one else know this prior to this revelation. What else did people think the location settings were all about. Really!!!!

Lol. That's why I wondered what the fuss was about. Plus, there are plenty of people collecting badges and such on some social networking apps, basically volunteering info on their movements.

Anyway, if anyone is specifically tracking my movements, they might want to apply for boredom pay.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am back home from work if anyone is tracking me...that includes the satellites on 24.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
Well I am back home from work if anyone is tracking me...that includes the satellites on 24.

Watch out for those SUV's parked outside, it'll be CTU getting ready to bust your door down!

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
It's ok, Bauer and I are close personal friends.

Hmm, well you must have seen what happens to all his close personal friends!

The Archangel

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There was a movie (Enemy of the state?) where the FBI/CIA were using satellites to follow Will Smith (or Denzel Washington?) around. Total rubbish of course as the resolution of the satellites is nowhere near that good but no worse then the many TV shows and Movies where they increase the resolution of CCTV to get a perfect picture of someones face (in Eagle Eye they did it from a reflection on the side of a van!!!)

Tracking us to within a few hundred meters seems trivial by comparison :)

Most reactions

Latest posts