What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad4 Not charging

tk007b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an iPad4 that has suddenly decided not to charge anymore. I know the charger is working/good as it charges my iPhone (and I have multiple chargers)

I have restored the iPad and have also changed the charging port but it will still not charge.

Odd things to note are the following:-
1. I have a picture of a red empty battery, with a lightning sign and cable but when I plug in the lightning lead, the picture of the lightning sign and the cable disappears. However, it does not charge the iPad. This means it detects that I have plugged in the cable but does not charge.
2. I can restore my device with a USB cable connected to iTunes, so the cable seems to be good
3. once I restored my iPad, the charge wen tup to 12% and I re-set up my iPad. I though it was fixed but it slowly counted down from 12% despite me trying 3 different cables and chargers (note that the lightning/charging icon appeared initially but after about 2 mins, went off and would not come back on.
4. A brand new charging port did not make any difference
5. When the iPad was working at 12% it behaved normally, with the exception of not charging.
6. I have left the charger in overnight but still get the empty red battery icon in the morning

Do you think it may be worth changing the internal batteries ?

It is well out of warranty and not sure what Apple would do to help ?

Is there anything else I can try ?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

TK

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be worth taking it to Apple for diagnostics. If the battery is toast, they'll tell you what it will cost to replace.

The diagnostic service is free.

OP
T

tk007b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys
The battery seemed in pretty good shape prior to the fault and even when it went up to 12% when I restored it lasted pretty long before running out.
Sounds like a board level fix :-(
Just have to find someone that can do it but will try Apple first
Thanks again
TK

OP
T

tk007b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Brian
I am in a place called Bristol in southwest England, so just over the pond :)

Will check out local repair shops to see if they can fix it, gutted the charging port didn't resolve it but there you go !

Will let you know how I get on :)

Thanks very much for your messages !

Cheers

TK

OP
T

tk007b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interestingly, I tested a theory last night.

I put my iPad4 in DFU mode, plugged my mains charger into it and left it over night.
In the morning, I unplugged the charging lead and booted up my iPad and it was at 100% battery, which has kept charge in a way that would suggest that the batteries are fine.

Given this, do you think it may still be the U2 irc charging chip (yes, I have been googling too) or does that tell us something new ?

Please note: The lightning/charging icon did not appear when the iPad was switched on, when I re-inserted the charger lead.

Many thanks

TK

So to summarise:-
1. My iPad is recognised by iTunes
2. My iPad can be restored by iTunes (successfully)
3. Charging in DFU mode seems to work
4. Charging whilst the iPad is on or off, does not work
5. Other than the charging issue, my iPad4 behaves normally

OP
T

tk007b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I've done (twice)

.. oh well, the hunt for someone local who can replace the U2 chip begins .. just hope it's that !

Will let you know how I get on

Cheers

TK :)

OP
T

tk007b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Brian,
That's really good advice. I tweeted them a couple of days ago and they pointing me to the fake charging fault (U2 Chip). Have asked for shops in my area.
Really appreciate your support on this issue :)
Thanks again

TK

Most reactions

Latest posts