What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 suddenly not charging at wall! ...on Christmas eve... Help!

Crane2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, we purchased an iPad 4 for my son in November. No problems at all until last night. He plugged it in to charge and this morning, it is still not charged. Just showing the plug it in icon (which of course we had done). I have tried my iPad 2 plug unit but unable as yet to try an alternative lightning cable as it the only lightning device we have...until Santa comes tonight. Would love to know if anyone else had trouble with the cable or if it is more likely an iPad issue. This will help me to decide whether to hotfoot it to the i store or just await new cable from Santa. Thank you.

OP
C

Crane2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. We have found a friend with Lightning cable and it works :eek: but will, thanks to your advice, pop into shop and get them to check it out and switch cable. Many thanks and happy Christmas!

Judyaf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crane2,

If you are on line, please stand by. I am on the ipad and will move to the computer to help you isolate the promlem.

Mick (Judy's husband.)

Judyaf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crane2,

I am on the computer, where I can see the type better.

Before making the trip to the store to exchange the cable, there are a couple things we can try.

Try you cable once again. If it still does not work. remove the cable, turn it upside down and reinsert. If that does not work, then we can go from there. The reason why I am replying (since you have already tried a different cord with positive results), is that the cord itself is fairly simple, and failure of a cord is not something expected. There are more things you can try before making the trip.

Mick

OP
C

Crane2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mick, but have already sent hubby and son to istore. Did rotate cable and i agree it seems strange that cable should suddenly stop working but jersey is quite little so a trip to town not a big problem. Thank you for your time. What a lovely forum. Will update when back from apple shop. Merry christmas. :)

Judyaf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, your i store is open at this time of the morning?? I will watch for the update. In the meantime, let me wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Mick

OP
C

Crane2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We live in Jersey, channel islands, uk...the original...so 11am here.:) have a lovely time and thanks again.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have bought about 5 extra lightning cables off amazon. I don't like having only one cable for a lot of reasons. The ones on amazon are cheap, but they seem to work for both charging and sync'ing. Other may prefer to stay with apple cables, but these were like $2 a piece. :)

Most reactions