What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad3 bandwidth Concerns

UgashikBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the process of downloading IOS 6.1 upadate (1.11GB). That along with the constant updates to the applications is causing bandwidth usage issues with my ISP. Is anyone aware of an app that logs bandwidth useage by apps to identify the hogs. Also any way to evaluate apps before download in terms of potential bandwidth useage? I see very little if any documentation on what to expect in terms of bandwidth usage in general from the Ipad. Any pointers to doc on this would be appreciated.

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1.11GB for IOS 6.0.1 ?
Mine was something like 25MB +/-
J

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the process of downloading IOS 6.1 upadate (1.11GB). That along with the constant updates to the applications is causing bandwidth usage issues with my ISP. Is anyone aware of an app that logs bandwidth useage by apps to identify the hogs. Also any way to evaluate apps before download in terms of potential bandwidth useage? I see very little if any documentation on what to expect in terms of bandwidth usage in general from the Ipad. Any pointers to doc on this would be appreciated.

I don't know why you need an app for this. Video is going to be the big thing, so if you're are streaming video, it's going to use a lot of your data plan. Music streaming is not nearly as bad, but if you do it for hours it will add up. And most apps don't run at the same time, so you have total control of what is using your data. Email is pretty low unless you get large file attachments with the.

OP
U

UgashikBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC:
Thank you for the clarification. When I attempted to download the 6.1 update via itunes on my pc the file was 1.11GB. When I attempted it with my ipad connected directly to my wifi it was 52mb. Why does Itunes make the file 20x larger?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC:
Thank you for the clarification. When I attempted to download the 6.1 update via itunes on my pc the file was 1.11GB. When I attempted it with my ipad connected directly to my wifi it was 52mb. Why does Itunes make the file 20x larger?

That is a good question that I have no answer for. I would guess it is in a container of some sort for some reason.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could be wrong (it happens with alarming regularity!) but through iTunes you download the whole OS, with OTA from the iPad you are getting delta updates, which are just the changed or new files.

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only time you should see a full iOS download over the air is if you are updating from more than one version back. IE 5.1.1 to 6.0 is a full download. iOS 6 to 6.0.1 is a delta patch. But the final choice on which way is done is up to Apple so there is no real way to predict it yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts