What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerns on upgrading iPad3 5.1.1 to 6.1(JB)

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was a little late on the action and noticed that everyone is now talking about IOS6.1 JB.

I am currently on 5.1.1 and love it, prefer having Youtube as well as the original Maps application by Google.

I understand that the 6.1 window may not be open very long and am trying to decide what to do. Should I upgrade to 6.1 and lose Maps and Youtube or stay on 5.1.1? If I update to 6.1 and don't like it, would I be able to go back to 5.1.1? I understand you need blobs for 4.x to go back to 5.1.1 which I don't have as I just bought the iPad3 very recently (just after iPad4 came out) and it came with 5.1.1 stock.

Is it possible to get blobs for 6.1 or something so that even if I don't go to 6.1 now, I can still go to 6.1 in the future? Or is it such that if I don't go to 6.1 now (irreversibly), and Apple goes 6.1.1, then I will have to be content on 5.1.1 till the next jailbreak?

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the incentives of going to 6.1 are? From what I see, almost 99% of apps run fine on 5.1.1. I only had one app which I had to forgo because it requires 6.x.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kerean said:
Hi,

I was a little late on the action and noticed that everyone is now talking about IOS6.1 JB.

I am currently on 5.1.1 and love it, prefer having Youtube as well as the original Maps application by Google.

I understand that the 6.1 window may not be open very long and am trying to decide what to do. Should I upgrade to 6.1 and lose Maps and Youtube or stay on 5.1.1? If I update to 6.1 and don't like it, would I be able to go back to 5.1.1? I understand you need blobs for 4.x to go back to 5.1.1 which I don't have as I just bought the iPad3 very recently (just after iPad4 came out) and it came with 5.1.1 stock.

Is it possible to get blobs for 6.1 or something so that even if I don't go to 6.1 now, I can still go to 6.1 in the future? Or is it such that if I don't go to 6.1 now (irreversibly), and Apple goes 6.1.1, then I will have to be content on 5.1.1 till the next jailbreak?

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the incentives of going to 6.1 are? From what I see, almost 99% of apps run fine on 5.1.1. I only had one app which I had to forgo because it requires 6.x.

If you like to jb then I would update to 6.1. Google has their own maps now and I think it's better. There is still a YouTube app that also works great. So if those are your main reasons not wanting to upgrade I would do it, just my personal opinion though.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kerean said:
Hi,

If you want, check out the evasi0n official website.http://evasi0n.com/

If you delay until Apple releases their next iOS update, you will lose the chance to upgrade to iOS 6.1 and the ability to take advantage of the iOS 6 jailbreak. You can save iOS 6.1 blobs without having to be on that iOS, but they'll be of no use to upgrade to iOS 6.1 after Apple stops signing it. When Apple released iOS 6.1, the signing window for iOS 6.0.1 closed almost instantly, don't expect any garage period next time.

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm google maps only work for iPhone, there isn't an iPad version yet though...
If you like to jb then I would update to 6.1. Google has their own maps now and I think it's better. There is still a YouTube app that also works great. So if those are your main reasons not wanting to upgrade I would do it, just my personal opinion though.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kerean said:
Hmm google maps only work for iPhone, there isn't an iPad version yet though...

The Google maps app, although designed for the iPhone, will work on the iPad as well.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The Google maps app, although designed for the iPhone, will work on the iPad as well.

True, I have a jb ipad 2 and installed the iPhone version of google maps on it

alfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add to the original post.

My iPad 3 is presently on iOS 5.1 and i dont need the features of ios6, if I don't upgrade to ios 6.1 and jailbreak it now
do I lose or risk Anything?

This question also applies to my iPad 2 which is presently jailbroken on iOS 5.1

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't jailbreak the iPad 2 and iPad 3 on iOS 5.1, not even a tethered jailbreak.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be specific iPad 3 is jailbroken on iPad 5.1.1 and iPad 2 on 5.0.1

There's a difference between saying iOS 5.1 and 5.0.1/5.1.1. 5.1 cannot be jailbroken, but the latter two can be jailbroken.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again and to be specific about the software versions;

My iPad 3 is presently on iOS 5.1.1 and i really need the features of ios6, if I don't upgrade to ios 6.1 and jailbreak it now,
do I lose or risk anything? This question also applies to my iPad 2 which is presently jailbroken on iOS 5..0.1?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once again and to be specific about the software versions;

My iPad 3 is presently on iOS 5.1.1 and i really need the features of ios6, if I don't upgrade to ios 6.1 and jailbreak it now,
do I lose or risk anything? This question also applies to my iPad 2 which is presently jailbroken on iOS 5..0.1?

If the next iOS update release released by Apple plugs the exploits used by the Evasi0n jailbreak, you will lose your chance at the iOS 6 jailbreak, unless having iOS 6 blobs allows you to upgrade. There is no guarantee that this will be possible, so you should seriously consider upgrading your iPads to iOS 6.1.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing you'll be missing out when you're on iOS 5 instead iOS 6 will be the apps/tweaks designed solely for iOS 6. If you update to iOS 6, you'll be missing out on the apps/tweaks designed solely for iOS 5 and below. But like Robert said, you'll need blobs saved if you don't want to upgrade now but would like to in the future. By default, Cydia should be saving them for you. Otherwise, make sure that you manually save them using utilities like TinyUmbrella and RedSn0w.

Most reactions

Latest posts