What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 very slow internet browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsspeterson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is my iPad2 surfing the internet at an extremely pace? Sometimes it will not even open the page?? Connected to wifi.

thekellys112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsspeterson said:
Why is my iPad2 surfing the internet at an extremely pace? Sometimes it will not even open the page?? Connected to wifi.

Hi, have you tried switching off the router off and back on and closing down the ipad and switching it back on aswell, i know this is a basic thing but has worked for me in the past. Also try Connecting to the internet with a different device over the same wifi connection and seeing if the speeds are any different to that of your ipad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi there-I hope that you can find your solution. Seems like members have already started helping you with this task, hopefully, you find resolution.

On another note:

Welcome to the iPadForum! This forum is loaded with invaluable information that contain many sections that cover Ipad App Store, Help, General Discussion, Accessories, Ipad Education and Business. The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. See here: http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php

If you have not already, please take a moment to download the iPad Manual User Guide iOS 5. This is extremely helpful if you are new to the iPad world. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Finally, please take a moment to read our Forum Rules: Forum rules - everybody please read!!.

Best Wishes and Enjoy!

fahim8837

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First and explantion: You may recall that when you visit a web site that showshyperlinks to other pages, the hyperlinks are a different color if you have already visited the linked page. Your browser does this by keeping a list of all the pages you have ever visited and then comparing it to the hyperlinks on the page you are about to view. Before fully loading the page, it compares the hyperlink to everyone of the pages you have ever viewed. Let's say you have viewed 1000 pages previously and that the page you are about to view has 20 hyperlinks. Your computer has to perform 20,000 comparisons before it can open the page. That's a lot of work.

You can simply erase your history by selecting Tools, Internet Options, General tab. Select erase history. The obvious disadvantage will be that you won't know if you've been there before. But it should load fast.

Ocracoke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My tale of Wifi woe..

My iPad 1 is very slow on Wifi, seems worst with the latest OS. My wifi strength shows fairly strong on my first floor, the Wifi router is on the second floor, 20 second plus web displays are not uncommon. I installed a repeater on my first floor. The iPad now runs normally. I discovered this by accident walking by the wifi router on the second floor, all of a sudden things improved, greatly. Now I know wifi is strange stuff, a white board on a wall, metal file cabinets or an aquarium of water can block an amazing amount of the signal, i.e. changes in the line of sight of the signal can mess you up. However, where the repeater is located and turned off, I get the poor wifi transfer rates. Back on, the wifi is as it should be. A few things come to mind, the repeater might just be more powerful and can see the router better upstairs, the iPad hardware may no longer have to deal with the weak router signal, that is, the repeater does (a guess) deals with resends and its hardware is just faster, I am just closer to the repeater and that wifi strength ICON that the ipad displays is incorrect or overly generous. Try using your iPad while 2 feet away from your wifi router and see what performance you get.

Reaction score
It would also be helpful to quantify your Internet bandwidth. Try an app like[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test and check in various locations. Maybe you can pinpoint something that is blocking your wifi signal.​

Somdee65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have same problem. My ipad 2 very slow on ipd2 even near the router,to solve problem i try of and on wifi.just ok and slow again.what should i do

Ocracoke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying looking at the router's settings if you are using a Verizon router, also routers drop speed in blocks, ex 10 to 5, etc, when having problems with distance.

On a Verizon router it is buried about 3 sub menus down from the Wifi configuring. Google your router and the words Fragmentation Threshold and RTS Threshold for info on your router. Would be nice if there were some configuration fields on the mobile device, although not sure what fields might be available on the client size or if this would be useful at all. More useful would be an app showing how well the Wifi is doing at the packet/hardware level. An app like this should be a default app supplied by the vendor.

Anyhow
Log into your router as the admin and set the Wifi Fragmentation Threshold to 2004 and the RTS Threshold to 500. This will help with fringe range, especially with two or more wifi devices that can not see each other but just the router, yes this is a problem, each device will try sending at the same time. Ex a wifi device to the far right, router, wifi device to far left.

Also, don't put your hand over the Apple logo on the back of the iPad, this is where the Wifi hardware is. You will not notice a problem sitting next to an access point, aka strong signal, but you sure will at the fringe of the range, where those threshold values you changed now help. That is what those settings are for, you add a little network overhead, for better more consistent long range performance. Try going to where you lose one bar in Wifi, put your hand over the Logo, wait a few seconds, see a major drop in the Wifi bars, speed drop, to rock bottom. Test this via of going where you lose a bar on the Wifi Icon, get the FCC Broadband app test, hold the iPad on its edge or place it on the table, test the speed, now test it with you hand over the Apple Logo in the center of the IPad, or it sitting on knee or lap.

Last edited:

avanthika

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A slow Internet connection could be caused by any number of reasons. It may be connection or traffic problem. A slow Internet connection could be caused by any number of reasons. It may be connection or traffic problem. There are many ways for increasing the speed of the wi-fi usage in ipad. 1. Update the ipad frimware.
2. Close the unwanted applications in background.
3. Use the tcp optimizer and keep in default mode.
4. Install the speed up apps for ipad.
5. Use fast browser.
Still your internet speed is slow than, Contact your ISP and get a latest speed plan from them. Its better way to increase your speed After, completing this steps, you can check our internet speed whether increase or not

Moderation notice:This post has been edited by ipadforums staff in accordance with theForum RulesNo External Links

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As this is a very old thread, the OP has most likely already found his answer.

With that we will now close this thread......

Thank you for your understanding..........

.......THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts