What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 reset leaves touchscreen unresponsive. Home/Start/Volume buttons all working

guzzisti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.
I received a hand-me-down iPad2 after the owner reset the device. NO impact damage and NO moisture damage guaranteed. The hardware buttons all work, but the screen is unresponsive to touch commands. Tried re-sets but no result. Previous owner had absolutely no faults with the device.

Apple agent declared the screen faulty. Replaced screen but same symptoms persist.

Recently followed tutorial to reset to current IOS with device in DFU mode. All steps followed successfully until actual re-set begins. Then get error message "The ipad could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."
Following more forum advice (Thanks to all concerned)I have modified the Hosts file gs.apple.com with a "# " Same error message appears. No anti virus software or firewalls running.

Any suggestions or questions that could lead to a solution would be appreciated.

Going back to basics, am I right is thinking this is a software issue, or is the screen failure co-incidental of the re-set?

Thanks for your interest.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[snip]...

Recently followed tutorial to reset to current IOS with device in DFU mode. All steps followed successfully until actual re-set begins. Then get error message "The ipad could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."
Following more forum advice (Thanks to all concerned)I have modified the Hosts file gs.apple.com with a "# " Same error message appears. No anti virus software or firewalls running.

...[/snip]

I noticed this error you got and I'm wondering - what iOS version are you trying to put on the iPad? Because that's an error you'll usually see if you try to put anything other than iOS 7.0.4 onto the iPad. In addition, not only do you have to put on iOS 7.0.4, you have to put on the version that matches your iPad 2 model and build (its specs). See this thread to get iOS 7.0.4 (and make sure it's the correct one for your specific iPad 2): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Hopefully, that's the fix. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
G

guzzisti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Andrew and Marilyn. Re-setting with iOS7.0.4 appeared to work from the iTunes side. The messages and progress bars were encouraging but the iPad still won't respond to touchscreen. Hardware buttons all work, as usual.

My last attempt will be re-setting with the Ipad2 wifi only Hardware Revision A.

If that doesn't work, I'll go to Step 6 of your suggestion, Andrew. "Contact Apple." although our local crew haven't been too helpful yet.

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts