What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad2 + Android Phone = Extra HardDrive Storage for Ipad2!!

kul00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and just want to share the good news that I "somehow" succeeded to sync my Galaxy S with Ipad2 and use phone's storage as an expansion for Ipad! Thus, this may justify to go just purchase 16 gig of Ipad, and save a couple hundreds $$$$, hopefully.

Last few days, I struggled so much to see if I really really need to buy HyperDrive as an expansion to 2-day old- 16 gig Ipad2 which was not ENOUGH to hold 20 HD movies for my coming trips and I've looked into EVERY options out there. I learned quickly this (having extra storage option) isn't really something Apple wants you to do. (why then sell 3 models?)

All viable options COST me either buying $200 HyperDrive for 500G (self-powered harddrive), plus $30 camera connection kit, or buying $200 GoFlex Satellite Seagate Harddrive to wifi streaming or use DropBox to stream or download files from FTP/NAS which I don't have any..
I do not want to go through options that requires my Ipad to be connected to internet for streaming, knowing not-at-home connection speed will jeopardize video quality and worst, what if I'm in no tethering/wifi zone?
I simply want to quickly transfer (no streaming) video files from external devices just like our PCs are connected to USB drives.

I found a way around that may expand Ipad storage proportionally to Android phone's external storage. Mine has 8 gig microSD. (After this success, I'm buying 32 gig!)

Please again be aware that it worked for my Galaxy 4G S + Ipad 2 only. Mine was not rooted, but has 2.2 Froyo with Mobile AP feature.

Following steps will describe movies stored from my phone getting transferred to Ipad 2. Since I'm only 2-days experienced to iOS/Ipad/Apples, I'm sure there could be a better apps to accomplish this, but again I haven't seen anyone trying to expand their Ipad's storage this way yet with a success.

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy 4G S-Tmobile with 2.2 OS
Ipad2-16Gig Wifi Only-Ver. 4.3.4

1. Turn on Mobile AP from the phone and connect Ipad to it. If phone doesn't support Hotspots, we need to root the phone and install wifi tethering program. Basic goal is to establish direct wifi connection by making the phone as "access point", a.k.a. wifi tethering.

2. Download/Install/Run SDCardWifiAccess from Android Market and remember phone's http address.

3. Download/Install/Run Oplayer HD Lite from Ipad.

4. On Ipad's Oplayer, Click Open URL and type http address.

5. You will see directory trees, and navigate it to where movies are located.

6. Click either Save or Play for streaming. Saving will take time at speed of wifi connection between your devices. (it's fast as you would transfer files within wifi networks)

That's IT, I'm happy to know I'm carrying external portable storage for my Ipad 2 that can be accessed and downloaded anytime!

Best of all, I didn't have to root my Galaxy S/jailbreaking Ipad/No carrying extra storage devices except my Phone and all this cost $0!

Any better recommendations will be appreciated!

Last edited:
H

hazi1610

kul00 said:
I'm new to this forum, and just want to share the good news that I "somehow" succeeded to sync my Galaxy S with Ipad2 and use phone's storage as an expansion for Ipad! Thus, this may justify to go just purchase 16 gig of Ipad, and save a couple hundreds $$$$, hopefully.

Last few days, I struggled so much to see if I really really need to buy HyperDrive as an expansion to 2-day old- 16 gig Ipad2 which was not ENOUGH to hold 20 HD movies for my coming trips and I've looked into EVERY options out there. I learned quickly this (having extra storage option) isn't really something Apple wants you to do. (why then sell 3 models?)

All viable options COST me either buying $200 HyperDrive for 500G (self-powered harddrive), plus $30 camera connection kit, or buying $200 GoFlex Satellite Seagate Harddrive to wifi streaming or use DropBox to stream or download files from FTP/NAS which I don't have any..
I do not want to go through options that requires my Ipad to be connected to internet, knowing not-at-home connection speed will jeopardize video quality and worst, what if I'm in no tethering/wifi zone?
I simply want to quickly transfer (no streaming) video files from external devices just like our PCs are connected to USB drives.

I found a way around this and expand your Ipad storage proportionally to your Android phone's external storage. Mine has 8 gig microSD. (After this success, I'm buying 32 gig!)

Please again be aware that it worked for my Galaxy 4G S + Ipad 2 only. Mine was not rooted, but has 2.2 Froyo with Mobile AP feature.

Following steps will describe movies stored from my phone getting transferred to Ipad 2. Since I'm only 2-days experienced to IOS/Ipad/Apples, I'm sure there could be a better apps to accomplish this, but again I haven't seen anyone trying to expand their Ipad's storage this way yet with a success.

Devices:
Galaxy 4G S-Tmobile with 2.2 OS

1. Turn on Mobile AP from the phone and connect Ipad to it. If phone doesn't support Hotspots, we need to root the phone and get wifi tethering.

2. Download/Install/Run SDCardWifiAccess and remember phone's http address.

3. Download/Install/Oplayer HD Lite from Ipad.

6. Click either Save or Play for streaming. Saving will take time at speed of wifi connection between your devices. (Pretty fast though)

That's IT, I'm happy to know I'm carrying external portable storage for my Ipad 2 that can be accessed and downloaded anytime!

Best of all, I didn't have to root my Galaxy S/jailbreaking Ipad/ $$0 Spent!

Interesting. I have the SGS so might have a go at that later, need to be more awake so I can concentrate. Mine is a 3G so not sure if that will make a difference but am pretty sure it has mobile AP on it.

Will let you know how I get on when I have succeeded or failed. Lol

From Alison, Sent from my iPad using iPF

dobbey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does mobile AP mean? I have a htc desire hd, so will try that out

Sent from my iPad 2 32GB White using iPF

OP
K

kul00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobile(Wifi) Access Point = Wifi Tethering through your phone, availiable since Froyo update.

At my end, I've went Phone-->Settings-->Wireless and Network-->Mobile AP-->Check

Reaction score
Works fine as frog hair in non root froyo Droid Incredible and non jail broken Ipad 1
Thank you very much

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Fluidz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I do not want to go through options that requires my Ipad to be connected to internet for streaming, knowing not-at-home connection speed will jeopardize video quality and worst, what if I'm in no tethering/wifi zone?

I found a way around that may expand Ipad storage proportionally to Android phone's external storage. Mine has 8 gig microSD. (After this success, I'm buying 32 gig!)

Following steps will describe movies stored from my phone getting transferred to Ipad 2. Since I'm only 2-days experienced to iOS/Ipad/Apples, I'm sure there could be a better apps to accomplish this, but again I haven't seen anyone trying to expand their Ipad's storage this way yet with a success.

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy 4G S-Tmobile with 2.2 OS

1. Turn on Mobile AP from the phone and connect Ipad to it. If phone doesn't support Hotspots, we need to root the phone and install wifi tethering program. Basic goal is to establish direct wifi connection by making the phone as "access point", a.k.a. wifi tethering.

2. Download/Install/Run SDCardWifiAccess from Android Market and remember phone's http address.

3. Download/Install/Run Oplayer HD Lite from Ipad.

6. Click either Save or Play for streaming. Saving will take time at speed of wifi connection between your devices. (it's fast as you would transfer files within wifi networks)

Best of all, I didn't have to root my Galaxy S/jailbreaking Ipad/No carrying extra storage devices except my Phone and all this cost $0!

Why thankyou for sharing this! :)

OP
K

kul00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My pleasure!

As I'm playing this trick, I already see some issues myself that need improvements. (Again, I'm very new to Apple environment, I just won iPad 2 from $1 Winners Cube gaming at Block, Orange CA:) , last week. lol)

1. Wifi connection gets lost once Ipad goes to sleep mode after I close it with SmartCover and tranfer from phone to Ipad stops. Any "Stay Awake" apps to keep this connection alive, but turning display off thus not wasting battery?

2. There gotta be better apps to tranfer various files types than Oplayer. I demonstrated I can move video files and able to save them with Oplayer, but less luck with music/photo files. Is there file browser/explorer app that sees network drives and copy/paste them? I don't have any apps to try this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My pleasure!

As I'm playing this trick, I already see some issues myself that need improvements. (Again, I'm very new to Apple environment, I just won iPad 2 from $1 Winners Cube gaming at Block, Orange CA:) , last week. lol)

1. Wifi connection gets lost once Ipad goes to sleep mode after I close it with SmartCover and tranfer from phone to Ipad stops. Any "Stay Awake" apps to keep this connection alive, but turning display off thus not wasting battery?

2. There gotta be better apps to tranfer various files types than Oplayer. I demonstrated I can move video files and able to save them with Oplayer, but less luck with music/photo files. Is there file browser/explorer app that sees network drives and copy/paste them? I don't have any apps to try this.

Try DropBox for photos and other media, not sure what to use for music, you've found a video transfer already.
I use DropBox on my Incredible phone, Galaxy Tab 10.1, ipad1 and desktop for transferring files around. It's free on Android and Apple and my XP desktop also.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy Tab

Urgranny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an alternative to SDCARD WIFI ACCESS?
This program is not compatible with my HTC wildfire on 2.2.1.

Also, how do i find out my phones HTTP address?

Allanmcm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't get this to work on my iPad 2 connecting to htc desire hd. When I click open URL my phones memory doesn't appear

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read a lot of the comments on the Sdcardwifiaccess app, there's no security for it at the moment, no user name or password required, just figured I'd give the heads up case in some one here doesn't read the comments on it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts