What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tethering question

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a rooted DroidX phone with the free wireless tether app installed & working.

I can tether my Windows 7 Pro laptop to it whenever I want & it works super.

I have a 64 gig Verizon 3G/WiFi Ipad 2 coming from Apple (if they ever get off their a** & actually ship the damn thing). Will I be able to tether the ipad to the phone the same way I do with the laptop??

I know my Daughter's ipod touch tethers just fine & I am thinking the ipad should work the same way??

I am a computer tech/network administrator but have very little experience with Macs.

~John

LolaAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you will be able to. Why get the 3G iPad if you can just tether from your phone?

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you will be able to. Why get the 3G iPad if you can just tether from your phone?

Just in case I ever need it, it didn't really up the price all that much.

~John

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the Droid X rooted and free wifi tethering up until a few days ago just fine. It works great and I like not having to turn off wifi in the settings all the time. I only stopped because my DX took a dump the other day so I now have an iPhone 4 coming. :)

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my DX took a dump the other day so I now have an iPhone 4 coming. :)

WOW, I can't even imagine going from the big screen of the DX to the smaller Iphone screen at this point (& my business pays for my phones, I could have an iphone for free if I wanted it).

~John

Last edited:

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

WOW, I can't even imagine going from the big screen of the DX to the smaller Iphone screen at this point (& my business pays for my phones, I could have an iphone for free if I wanted it).

~John

No kidding, there is no way I would replace my HTC Evo with a Iphone.

Also can a Iphone even be jailbroken to turn on the Hotspot function for free?

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But what if somehow something goes wrong with your phone? If you don't have wifi nearby, you can always turn on your 3G iPad without contract.

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rudinater said:
No kidding, there is no way I would replace my HTC Evo with a Iphone.

Also can a Iphone even be jailbroken to turn on the Hotspot function for free?

Well the screen size was ok, but to get the battery life I needed out of the phone the extended battery turned it into an unworldly beast of a device in my pocket. That and I am turned off from Android. For the record I am going the legit route with tethering on the phone, though I know you can jailbreak and get free wifi.

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I expect my IPAD 2(wifi only) this week. I am however not a big fan of cell phones(use a prepaid Verizon). If I want to use tethering in a remote location, can I use any brand of cell phone with or without a data plan. Can I use previous Iphone3. Basically, what do I need to do. Thanks

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score

~John

This is exactly what I did....went from the Droid X to the Viphone 4. Yes, the screen size difference is drastic, and makes me miss that 4.3 in DX screen, but overall, IPhone 4 is just better than all Android phones that I've ever used or seen.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to me it's not. We have both iphones & droids where I work in our corporate accounts.

I am the admin for all of them & can have any phone I want for free. There is absolutely NO WAY I would swap my rooted highly customized DroidX for any iphone although I am looking forward to the ipad 2.

I'm not trying to slam the iphone by the way, I like the iphone a lot but I definitely like my X better.

~John

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
Not to me it's not. We have both iphones & droids where I work in our corporate accounts.

I am the admin for all of them & can have any phone I want for free. There is absolutely NO WAY I would swap my rooted highly customized DroidX for any iphone although I am looking forward to the ipad 2.

I'm not trying to slam the iphone by the way, I like the iphone a lot but I definitely like my X better.

~John

As they say; some like the mother, some like the daughter.

Most reactions

Latest posts