What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 airprint does not work with hp photosmart plus

Triples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little help.... When I found out the iPad could print wirelessly, I set my home network to take advantage of this feature. I have an airport extreme router, and of course, the ipad2. The new printer, a hp photosmart plus B210 worked perfectly at first from the iPad as it is designed to work with AirPrint. I also set it up to print wirelessly from any computer within my wifi network. Any computer, laptop or wired works fine with the new hp printer.
My only problem is that after only one day on the ipad2, when trying to print a document or picture, the printer shows up in the print menu but now after a while the message comes up, "printer offline". It sees the printer but will not print to it.
Of course, the printer is on, and everything appears normal except it does not print. Note that the AirPrint did work for one day and have not changed anything since. I tried rebooting the iPad, unplugged the printer to reset, and checked any settings I could see. The only thing I could not access was the firewall settings of the airport extreme. I don't know if that is relevant.
Maybe someone knows of a thread or suggestions. I am thinking I am not the only one with this issue.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little help.... When I found out the iPad could print wirelessly, I set my home network to take advantage of this feature. I have an airport extreme router, and of course, the ipad2. The new printer, a hp photosmart plus B210 worked perfectly at first from the iPad as it is designed to work with AirPrint. I also set it up to print wirelessly from any computer within my wifi network. Any computer, laptop or wired works fine with the new hp printer.
My only problem is that after only one day on the ipad2, when trying to print a document or picture, the printer shows up in the print menu but now after a while the message comes up, "printer offline". It sees the printer but will not print to it.
Of course, the printer is on, and everything appears normal except it does not print. Note that the AirPrint did work for one day and have not changed anything since. I tried rebooting the iPad, unplugged the printer to reset, and checked any settings I could see. The only thing I could not access was the firewall settings of the airport extreme. I don't know if that is relevant.
Maybe someone knows of a thread or suggestions. I am thinking I am not the only one with this issue.

OK - to recap - you've been able to print from the iPad with this printer previously. You've reset (i.e. power completely off then power on - not just Sleep mode) the iPad and the printer.

One problem we've had reported in the past is that the router changes the IP address of the printer for some reason and the iPad becomes 'confused'. Is it possible to set a static IP address for your printer?

Tim

OP
T

Triples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
continuation with airprint...

Tim;

thank you for reply. I will have to check the printer about the static address- not sure if that might be the problem tho....
note; the ipad DOES 'see' the printer and it shows up in the airprint listing as a viable printer. Also, all other computers print with no problem to the printer, so can the address really be a problem?

I have also noted that the address has not changed in the printer.

I am stumped. i don't know if it is a IPAD, printer or router issue.

hmmmm....

John

DrBoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem

Hi guys,
I have the same problem here; no changes to the printer, none to the iPad and iPhone, working with Photosmart Plus ePrint that worked flawlessly last time I tried, and stopped working completely. Printer is seen by both iPad and iPhone, but jobs sent are ignored. ePrint app downloaded, same result. Printer works wirelessly when used from computer on same network...

Roger

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have the same problem here; no changes to the printer, none to the iPad and iPhone, working with Photosmart Plus ePrint that worked flawlessly last time I tried, and stopped working completely. Printer is seen by both iPad and iPhone, but jobs sent are ignored. ePrint app downloaded, same result. Printer works wirelessly when used from computer on same network...

Roger

I'm sure you've tried this, but just in case you haven't, try power cycling the printer and the iPad. I have a similar problem with my printer (different make and model) and power cycling seems to fix the problem.

Tim

DrBoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried, but no...

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying. Rebooting does indeed help. Once. When I try to print a second document, it won't find it anymore. Reboot all over again, maybe twice reboot, then it will work again. Once.

The frustration that I have with it is that while I am perfectly able to figure this stuff out (well; let's say I understand that rebooting might solve it and I don't panic), I have installed the printer at my parent's place, who are in their mid 70s, and the iPad is their first and only experience with Internet and computers. It must be plug and play, otherwise it will not work. So I am really hoping that there is a structural fix for this annoyance!

Roger

SolublePeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.solubleapps.com
The other thing to watch is if you have two wireless access points in play, I found that connecting to one router wirelessly i could see my Apple TV and printer, but connecting to the other I couldn't.

Other devices all could find each other across networks (which were all in the same subnet range, with a single DHCP server) but Bonjour didn't seem to work between them. Oddly the (wired) Apple TV signal had to pass through the router I had problems connecting with to reach the other one.

In the end I rearranged my wifi network to use a single access point.

Most reactions

Latest posts