What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad not detecting HP Photosmart 6510

gotenks05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got a new printer for Christmas, as my old print could only scan and not print or copy anymore. However, I am having a bit of troubles printing from my iPad 2, which has iOS 5.0.1. My printer is an HP Photosmart 6510, which Apple lists as supported by Airprint, just like the employee at Best Buy said and online sources other than Apple stated. The problem is that my iPad does not detect the printer. I can print wirelessly from my MacbookPro5,3, which runs Mac OS 10.6.8 (although I could not do so until I figured out the right protocol). The only way I can print from the iPad is by using E-mail (aka. ePrint). I have restarted the printer multiple times (one of which was to be able to scan wirelessly even though Preview and image capture did not detect it and my printer did not detect my Macbook Pro). The printer does have Bonjour enabled and the iPad is connected to the same network as the printer. My router is a Netgear WGT624v2 and assigns addresses via DHCP and has two address reservations specified (one for a server and the other for the printer). From my understanding of a few threads here, people say their Airprint printers do not work in iOS 5, but I cannot confirm this, since my only iOS 4 device no longer works. I have turned off bluetooth temporarily, in order to check if that fixed anything, but my printer was still not detected.

cgross003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gotenks05 said:
I recently got a new printer for Christmas, as my old print could only scan and not print or copy anymore. However, I am having a bit of troubles printing from my iPad 2, which has iOS 5.0.1. My printer is an HP Photosmart 6510, which Apple lists as supported by Airprint, just like the employee at Best Buy said and online sources other than Apple stated. The problem is that my iPad does not detect the printer. I can print wirelessly from my MacbookPro5,3, which runs Mac OS 10.6.8 (although I could not do so until I figured out the right protocol). The only way I can print from the iPad is by using E-mail (aka. ePrint). I have restarted the printer multiple times (one of which was to be able to scan wirelessly even though Preview and image capture did not detect it and my printer did not detect my Macbook Pro). The printer does have Bonjour enabled and the iPad is connected to the same network as the printer. My router is a Netgear WGT624v2 and assigns addresses via DHCP and has two address reservations specified (one for a server and the other for the printer). From my understanding of a few threads here, people say their Airprint printers do not work in iOS 5, but I cannot confirm this, since my only iOS 4 device no longer works. I have turned off bluetooth temporarily, in order to check if that fixed anything, but my printer was still not detected.

I am having the same issue with the exact printer. Any updates on your end?

OP
G

gotenks05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with the exact printer. Any updates on your end?

Not really, I did check out how to find firmware updates and none were located after the one my printer had me go through, so it has the latest updates and such. I have not tried reinstalling the drivers, but I would need to take different steps, in order to keep my ePrint address, so I can print from my Android phone, if needed.

OP
G

gotenks05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a suggestion to create an Ad-hoc connection between my iPad and printer, which narrowed my problem down to the router.

OP
G

gotenks05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a new router and everything works now. Just note that Netgear WGT624v2 does not support any bonjour services.

Most reactions

Latest posts