What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad won't upgrade from ISO 4.3.3 to 5.01 :(

kirbinster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read to pull out what little hair I have left. I can't get it to upgrade from version 4.3.3 to version 5.01. I have installed the newest version of iTunes and have tried it on both my Win7 x64 desktop and WinXP notebook with no luck. I keep getting the error code 3194 that says: "The ipad count not be restored an unknown error occurred 3194"

This ipad had been running a jail broken version of 4.3.3 prior to my starting the process. I downloaded a clean 4.3.3 and restored that wiping out everything on the unit and it run fine on that. Even things like cable visions optimumapp work fine and they would not run when jail broken, yet I still cannot get iTunes to upgrade this. What next????

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try this, if the link Gunny008 doesn't help:

You didn't describe how you are trying to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, but may I suggest this (since you are dealing with an iPad that has been jailbroken).

First, download the iOS version for your iPad from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Then, put your iPad into DFU mode, using the directions from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html. Ensure your iTunes is closed before you put the iPad into DFU mode (but have the iPad plugged into your PC).

Then, once your iPad goes into DFU mode, your iTunes should open and tell you it has detected an iPad needing restore. Accept the first pop-up that appears. Then, hold the shift key and click the "restore" button in iTunes. You'll get a Windows Explorer window that'll allow you to browse for the iOS 5.0.1 firmware you just downloaded. Click on it and then follow the prompts from iTunes.

That should do it. Oh, and a couple of things. It may take a while for iTunes to open after you get into DFU mode. Just have patience and wait. It takes a while for Windows to recognize/load the driveers. It won't hurt if you manually open iTunes yourself, though. And, have your iPad plugged directly into the USB port on your PC, don't have it hooked to a hub.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
K

kirbinster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Gunny, you nailed it - it was the entry in the host file. I did an edit on that and it is in the process of finishing the upgrade right now. IF only I posted this earlier I could have saved myself 3 hours of aggrevation. Thanks for the tip.

greasemuntney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Must have been using TinyUmbrella and it edited your host file. If using that you can uncheck in Advanced in TinyUmbrella and it will change your host file for you so you can link to Apple and not Cydia. Glad you got it fixed though.

Most reactions

Latest posts