What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring to 4.3.3

iVortox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I own an ipad1 with iOs 4.3.1 on it in a tethered jailbroken state. Now, I wanted to upgrade to 4.3.1 so I could jailbreak it untethered. So I connected it to my laptop, opened up iTunes and tried to Shift+Click restore it after putting it in DFU mode with the original 4.3.3 ipsw. Whilst in the process I encountered 3 different error codes:

First I had the 3194 error which I fixed by downloading TinyUmbrella and unchecking 'set hosts to cydia on exit'. The error did not occur again, but I did get another one. This time it had the code 1604. This I fixed by download iReb to do the Limera1n bootrom exploit. After this however I get to the stage which I'm currently still stuck in. The error code now is 2005, on google it says I can help it by changing the usb port. I tried every single port and none of them worked. Now I'm clueless. What should I do?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the iPhone 4, finally moved from my Windows 7 PC to my MAC Book Pro, got the same thing plugged directly into the USB port, couldn't downgrade or upgrade to iOS 5, moved it to a port on a USB hub attached to the same USB port on the MBP and I was able to upgrade to iOS 5. Been afraid to try to downgrade to iOS 4.3.3. Oh well iOS 5 is OK till the new JB settles down. Not even, going to take a chance with my JB'd iPad 1, it will stay on iOS 4.3.3 till everything settles down.

OP
I

iVortox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah sure, but what do I do when I don't have a USB hub?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is confirm that you have SHSH Blobs for 4.3.3. Do you? If so, you should be able to follow the steps in this tutorial (follow it exactly, each step is important), to restore 4.3.3.

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

Note - If you don't have 4.3.3. blobs then there is no way you can ever do this now. It is impossible to bypass the blob security.

And I would definitely NOT hang all your hopes on a USB hub solving your problems. Whilst it's good to hear pocobrear got a result, conventional jailbreaking wisdom is NEVER use a USB hub. You want to be connected closer to your PC's motherboard for stability, not further away. The only reason I see this working for someone is if the external hub is powered and actually provides a better connection for an old laptop or desktop... Normally, this would not be the case.

Last edited:
OP
I

iVortox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I don't have 4.3.3 blobs. But I don't see why I would need these blobs to restore the device to a custom firware. I normally don't even use TinyUmbrella, I just restore the device to a custom firmware mostly created by sn0wbreeze. After all I'm upgrading, not downgrading.
I actually did try a powered USB hub and it didn't change anything, still getting the same error. On youtube there's a video that shows how you can resolve the 2005 error code by using a legit apple cable and not a cheap knockoff version. I only use an apple cable so to me it wasn't really useful.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I don't have 4.3.3 blobs. But I don't see why I would need these blobs to restore the device to a custom firware. I normally don't even use TinyUmbrella, I just restore the device to a custom firmware mostly created by sn0wbreeze. After all I'm upgrading, not downgrading.
I actually did try a powered USB hub and it didn't change anything, still getting the same error. On youtube there's a video that shows how you can resolve the 2005 error code by using a legit apple cable and not a cheap knockoff version. I only use an apple cable so to me it wasn't really useful.

Well, just because you don't see why, doesn't mean it will work :)

You cannot under any circumstances restore a stock OR custom firmware if you do not have saved SHSH Blobs for the version of IOS you are trying to install on your device. There is no way round it. Blobs cannot be forged, copied, or otherwise spoofed, and the security checks cannot be bypassed. If they could, we would all have been doing it for a very long time.

You can either take our word for it (I've only been hacking Apple devices for 4 years, so what do I know?), or waste all the time you want on trying yourself , but I'm telling you it simply cannot be done as things stand today. Sorry. :(

What I don't get is if you were jailbroken for so long, and were using Cydia, why were your blobs not being saved automatically by it? Did you even run the tutorial? It is designed to retrieve your blobs from Cydia. If as you say, you have restored in the past without using TU, then Cydia MUST be providing your blobs (and therefore have them saved for you).

Last edited:
OP
I

iVortox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not doubting your advice, just asking. Now I do know there's no other way to do it. Eventhough I thought I did it in a different way before. Anyway, impatient as I am I went and clicked on restore and let iTunes do the rest. Now I'm running iOS 5 and I must say I quite like it, now to play the waiting game for an untethered jb to come out. How bad is it anyway to leave your idevice on daily and nightly?
So I opened up Cydia and there are indeed a couple of shsh blobs which were saved. Do these stay saved forever? Or is there a way you can actually loose them, because that would've been one of the reasons of my unbelieve, thinking these blobs had disappeared because the device was in a rather 'dead' state of being..
Thanks for the help!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not doubting your advice, just asking. Now I do know there's no other way to do it. Eventhough I thought I did it in a different way before. Anyway, impatient as I am I went and clicked on restore and let iTunes do the rest. Now I'm running iOS 5 and I must say I quite like it, now to play the waiting game for an untethered jb to come out. How bad is it anyway to leave your idevice on daily and nightly?
So I opened up Cydia and there are indeed a couple of shsh blobs which were saved. Do these stay saved forever? Or is there a way you can actually loose them, because that would've been one of the reasons of my unbelieve, thinking these blobs had disappeared because the device was in a rather 'dead' state of being..
Thanks for the help!

Never any harm in asking, so I hope you didn't take offence :) Glad you are enjoying IOS5.

There is no harm leaving your iPad on all the time. Apple say you should let it discharge around once a month to keep the battery healthy. Aside from that you can charge as little or often as you like and leave it on all the time if that suits you.

As regards your blobs, they are relatively safe in Cydia, but Saurik does not provide any guarantees. If you do this tutorial, it will retrieve them and save them on your PC so you have a backup - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

It only takes 5 minutes and does nothing to your iPad at all... At the end you will know what versions of IOS you are able to install in the future by looking at the list in the General tab. Just make sure you follow the steps exactly.

Cheers.

navy_sephiroth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so i feel really bad. I just bought a brand new ipad 2 with 5.0 ios. ive tried to downgrade to 4.3.3. Is this possible at all. I guess i dont have the shsh blobs since its a brand new device with 5.0 ios. Can i use another devices 4.3.3 shsh blobs to sign this new ipad 2 for downgrade. Whats my best move. Please i need help.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
navy_sephiroth said:
Ok so i feel really bad. I just bought a brand new ipad 2 with 5.0 ios. ive tried to downgrade to 4.3.3. Is this possible at all. I guess i dont have the shsh blobs since its a brand new device with 5.0 ios. Can i use another devices 4.3.3 shsh blobs to sign this new ipad 2 for downgrade. Whats my best move. Please i need help.

No, it's impossible, sorry. You are stuck on 5.0. No other option.

navy_sephiroth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it's impossible, sorry. You are stuck on 5.0. No other option.

Ok so im selling my ipad 2. i am about to buy one without icloud which i presume has probably an ios 4.3.5. Is it possible to downgrade this one to a 4.3.3 without the shsh blobs as this is also a brand new one as well..

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
navy_sephiroth said:
Ok so im selling my ipad 2. i am about to buy one without icloud which i presume has probably an ios 4.3.5. Is it possible to downgrade this one to a 4.3.3 without the shsh blobs as this is also a brand new one as well..

No. Impossible.

Most reactions

Latest posts