What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wont turn on

andrifr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Jailbroken iPad (Absinthe... in case that matters :s )
Everything was working fine until earlier today when I installed a tweak or an app (really can't remember what it was) via Cydia.
When it was almost done the iPad stopped responding.

I waited a while but eventually I tried to restart the iPad. The Apple logo was showing for a long time and then it seemed to restart again after a few minutes... and again and again.

This made me google how to fix this problem. I found a youtube video that suggested I downloaded redsn0w, downloaded the IPSW and pressed "Just boot" in redsn0w. Which led to me to have to enter DFU mode. Even though I followed the instructions I got a message that said something about I wasn't doing it right (in redsn0w) even though I was, but iTunes seemed to detect I was now in DFU mode.

But somewhere in this process the Apple logo disappeared and the iPad was turned off (I couldn't turn it off before that, it always turned on again in a few seconds). Now i can't turn it on to see the logo.

So I tried to open the IPSW in itunes and restore the thing there. That thing finished with a message that said there was an error and I can't restore the iPad.

...so here I am with an iPad that wont start... does anybody know what to do next, besides taking it out with the trash?

OP
A

andrifr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I remember I was installing Resupported 4.0 when the thing stopped responding.

OP
A

andrifr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried restoring again with a different USB port, since someone suggested that could be a problem, I seemed to get a further a long before receiving the error (error 1601). The screen turned on (although it was still black, I could see it was on), but nothing more happened. I tried holding the power button and the home button. When I held both of them at the same time I wound up getting to see my precious Apple logo again, and now it seems to be doing what it was doing before I tried setting it to DFU mode.
... but still I can't use it.

OP
A

andrifr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After googling resupported 4 I see that tweak is not made for 5.1.1... could that have caused this, and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

OP
A

andrifr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though I am not getting a lot of responses I am going to tell you my solution to the problem... in case somebody else gets into the same problem.
I found the answer on another thread.

When the iPad is booting you can press and hold the volume up button to enter safe mode. That did it for me. Then I uninstalled the bad tweak I suspect to have caused this. And I didn't even have to restore the thing so I get to keep my apps and stuff.

Remember to just hold the volume up button for quite some time, I thought this wasn't going to work (can't remember how long I held it but it was longer than I would have though I needed to hold it) but eventually my springboard was showing up again...

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your solution. Unfortunately, our jail breaking experts are not around at this time, otherwise you would have received an answer more quickly.

If you go to the website view of iPF and select Active Posts, scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will see a list of online members.

For complicated jail breaking questions, your best chance is to ask when either Mickey330 or f4780y are online. There are other knowledgable members too, so they are not your only hope.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even though I am not getting a lot of responses I am going to tell you my solution to the problem... in case somebody else gets into the same problem.
I found the answer on another thread.

When the iPad is booting you can press and hold the volume up button to enter safe mode. That did it for me. Then I uninstalled the bad tweak I suspect to have caused this. And I didn't even have to restore the thing so I get to keep my apps and stuff.

Remember to just hold the volume up button for quite some time, I thought this wasn't going to work (can't remember how long I held it but it was longer than I would have though I needed to hold it) but eventually my springboard was showing up again...

Whew! I am glad you were able to solve your problem, andrifr. And, glad to hear that this forum helped you - even though you didnt get an answer before you found the solution. Always a good feeling to get the iPad back to normal, yeah?

You discovered the solution we would have recommended, which was to put your iPad into Safe Mode and the uninstall the tweak(s) you just loaded.

Again, hurray you got it fixed. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts