What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wifi with gps possible?

OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same pricing as the new iPad's were going for... might as well grab an ipad2.

I'll be at an Apple store on March 11th.... getting a 3g model this time.

namlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sale person showed there is gps function in wifi only iPad2, I asked why not listed in the spec? The answer is not all things are list. A stupid answer.
Now I ended up with an iPad2 with no gps device, ha ha !
I have a Holux Bluetooth gps device, but the iPad2 would not read it via Bluetooth .

Any app out there to read this gps devic?

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sale person showed there is gps function in wifi only iPad2, I asked why not listed in the spec? The answer is not all things are list. A stupid answer.
Now I ended up with an iPad2 with no gps device, ha ha !
I have a Holux Bluetooth gps device, but the iPad2 would not read it via Bluetooth .

Any app out there to read this gps devic?

That is one of the problems with Apple. In order to use an external bluetooth GPS mouse, it has to be "Apple approved." So much for bluetooth compatibility.

Here is one by DUAL: Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops Now with 28V adapter for airplanes!: Electronics

Last edited:

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sincity said:
That is one of the problems with Apple. In order to use an external bluetooth GPS mouse, it has to be "Apple approved." So much for bluetooth compatibility.

Here is one by DUAL: Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops Now with 28V adapter for airplanes!: Electronics

I can second the Dual (excluding the 28v adaptor as mine came with just the USB/car adaptor). Can take a few minutes to fully pair up and find enough satellites for a fix, but it worked perfectly on my last vacation.

namlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you compare with the bad elf gps that works by just plug in the iPad2 20-pin socket?

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
namlow said:
How do you compare with the bad elf gps that works by just plug in the iPad2 20-pin socket?

I've personally only used the Dual one. Hopefully someone else has used the plug in one and can chime in.
I was reading some reviews about a gps that plugs in to the pin, don't remember which brand, and some of the negative comments were about accidentally knocking it out. Plus it may be a little more awkward having something sticking out of the bottom of your ipad. One advantage to the Dual one is that I can put it on the dash to get a better satellite signal as even the roof of the car can diminish the signal slightly. It's not cheap, but at least you can avoid buying 3G/4G in the future if your sole reason is to have gps.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I don't have the elf...but not having to use the 30-pin port is a big advantage...if you are trying in a charge you can charge the ipad..but beyond that, you get better placement of the gps receiver with the dual than with the elf, IMO. I put my dual on the dash so that it is directly under the sky rather than more inside the cabin where the ipad will be. You do have to keep the dual charged, so I have a usb cable coming from a charger in my car, one just for the dual.

I have since moved on to the new iPad with 4G, though, so my dual is not seeing any use any more. I can still use it will my Android tablet or my laptops as it has bluetooth connectivity. I may just look to sell it, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts