What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad WiFi to Router Speed?

jdag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning. I've searched all over, installed a couple of utilities, etc., but can't seem to find the answer.

Is there a way to check the connection speed between an iPad and the router?

For instance, in Windows I can hover over the wireless icon in the taskbar and see that my speed is 54mbps. Is there a way to determine that statistic on an iPad?

Thanks, John

OP
J

jdag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know of any tools offhand, however the iPad has an N-speed wifi radio in it, so it will currently connect at the fastest speed your router can handle.

Thanks. I assume it is at the N level as other devices on my network are running at over 100mbps. I am just a control freak and wanted to see that stated somewhere within the iPad!

OP
J

jdag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SpeedtestX HD will show you your UL/DL throughput on your iPad.

Yes, I know I am being a nut here...but that's the internet speed. I was more curious about inside of my home network.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same N... A lot faster than almost any real world speeds. You won't find it listed just because it's rated at that speed. Just like your computer shows the rated speed regardless of signal strength.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning. I've searched all over, installed a couple of utilities, etc., but can't seem to find the answer.

Is there a way to check the connection speed between an iPad and the router?

For instance, in Windows I can hover over the wireless icon in the taskbar and see that my speed is 54mbps. Is there a way to determine that statistic on an iPad?

Thanks, John

Why not just go in reverse and look on your router to see what your connection speed is? On both my routers I can pull up a list of wireless clients and see what the actual connection speed is. You should be able to access your router page right from your iPad.

OP
J

jdag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not just go in reverse and look on your router to see what your connection speed is? On both my routers I can pull up a list of wireless clients and see what the actual connection speed is. You should be able to access your router page right from your iPad.

That was actually the 1st thing I tried but I don't see such a stat in my router software.

iPadPil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my router's status pic. The Win app is free.
cats-crop.jpg

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Unless you force the router and device (iPad, comp, whatever) they will always default to connecting at the fastest speed available. You should not need an app to tell you what band you are connecting to (a,b,g,n).

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you force the router and device (iPad, comp, whatever) they will always default to connecting at the fastest speed available. You should not need an app to tell you what band you are connecting to (a,b,g,n).

I don't think the question is the band that is being connected to, but probably what the actual data rate is. My router is capable of 150 Mbps but chances are my iPad is not getting any where near that. The actual data rate will depend on how good my connection to the router is and where in the house I am connecting from.

I haven't found anything in the App Store that shows the live data rate, but there are a couple of jailbreak apps that will show it to you.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what jailbreak apps would these be? i'm very interested!

cheers

The best one I found is WiFiFoFum, which is a port of a PC program and it shows you almost everything you could ask for. When I was running it there was only an iPhone / iPod touch version but it ran fine on my iPad. I haven't tried a 4.2 jailbreak yet so I can't comment on app compatibility with newer firmware versions. I had a second one as well but I am drawing a blank as to what is is called.

rigorkrad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the previous answer about the ipad being able to connect to your router's top speed is incorrect.

the iphone 4 and ipad 1 and ipad 2 are single spatial stream 802.11n devices. that means
their top speed is either 19 mbps or 72 mbps and thats it.

in some situations turning off 802.11n @ 2.4 ghz and using 802.11g might actually result in a faster speed

sources
wi-fi.org certification wfa11082
airport utility

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts