What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 wifi speeds - Wireless n

Makwassie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day all,

New here, so hope i posting on correct space. I would like to know at what speeds the ipad 2 can connect to Wireless n network? I have a netgear dgnd3700v2 router, with 5ghz network st up. But wifi scanner says it connect at only 54mb? Is this software glitch? What other mac tool /ipad tool can i use to verify?

Thank you in advance for asistance,

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Have a look at an app called Speedtest, hope this is what you're after.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 5Ghz is the frequency of the radio frequency use to communicate between wireless devices, not the speed of the download. Your 54mb is a good download speed depending on local conditions. Best case would probably be approximately 90-100mb, you won't see this very often, usually much lower, again everything depends on local conditions.

OP
Makwassie

Makwassie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx for info.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
54Mbits/sec is fast, nothing wrong with it, you can stream video no problem, however depending on signal strength it can drop down below 10mbsec.

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave up on the 5gz frequency all together. It's just not a consistent connection unless your really close to the router or not many walls to penetrate. I get a much faster and more consistency from my dual band when staying clear of the 5gz line.

Greygoose

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good day all,
New here, so hope i posting on correct space. I would like to know at what speeds the ipad 2 can connect to Wireless n network? I have a netgear dgnd3700v2 router, with 5ghz network st up. But wifi scanner says it connect at only 54mb? Is this software glitch? What other mac tool /ipad tool can i use to verify?

Hi Makwassie - welcome to the forum! :)

There seems to be some confusion about the Wi-Fi standards (i.e. IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n) - first concerning the broadcast frequencies, the two main ones used are 2.4 GHz & the 5 GHz bands; 802.11 a & n can use both, whereas b & g are limited to 2.4 GHz; I have an older Linksys b/g router in my house, so the 2.4 GHz band is being used (of course different channels can be selected but not broadcast frequency). Thus, the frequency(s) being used by your router depend on which lettered protocol(s) are supported.

Now concerning your 54 MB quote above - I'm assuming that you mean Mbps (i.e. Megabits per second) - I just ran the Speedtest on my iPad2 and my download speed was 14.4 Mbps; now if I had a 5 GHz router, I'm assuming that the number would be much higher; 802.11 g can transmit up to 54 Mbps, whereas the n protocol can send up to 3x faster; SO, if you are indeed getting 54 Mbps, that is pretty good!

Also keep in mind that download (and upload which is typically slower) speeds will depend on other factors, including your ISP connection and speed, distances between the router and your device, and interference issues, such as walls.

Rakeesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread comes up high in the list of searches for this, so I figured I would post a tidbit here in case anybody else runs into this issue.

All currently existing iPads are limited to roughly 30mbit streaming capacity due to corner cutting in the wifi hardware. This makes it impossible to stream most higher end bluray content without downsampling it. Apparently the iPad uses a single rail so it isn't capable of full n bandwidth.

I ran into this issue while trying to stream Avatar to my iPad 2. At first I thought it might be a signal issue, but it was working fine with all of my android devices.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts