What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wanna be's

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple didnt invent the slate. They are the first affordable mass-marketed slate, and they had to scale down to a mobile OS to make it work affordable, but they did not "create a revolution". They are at best a very important step in the ever-evolving progressions of slate computing devices.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will I do think this iPad will be outdated soon, if it's not already..

I am disappointed that the screen resolution is only 480p..

And Apple used the same os as iPhone.. Apple was kinda asking for it, and that's why ppl say it's just a big iPhone.. If apple didn't want ppl saying this they should have used a new and different os..

Also they should have had 2 USB ports, FireWire, and sd slot..

Anyway, apple is on top right now for tablets but not for much longer...

The bigger they are the harder they fall..

Being just a big iPhone/iPod touch was why I bought it. When I first got my 2gen touch long ago I kept thinking that I wished it was bigger.
And the +10hr battery life as well as true unlimited 3G for $30/mo.
I forgot about flash and really don't need any extra ports especially USB......nobody asks me to read there questionable thumb drives anymore like they did when I had the netbook.

But that's just me. Can't speak for anyone else.
Don't care about who's on top or whatever.
Just my personal use. It repaceded my netbook.
Maybe I am the average consumer I guess.

What surprised me though was that I am reading books on this thing and it's not bad. I like the Kindle reader best.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may say that the iPad is not a computer, but that does not make it any less so. All computers are consumer devices of one sort or the other. What Apple has done is to take a longtime concept and put together all the pieces needed to make a practical device. There were naysayers that said the Macintosh was not a real computer and they were wrong. It was the first consumer computer and the basis of all consumer computers today. The iPhone was not going to compete with the long time cell phone makers, and it is the prototype smart phone. You measure the significance of devices years later because they can go away fast in some cases.

goodgodgurdy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is not the first to do this

U do understand that when you are the first to do something u don't have to go all out right? Apple did this same thing with the iPhone. As a company, u know that when u invite something, competition will try and out do your first attempt, but it doesn't matter when you are so far ahead of the competition. When it takes competition half a year to create something anywhere near what you have created, you will get the bulk of the attention and sales because there is nothing else for consumers to buy. So apple creates devices with the minimum at first and adds on as competition forces them to. The thing about apple is they will never add certain features just to keep up with the come petitions mediocre features. They wait and do it right so that it feels like a flawless experience. Things like.........responsiveness with no lag. To many this may not be worthy of mentioning, but it's the little things that allow people to appreciate apple products. Suuuuure android has flash, it's open, but do u really think that the screen resolution will never change or something?!!!!

I hate to break this news to you.....but....I am answering this post on a 1996 Fujitsu Stylistic Tablet (originally came with windows 95 but now running XP) Yes it is 1 inch thick but that was pretty good for 1996. I bought newer ones as they came out like my Fujitsu Stylistic 3400. Both these tablets do everything a desktop will do and more and both are 1990s models. If anything the Ipad is a copy of these old work horses....just thinner and not capable of everything they will do. Apple is not the first to do this. I just sold an old Archos tablet I bought in 2006 or 2007 so I can save enough money to buy an Ipad. I don't really need it but "you know who" thinks she has to have one. And I don't mean to be "dissing" Apple but let's face it....they took an old concept and put a new coat of paint on it and since they are Apple everyone loves it! I love the Apple products I have.....but I am not blind. Flame away!

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may say that the iPad is not a computer, but that does not make it any less so. All computers are consumer devices of one sort or the other.
I think you will find a few Cray and or IBM mainframes that will disprove that point.

Why even compare ? I like mine and don't want/need anything else ...

Because we can? Honestly you should be happy there is so much competition because it means there will be more options and Apple will be forced to improve. One thing we do know is that companies who own a market do not feel the need to improve their products. IBM, AT&T, Apple and Microsoft have all proved that point in their histories.

OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IFA Germany has begun (equiv. to CES in USA)

Don't know what IFA stands for. CES stands for
Consumer Electronics Show.

I know some are offended discussing iPad wannabes
but I find all the competitive activities fascinating.

Here are 3 links showing Viewsonic, Samsung Galaxy
Tab and a German rendition at the IFA (beginning
today).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6LEK-pvqU[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmB9KrIGho

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZshWbdrWOo"]YouTube - ViewSonic ViewPad 7 English Hands On at IFA 2010[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IFA Germany continuation

I think I'm blowing the Forums circuits trying to include 3 links.
Here's another try at the German tablet

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmB9KrIGho]YouTube - Hannspree 10-Inch Tegra 2 Tablet English Hands On at IFA 2010[/ame]

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may say that the iPad is not a computer, but that does not make it any less so. All computers are consumer devices of one sort or the other.
I think you will find a few Cray and or IBM mainframes that will disprove that point.

Just used by bigger consumers. Governments, businesses, and other entities are still consumers.

AppMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ipad-tutorials.blogspot.com
If you like something else than the iPad, why are you posting on an iPad forum? If you really liked Chevys, why would you be posting on a Ford forum?
I'm really confused.
I'm not confused! Posting specs on the competition is healthy endeavor in an open forum. This isn't Itunes! I think it's fair to provide comparisons.

I agree. Competition breeds innovation. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts