What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FlatPad, an iPad knockoff, makes its way to US for under $300

wuyanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2my5hjn.jpg

If you are looking for a solid Android tablet and the Augen GenTouch just wasn't for you, I have great news today. FlatComputing, an American company based in Texas, just announced a 10" Android 2.1 tablet ready for the US market, dubbed the FlatPad A10. Actually, FlatComputing had been shipping the first revision of the A10 since July 27th. The FlatPad is currently stocked in the United States, and is available for $285 USD. A bit more expensive than the Augen GenTouch, but when you read the specs you will see why:

• ARM Cortex-A8 Processor 1GHz+
  • 2GB Flash Memory
  • 256MB RAM
  • microSD memory card slot up to 32GB
  • 10.2” TFT ,1024×600 RESISTIVE Touchscreen Display
  • WiFi support
  • Accelerometer
  • WebCam
  • 1-USB 2.0 Host port and 1-USB 2.0 OTG port
  • 2400 mAh battery (5-7 hours battery life)
  • Built in stereo speakers 1Wx2
  • 1080p video playback support
  • Google Maps
  • and of course an Android 2.1 operating System
FlatComputing also promises that the device will be upgradeable to Android 2.2 "sometime" in August. These specs look fantastic, when compared to the Augen GenTouch. The build quality also looks much improved, as the device seems to be more metallic than "plasticky." The only downside is that pesky resistive display. But for $285, this sounds like a bargain. And for better or worse, the device looks exactly like an iPad.

Shanzai is reporting that the FlatPad A10 is a re-branded Zenithink ZT-180 tablet. The main difference between the two: the FlatPad is available for purchase in the US today. Check out a hands-on video with the Zenithink tablet (via Shanzai):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3thgFZli0A&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Here is the FlatPad A10's boxing:

33kbwat.jpg

And a view from the side...

ev88pj.jpg

via Liliputing
For more photos, check here: FlatComputing

At this time, the FlatPad is only available online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rs99z28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! USB ports, expandable memory and flash!? For 300 bucks? If I didn't have my iPad already I'd be looking closely at this.

Regardless I wish it well we need some competition to bring down these prices.

dearbee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it take awhile to boot up? Check it at 4:00. Reminds me of crappy pcs.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another video here
http://www.shanzai.com/index.php/bandit-gadgets/tablets/1519

He's supposed to be comparing it to an iPad but after the intital physical description he wastes a good opportunity when he has both products in his hands.

Two things spring to mind. Loading times seem slower and scrolling appears much less smooth. Still it is a beta release and the software has yet to be fully tuned.

Would have liked to hear more of a comparison between the two screens and their touch response.
I like the idea of an ethernet dongle though. There have been occasions when I could have used one of those with my iPad.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Making it look exactly like an iPad shows that you have no actual confidence in your own products ability to stand on its own. That alone turns me off. Its does have some decent hardware specs though.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you need an Ethernet dongle?
I have already seen a couple of posts from people who travel who claim that their hotel or client's facility has wired Internet service but not WiFi. With the price of routers, there is no excuse not to have WiFi at home, but when you travel, that might be a different story. It is by no means a deal breaker, but it is one more thing the iPad does not have.

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that it is great. If it does well, it may help keep apple on it's game. A market without competition will stagnate. Competition should be welcomed by,us the consumer. After all we are not "team apple" we are our own team.

Most reactions

Latest posts