What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wanna be's

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
un f-in believable , I paid over 600 dollars and this tablet is only 88 bucks..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fgkY8t29E&playnext=1&videos=G_4vBdvS7ec&feature=grec_index]YouTube - $88 5" Android Tablet: Acorp EM501R[/ame]

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very aware of what is available in the Android store since I am on it on the rather regular basis. On the whole, I couldn't care less about the games. The business apps aren't measuring up. They do have good version of Quickoffice and several others but the depth isn't there yet. Once the finally get the platforms stabilized and common across all of their hardware, they will finally start seeing a growth in true, quality apps. By the way, the inability to load apps to an outside memory source and limiting the size of the apps themselves has been a bad hindrance. That should finally be basically corrected with Froyo, but now developers are going to have to get used to designing apps that have the ability to install on the SD cards and take better advantage of the memory.

As far as the hardware above? Do you think this is the only version of the iPad that is going to be produced? That they are simply going to sit back and not touch it again? No advancements? Be realistic. With the exception of a few items, Apple isn't known to sit back and get walked on by other manufacturers and technologies. They will advance as they perceive threats to their technology.

Like I said, I have the Incredible and am very aware of the Android capabilities and growth patterns for quite awhile. But they still have to catch up. Personally, i hope they do start making advancements. I don't like monopolies and competition drives the market to improve and create greater things. But i think it is going to be a ugh stretch to think Apple will sit back and roll over to other manufacturers. They will advance with the rest.

Sure Apple will design new iPads and will introduce them in around 10 months. They will not have USB ports or HDMI out or 16x9 screens EVER though. They will always have to use the dock connector and accessories to gain what other tablets do natively, because it means more money for Apple through accessories.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The marketplace will decide. Let's all get together in two years and see...... I'm taking a "wild" guess and saying iPad forums will still be here........

How many years have we been hearing a "iPod" killer, is just around the corner.... oh... is that it!!!!
Or how many years now have we heard at just about every smartphone launch "is this the iPhone killer?".....

I think Steve Jobs sucks as a person, but he is a genus as a businessman. The products fit a market niche that others seem to be blind to. Most folks don't give a care about how many ports, or screen rez, they just want to enjoy the experience. If I'm buying stock in tablets, it's with Apple.....

Last edited:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The marketplace will decide. Let's all get together in two years and see...... I'm taking a "wild" guess and saying iPad forums will still be here........

How many years have we been hearing a "iPod" killer, is just around the corner.... oh... is that it!!!!
Or how many years now have we heard at just about every smartphone launch "is this the iPhone killer?".....

I think Steve Jobs sucks as a person, but he is a genus as a businessman. The products fit a market niche that others seem to be blind to. Most folks don't give a care about how many ports, or screen rez, they just want to enjoy the experience. If I'm buying stock in tablets, it's with Apple.....

Nothing can kill the iPhone or iPad or iPod, that doesn't mean that nothing is better than those things. Apple has made their products the "cool" thing to have, which allows them to not really worry about competing with features or innovation, but rather to focus on design and making the devices more "cool".

So if I had to bet, I would say that in 2 years the iPad will be the best selling tablet no matter what they do. They could just stagnate and double the ram for the iPad 2 and for the iPad 3 offer a USB port, and they will still sell better than any other tablet who crushes it feature wise.

CaseShop.se

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.caseshop.se
Even Sony has an iPad wannabe with e-ink. They have an impressing library.. can almost match the ipad´s. The only problem is that you can´t see any colors other than black and white... so it´s mostly just for reading.

OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Christmas Toys

As I posted in a different thread, we may be on the cusp of a PC "revolution" fostered by iPad. From various sources, I've read all sorts of rumblings on tablet PCs being readied as Christmas toys. The most promising competitor I've seen thus far is the Notion Adam Ink (entry price $327). Check it out on Youtube. Here's another post

Notion Ink Adam hands-on - SlashGear

It should be fascinating to see Apple ride this exciting wave they've created

Smithy12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do folk keep posting other crap tablets on an iPad forum .....really why ?
This is an iPad only forum and anybody who comes here want info on ipads not some cheap copy. :(

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every computer manufacturer has dreamed of a tiny, self contained computing device. HP made a slate years ago very similar to the iPad's size. I had one and it was a truly revolutionary device. Unfortunately, they were expensive and not supported fully from the software side, and battery life and performance we minimal.

The point is, the iPad is great, but it did not create a "revolution". Technology is creating the revolution. The iPad is just the first affordable version to come along, but it did not invent the concept. There will be many more. Some of these "benfits" of the other devices will not matter to many users. I expect the iPad to continue selling strong. It has great app support and Apple has a good reputation for building solid hardware.

A lot of devices will be out soon. Some people will prefer those over the iPad, some people will prefer the iPad. Each one will have its unique appeal to a certain kind of consumer.

Personally, I would like to see one with a real OS and an optional Wacom pen for drawing, handwriting and sketching in notes. There are some slates already out with both touchscreen and Wacom pens, but they are very expensive.

OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Source for Tablet Wars

For those who are jazzed with the mad scramble
of those trying to "grab the brass ring" (in the wake
of the iPad's burgeoning success), the following link
offers "strictly tablet" news in a pretty palatable manner.

Tablet PC Review - Best Tablet PCs

It's pretty entertaining to see how companies morph tablets
into laptop/tablet, phone/tablet, eReader/tablet and "wait
for it" --- dual tablets! It all seems rather desperate.

In the meantime, my bride continues her fledgling
use of a PC, her iPad -- able to do more & more
(seldom consulting with me). It's delightful!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love how there is so much variety coming out. Different devices for different people and different needs.

Blkjk13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad, so that is why I am on this forum. There is nothing out there that can compete with the iPad at this point. This fall however, there will be several tablets released that make the iPads hardware look extremely outdated. And I disagree with the person above who said hardware is nothing without software. Software is nothing without hardware. These tablets like the eeePad and exoPC will have HDMI out and 16x9 screens. No app is going to bring that to the iPad. They will output HD content over the HDMI, not 480p, no software can bring that to the iPad, unless Apple itself decides to update. Also, they will be able to wirelessly sync and will not need a computer to handle simple tasks.

The iPad is the king on the block right now, and it really is an awesome device, but it will not remain the best for long. Apple has cornered itself into crappy screen resolutions (multiples of the original iphone's horrrific resolution) which are not conducive to watching HD content, has gimped features on the device to push iTunes, has built a walled garden around the device and shielded it from almost all customization, etc. Also, if anyone has seen Gingerbread previews, which is going to be the tablet OS for Android, it looks absolutely SICK and has a screen resolution of TRUE 720P.

U do understand that when you are the first to do something u don't have to go all out right? Apple did this same thing with the iPhone. As a company, u know that when u invite something, competition will try and out do your first attempt, but it doesn't matter when you are so far ahead of the competition. When it takes competition half a year to create something anywhere near what you have created, you will get the bulk of the attention and sales because there is nothing else for consumers to buy. So apple creates devices with the minimum at first and adds on as competition forces them to. The thing about apple is they will never add certain features just to keep up with the come petitions mediocre features. They wait and do it right so that it feels like a flawless experience. Things like.........responsiveness with no lag. To many this may not be worthy of mentioning, but it's the little things that allow people to appreciate apple products. Suuuuure android has flash, it's open, but do u really think that the screen resolution will never change or something?!!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts