What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs Macbook Air

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are currently considering purchasing the Macbook Air, will you hold off and purchase the iPad instead?

Skywaffle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like too bad of a comparison. But it looks like two different targeted audiences. Not to mention a huge price difference.
the Macbook gives you day to day functionality, multitasking, and connectivity. (random dongles for SD, USB, etc don't count). Of course, some people may want more of a casual computer for just checking email, messaging, video, and music.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are currently considering purchasing the Macbook Air, will you hold off and purchase the iPad instead?

Havent been intrested with this mac. But now that you mention it, i might get it instead.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like too bad of a comparison. But it looks like two different targeted audiences. Not to mention a huge price difference.
the Macbook gives you day to day functionality, multitasking, and connectivity. (random dongles for SD, USB, etc don't count). Of course, some people may want more of a casual computer for just checking email, messaging, video, and music.

You nailed this one...targeted towards different audiences.

I have been concidering a Air, and this an interesting dilemma.

Cya

Amy S.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad isn't a computer. It is an iPod.

A better question would be, if you already have the Touch, will you get the iPad?

I will.

imatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm typing this from my MBA and as stated earlier, these items are targeted for different audiences. As a college student (finance major), I find a need to have something to take around to class that allows me to use Excel (I don't see a MS app for iPad/iPod) while also using safari and/or word.

On another note, I am thinking of getting the iPad. I wish it had flash (something the MBA has) however flash also heats up my computer rather quickly. I'd like to be environmentally savvy and just get my WSJ online and be able to read every morning via the iPad but the fact it doesn't do multi-tasking kind of irks me and is making me think twice about the investment.

Does anyone know if we can at least listen to music and read?

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum iMatt! The iPad will have a version of numbers (spreadsheet) and pages (word processor). I'm not sure how limited the versions will be, but my guess says they'll be able to handle most of the same functions of Excel and Word.

Currently on the iPhone or iPod Touch you can play music and still browse the web and run apps. So the iPhone OS already supports limited multi-tasking. Likewise, just like the new AT&T commercials point out you can talk and run an app at the same time, which is handy if your talking to someone and need to look something up (email, map, etc)

I'm typing this from my MBA and as stated earlier, these items are targeted for different audiences. As a college student (finance major), I find a need to have something to take around to class that allows me to use Excel (I don't see a MS app for iPad/iPod) while also using safari and/or word.

On another note, I am thinking of getting the iPad. I wish it had flash (something the MBA has) however flash also heats up my computer rather quickly. I'd like to be environmentally savvy and just get my WSJ online and be able to read every morning via the iPad but the fact it doesn't do multi-tasking kind of irks me and is making me think twice about the investment.

Does anyone know if we can at least listen to music and read?

imatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks iDan for the warm welcome.

I used to have an iPhone until about a year ago. I would have kept it but I wanted something that synced and worked with Office. When I got my MBA, I was trying to decide between iWorks and MS Office. I did a lot of comparisons and the main issue i found was, MS Office just works. Not saying iWorks is a bad system. But there are issues with cross formatting. And when I turn things in to professors, I don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to fix problems from cross formatting.

That's really the main issue I'm concerned with. Otherwise, I like the whole concept of the iPad (and I do wish it had a stylus). I'll hold final judgement for when I get my hands on the product and see how the keyboard works.

Chances are pretty good I'll pick it up. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer. I played with the MBA for about 10 minutes before finally buying it. No regrets either other than the CPU heats up rather quickly (Thanks flash).

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I want is an up spec'd Macbook Air with a 10" swiveling touchscreen (so it can twist and lay down flat). And then I have the perfect iPad. Light, powerful, full OS, and a proper keyboard (because I and everyone I know does a lot of typing - even in Google search boxes)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You would be surprised how well you can type on a touch screen once you get used to it. I type on my HP Touchsmart TX2 all the time and I do nearly as well as I do on a regular keyboard.

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Horses for courses

I've tried the touchscreen keyboard, but I still pretty much always end up flipping my tx2 open to use the real keyboard. Maybe I need to practice more.

Most reactions

Latest posts