What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs. MacBook air

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad has one usb port

Say what?
The Apple connector and a USB connector do the same thing. USB belongs to Microsoft and Apple refuted that fact enough to make their own connection port. Plus, they make money selling their own wires, but does Microsoft?

Actually, IBM owns the rights to powered USB not Microsoft.

I believe the reason Apple went with a proprietary connector was more for control of the device and after market sales as you mentioned. Microsoft isn't really in the cable business, but even if they are they would be paying IBM for the USB license, not themselves.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The MBA is a computer, the iPad is not. You cannot load software on the pad.

I beg to differ but that is your opinion the last time I used my laptop for any thing other than backing up the ipad was more than 3 months ago it is a mobile computer to millions whom do the same. Sorry your statement makes no sense as I load applications and documents music pictures movies games with out any problem what so ever I also do remote support using the ipad and if needed can stream movies from the laptop

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The MBA is a computer, the iPad is not. You cannot load software on the pad.

ummmmmm....and what do you call the thousands of pieces of software you can install onto it? I don't know about you but I load plenty of software onto mine!

software |ˈsôftˌwe(ə)r|
noun
the programs and other operating information used by a computer.

Were you joking?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He is saying traditional software, not apps.

I can't load Starcraft III on my iPad, but it will run fine at medium setting on a MBA (check youtube). I can't install Microsoft Office on my iPad.

There are soooooooooooo many more things a MacBook Air can do that an iPad cannot. I could spend the next 24 hours just typing things that it can do that the iPad can't but it would be a huge waste of time because everyone except you apparently can understand that a MacBook is much more functional than an iPad.

You can only do so many things with the iPad's processor and 256MB of RAM.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He is saying traditional software, not apps.

I can't load Starcraft III on my iPad, but it will run fine at medium setting on a MBA (check youtube). I can't install Microsoft Office on my iPad.

There are soooooooooooo many more things a MacBook Air can do that an iPad cannot. I could spend the next 24 hours just typing things that it can do that the iPad can't but it would be a huge waste of time because everyone except you apparently can understand that a MacBook is much more functional than an iPad.

You can only do so many things with the iPad's processor and 256MB of RAM.

You also can't install windows software onto a Mac either? What's your point? It is a different OS...therefore different applications. (BTW, app is short for application which is another word for software)

In a month or so when the Mac App store opens you will be able to start installing iOS apps on your Mac. Convergence is coming...be patient.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue is more about what users want not if it will not load programs like star craft III or excel or Microsoft application, Photoshop etc etc. Some users want these applications and no you cannot load them on to an iPad. The users whom NEED to have traditional applications so called for business or pleasure then they also need an alternative computer. The funny part is majority of home users all they do is surf the net, read emails,Write letters on any word processor they choose enjoy face book, play with pictures and enjoy music and videos. The millions of users whom buy ipads can do all of the above that is one major reason why it is so popular. It is all about choice one buys the right technology to suit their requirements. If the shoe fits wear it and with out question the iPad is the correct size for every thing I need. One has to understand that many people have no idea what a spread sheet will do for them they are just not interested My MacBook is used by the family every day. All they use it for is face book surfing the web emails and playing music . When it has a flat battery because some one forgot to charge it they use their iPhones to do the same thing they do not need a laptop it just so happens it is available so they use it. I know exactly what my MacBook will do and won't do and I also know why some of my customers purchase top end Macpros with massive storage and heaps of memory because they need that performance to be productive. The nice part is Apple has a good range of products to suit all requirements for users and the iPad is one of them and the MBA is one of them.

Last edited:

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It already is, CNET have said iPad running IOS 4.2 makes MacBook Air useless...

I usually respect CNET's opinions, but this time they are full of owl dung. The MBA will do everything the iPad can do AND a WHOLE LOT MORE. If I had it to do over, I would get the MBA.

The iPad is just a larger iPod Touch, the MacBook Air is a REAL computer. It has a larger screen than the iPad, it weighs about the same as the iPad etc. etc. etc........

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Say what?
The Apple connector and a USB connector do the same thing. USB belongs to Microsoft and Apple refuted that fact enough to make their own connection port. Plus, they make money selling their own wires, but does Microsoft?

Actually, IBM owns the rights to powered USB not Microsoft.

I believe the reason Apple went with a proprietary connector was more for control of the device and after market sales as you mentioned. Microsoft isn't really in the cable business, but even if they are they would be paying IBM for the USB license, not themselves.
Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I knew it was one of those unghodly multinationals!:p

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chisaki is in some way correct however both have there own markets it is not just a big touch many of the applications I use are not available on the iPhone or iPod touch Reading comics books and newspapers is a dream on the iPad not to mention my quoting system app that I use.

As I said in an earlier post if the shoe fits wear it. The point is it is a buyers choice. As for osx running on the iPad. The answer is a NO that is why the MBA exists one may however within the next couple of years see a MacBook air with touch screen. Who knows what Steve has up his sleeve.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chisaki is in some way correct however both have there own markets it is not just a big touch many of the applications I use are not available on the iPhone or iPod touch Reading comics books and newspapers is a dream on the iPad not to mention my quoting system app that I use.

As I said in an earlier post if the shoe fits wear it. The point is it is a buyers choice. As for osx running on the iPad. The answer is a NO that is why the MBA exists one may however within the next couple of years see a MacBook air with touch screen. Who knows what Steve has up his sleeve.

Check out OSX Lion...it is totally touch based. Keep an eye out for MacPad next year. Betcha Betcha! It won't have the iPad hardware tho...it will be closer to the MBA with a touch screen and no included keyboard.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Check out OSX Lion...it is totally touch based. Keep an eye out for MacPad next year. Betcha Betcha! It won't have the iPad hardware tho...it will be closer to the MBA with a touch screen and no included keyboard.
Oh, goody, goody, goody! Can't wait!:D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right I suspect it will be in a MBA form I said within 2 years to be safe lol

I say next year because Lion is out next summer....so I figure either at the same time as its announced to be released or shortly after.

Most reactions

Latest posts