What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs. MacBook air

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Umm, what do you think that thing is that you plug into your computer...
Calling "that thing" a usb port - with or without any kind of add-ons - is being exceedingly generous.

Steve, is that you? Fess up buddy. :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They both have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't buy another laptop since I can access my mac pro with splash top remote.

I'm waiting on the macpad to make the next upgrade.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They both have advantages and disadvantages.

This is how I see it...

MBA disadvantages
Can't write/draw on the screen.
Can't hold it like a regular book when reading.
Takes longer to start.
Shorter battery life.
About twice the price.

iPad disadvantages
No real usb port or normal file system.
Impossible to use without involving another computer.
Impossible to use fully without WiFi and internet.
VGA out supported by very few apps/programs.
Impossible to mesh with Office beyond basics.
Bizarre and unsatisfactory way of dealing with images.

I knew most of this before I bought mine. I bought it anyway and am glad I did.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't ndrstand how it's impossible to mesh with office...iWork imports and exports all office formats...have you ever used iWork? I can tell no difference...well except that iWork is easier to use and Looks better.

With my keyboard I could write a doc in the same time as you.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you can physically type the document at the same speed. But now think about all of the other things you must do in the process of writing a research paper. Browsing through different websiteo, copying and pasting into the document, opening different file formats including PDF files. Switching between these tasks would be painfully slow on the iPad.

I understand that you like your iPad but I have been working with it in a university environment for the past 8 months and a laptop is simply a much better device for heavy college level work. I'm not just guessing here, I've been living it, I forced myself to only use the iPad for the past 8 months and it just isn't anywhere near as good as a laptop.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah, with the IOS4.2.1 running on iPad make iPad more functional, while the iPad might be able to replace a MacBook for some, but it might not for others. I think when buy an iPad or Mac air should ask some questions like "What will I be using the computer for?" "What functions do I need?" and some more insightful questions listed as the article "Should I get an iPad or a macbook laptop?" in iFunia iPad column listed, then make the best decision~

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Office also has a spreadsheet program. It's called Excel. Not one of the spreadsheet apps for iPad that I've researched can hold a candle to Excel. In fact, they are little more than pretty toys.

allenmobis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobilespysoftware.net
Macbook Air Vs iPad Apple

The MacBook Air boasts a full-size bodily keyboard with 78 keys, 12 function keys and four directional arrows. The iPad relies on a touchscreen keyboard, although it might be paired which has a transportable keyboard.

As for portability, the two are somewhat light. The iPad weighs in at 1.5 pounds for your Wi-Fi edition and 1.6 lbs for 3G. The Air arrives in a very minor heavier at two.3 kilos. Each gadgets aspect 802.11n Wi-Fi that is backward suitable with slower versions of Wi-Fi including 802.11a/b/g, and the two have Bluetooth 2.one + EDR. One particular factor the 11-inch Air does not have is actually a built-in 3G info connection, that is an option with all the iPad. Nonetheless, you could pair the Air which has a MiFi cellular hotspot should you desired to.

As for pricing, the Air commences at $999 and there is an $1,199 possibility as well. The iPad ranges in cost from $499 to $829, based on the storage and 3G options you choose.

Apple's addition of what exactly is essentially a netbook with all the 11-inch MacBook Air is an fascinating new device for that Mac lineup. But it is going to be intriguing to determine if the more compact laptop computer bites into iPad gross sales, or no matter if end users entirely disregard the new laptop in favor of a tablet gadget.

eltos_lightfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on how important the advantages of the iPad are for you. I love having insane battery life, instant on, more portability, custom apps, etc. But I also am required to take a secured laptop on trips with me for work. Since I already have a laptop, the iPad is perfect for grad school. I have written papers before using pages, and then used dropbox to send them to my Win7 computer to finish up...not easy-peasy, but not difficult either...

csplain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My review

iPad and MBA are competitors if the customer thinks so. In this case it is for me. Quick review:

iPad is great, love the full touch. But I became really annoyed at functions that were missing or altered from a standard PC/MAC experience. Yes yes i realize that for new/niave owners this is not an issue...but for customers like me raised on PCs (and have had iphone and mac for ever), it became really annoying, especially when there is no good reason. simple examples were: certain browser controls and functions are missing (no good reason for this), no radio playlists in tunes (what???), etc. of course there were work around to probably anything but that is not the point...the point is I did not want to have to have artificial limitations. Just give me the tablet, w full touch. All the great iphone/ipad apps could be provided on the same hardware, as an app, on a mac, on a tablet.

sooooo.......

ipad is great for the mission, consume content but has 'features' that will limit it to this mission. if its all you need BUY IT! its great!

if you want a more full featured computer, MBA is it!

BUT THE BOTTOM LINE TO ME AS A CUSTOMER is: I would just like to ipad hardware running OSX with ipad apps running in it. It will get there sometime in the future...I just wonder if android tablets will get there sooner...

ONE MORE THING: this is a lot like comparing a low end economy car to a luxury car, depends what you want. the annoying thing to me is the (sometimes) arbitrary changes in UI between the two...like having the gas and brake pedals switched on the economy car, or having your radio not allow certain stations to be played on it. When the product differentation makes sense most customers understand, when seems arbitrary thats something different.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts