What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to be newb with quick question

chenmiester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I searched the forum already to see if anyone else had already posted this question but I couldn't find anything. I currently have an iPhone 4 with an iTunes account that is connected to iCloud. I plan to purchase my first iPad when the iPad 3 comes out. Unfortunately, all of the USB ports on my laptop - where my iTunes account is located - are broken beyond repair but thankfully I've never really needed them for anything. I'm just wondering if it is possible to connect a new iPad 3 to my current iTunes account without the need of a USB cable. When I turn on the iPad 3 for the first time, would I just be able to enter in my iCloud account information and just like that be able to sync the data from my iTunes account to the iPad 3? Also, would the data on my iPhone 4 automatically start syncing to my iPad 3 since they would both be on the same iTunes account? Thanks for any answers.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
with the last iOS update the iPhones and iPads no longer need to be connected to a computer.

just start using it and enter your apple ID and turn on iCloud and all of your icloud content will auto magically be loaded onto the iPad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chenmeister, nice to speak to you.

Along with MikeToolz's good advice, rather than back up to the cloud-I do a wifi sync between my iPad and iTunes. I have not used the iCloud service at this time and have performed my backups back to iTunes on my PC. Also, keep in mind that the iCloud has a limited amount of storage (5gb) that is available-so keep that in mind if you ever need to utilize the cloud in the future.

Also: Welcome to the iPadForum! This forum is loaded with invaluable information which contain topics including: General Discussion of the iPad, iPad Operating System, iPad App Store, Accessories, and Ipad for Business and Education.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country. See here:Regional iPad Groups

If you have not already done so, please take a moment to download the iPad Manual User Guide iOS 5. This is extremely helpful if you are new to the iPad world.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Finally, please take the time to read the Forum Rules:
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Best Wishes and Enjoy!

OP
C

chenmiester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no more USB cables needed even with the iPad straight out of the box? Sweet! Thanks so much!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was one of the key features with the iOS 5 when it was released in October 2011.

You can still do a direct connect if you wish, but is unnecessary at this time. All future updates will be over the air (OTA).

Most reactions

Latest posts