What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad screen keyboard repeating / double typing letters: fix

kenap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an old thread but a new problem for me (ipad air, IOS 12.0). My screen keyboard started repeating letters rather randomly with one press, as in raandoomlly...

I tried the recommended fixes: reboot ipad, turn off keyboard settings, delete/change keyboards etc. Nothing worked. I saw one rather strange recommendation: disconnect the charging cable. It is a Lightning cable. Disconnecting it cured the problem. I did assorted typing tests with the cable plugged in and unplugged. The cable plugged in is the culprit.

I have had to replace the charging cable recently, with a third party one. The problem may be a result of this third party cable, maybe not. However this solution worked for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Capacitive touch screens are sensitive to power grounding issues. Sounds like your third party cable may not be well shielded, or a combination of that and poor grounding in the house. Also, if the power supply is a cheap third party unit, it can be the culprit.

We’ve seen this before, though the more common symptom is random ghost touches.

OP
K

kenap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Capacitive touch screens are sensitive to power grounding issues. Sounds like your third party cable may not be well shielded, or a combination of that and poor grounding in the house. Also, if the power supply is a cheap third party unit, it can be the culprit.

We’ve seen this before, though the more common symptom is random ghost touches.

OP
K

kenap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, useful info, I appreciate your reply.

So, after your reply I tried test with Apple power supply, and then third party power supply, both with third party cable. No difference, no key repeats with either. Inconclusive. Seems to be an intermittent hardware-software issue.

Third party cable and power supplies are supposedly certified to required standard. House wiring grounding is unlikely (fairly new wiring throughout) and ground is OK according to GPO plug test. I guess the lesson is pay extra for Apple gear, cross fingers, and hope that current Apple charger power supplies are not faulty aka those of a few years ago.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some third party power supplies and cables are certified. Those should be ok. Others, the really cheap ones you can find on Amazon, are often cheap in all aspects, including safety and reliablilty.

Most reactions

Latest posts