What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad run from 'big' battery?

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, lets see if we can simplify this a bit.

We'll specify a power pack with at least 20,000 mAH, at least one USB-A port for powering the iPad, and a USB-C port for charging the power pack. The vast majority of power packs that are usable for larger devices have USB-C as an option to charge. More ports are fine, good even.

Drawing 1: This is what you currently have.

Drawing 2: You need absolutely nothing new to plug the power pack into the device. You have it all, except the power pack specified above. You might want a second Lighting to USB-A cable, so you don't have to unplug it from the iPad's charger every time you go out to the shed.

Drawing 3: Option 1: You can use your current iPad power supply to charge the power pack. You'll need a USB-A to USB-C cable to do this. There a few power packs that can use a Lightning port to charge, but they are mostly for iPhones with less than 20,000 mAH capacity. If you hunt down one of these and use it you won't need a new cable, but I don't recommend it for reasons I'll mention later.

Drawing 3: Option 2: You get a new power supply with a USB-C port and a USB-C to USB-C cable to charge the power pack. It needs to be at least 15W. Bigger will charge the device faster, up to a point.

I recommend the 2nd option for several reasons.

1. A second power supply will let you charge your iPad and power pack at the same time.
2. Both the USB-C power supply and USB-C to USB-C cable will likely come in handy down the road when/if you upgrade your iPad, or purchase other, newer devices. (but not the iPhone, yet).
3. With the addition of a Lightning to USB-C cable, you can use the second power supply as a backup for the iPad.

None of these cables need to be expensive. $10 to $15 dollars is about right. An ok power supply should run around $25 to $50 dollars. Much cheaper and you risk getting less safe knockoffs. More expensive is a waste of money for your purposes.

Keep in mind I'm leaving out a lot of options that might be the perfect fit, but this should be good enough.

View attachment 96209

Fantastic twerppoet. Hugely helpful, for an idiot such as I am. So I have a usb-A cable then already. Understood. So I guess it's a lottery as to whether the power pack has a usb-A port then. Most seem to be usb-C's. Which leaves me wondering if that means it's not compatible, or yes if I buy a different lead, or yes if I buy a usb-A to usb-C adaptor.

So still some guessing to do buying a power pack. Even if it might say ipad compatible, would an adaptor actually work: a rhetorical Q, as Ive used adaptors before in digital cameras into ipad & didn't work.

So I'll scour about to find one - with- a charge cable included. Now I know these do exist. Then just see what happens trying to plug a into b into c & go from there. I'll report back once I've actually got one. I'll definitely get a 20,000mah at your advice.

Thanks really appreciate the diagrams. SDDoodle

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, lets see if we can simplify this a bit.

We'll specify a power pack with at least 20,000 mAH, at least one USB-A port for powering the iPad, and a USB-C port for charging the power pack. The vast majority of power packs that are usable for larger devices have USB-C as an option to charge. More ports are fine, good even.

Drawing 1: This is what you currently have.

Drawing 2: You need absolutely nothing new to plug the power pack into the device. You have it all, except the power pack specified above. You might want a second Lighting to USB-A cable, so you don't have to unplug it from the iPad's charger every time you go out to the shed.

Drawing 3: Option 1: You can use your current iPad power supply to charge the power pack. You'll need a USB-A to USB-C cable to do this. There a few power packs that can use a Lightning port to charge, but they are mostly for iPhones with less than 20,000 mAH capacity. If you hunt down one of these and use it you won't need a new cable, but I don't recommend it for reasons I'll mention later.

Drawing 3: Option 2: You get a new power supply with a USB-C port and a USB-C to USB-C cable to charge the power pack. It needs to be at least 15W. Bigger will charge the device faster, up to a point.

I recommend the 2nd option for several reasons.

1. A second power supply will let you charge your iPad and power pack at the same time.
2. Both the USB-C power supply and USB-C to USB-C cable will likely come in handy down the road when/if you upgrade your iPad, or purchase other, newer devices. (but not the iPhone, yet).
3. With the addition of a Lightning to USB-C cable, you can use the second power supply as a backup for the iPad.

None of these cables need to be expensive. $10 to $15 dollars is about right. An ok power supply should run around $25 to $50 dollars. Much cheaper and you risk getting less safe knockoffs. More expensive is a waste of money for your purposes.

Keep in mind I'm leaving out a lot of options that might be the perfect fit, but this should be good enough.

View attachment 96209
Great advice as always, well done!

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chaps. Just got the power pack. It comes with a " type C to usb " cable.

Usefully it's the same type as the blue end photo above.

Assuming the type C smaller end goes into the IN side of things. And assuming the 4 tiny dots might be charging indicators..

Can someone tell me: where is the actual charger? There must be a charger, of some form, to get charge into it. It cannot be within the lead.

Thanks, SDD

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi chaps. Just got the power pack. It comes with a " type C to usb " cable.

Usefully it's the same type as the blue end photo above.

Assuming the type C smaller end goes into the IN side of things. And assuming the 4 tiny dots might be charging indicators..

Can someone tell me: where is the actual charger? There must be a charger, of some form, to get charge into it. It cannot be within the lead.

Thanks, SDD
Hi again - please provide the brand and model (or an uploaded pic or link) - might help us understand the one you purchased - I own a half dozen different chargers (accumulated over 10+ years) - one that I carry on the road is shown below, i.e. AC receptacle and 2 USB-A plug-ins - that is the type of charger you need and may already have in your collection, e.g. the one used to charge your iPad? Plus, TP in his diagrams pictured a charger - now you simply connect the appropriate cable - from your description the USB-A end goes into the charger and the USB-C end plugs to the 'IN' port of your battery pack. Dave :)

P.S. I also own chargers w/ a USB-C and 'fast charge' technology - use one for my iPad Pro (which has a USB-C port) - in that instance, the cable has USB-C connectors on each end.
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.48.59 AM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
No problem.

Hi again - please provide the brand and model (or an uploaded pic or link) - might help us understand the one you purchased - I own a half dozen different chargers (accumulated over 10+ years) - one that I carry on the road is shown below, i.e. AC receptacle and 2 USB-A plug-ins - that is the type of charger you need and may already have in your collection, e.g. the one used to charge your iPad? Plus, TP in his diagrams pictured a charger - now you simply connect the appropriate cable - from your description the USB-A end goes into the charger and the USB-C end plugs to the 'IN' port of your battery pack. Dave :)

P.S. I also own chargers w/ a USB-C and 'fast charge' technology - use one for my iPad Pro (which has a USB-C port) - in that instance, the cable has USB-C connectors on each end.
View attachment 96293
Hi giradman.
I understand the principle entirely. It's crystal clear thanks to TP & the diagrams. But it doesn't tell me where the charger actually/ physically is.

I can see a charger in your pic above, many thanks for this ( & your patience, TP too) . Its a grey lump with two wires. So, does this mean then, that I have to buy a charger? A rhetorical Q.

If so, surely it needs to be very specific to the thing to be charged. As everything in my life beforehand that is battery driven, a Nokia phone, a cordless drill driver, a builders led lamp.. everything without one exception, has a dedicated charger. Not some uniform one that could be used for anything else, a specific, dedicated charger.

This doesn't. So: if it is to be charged, then there has to be a charger for it. This is a given. So, where is this charger? It might be within the battery pack, or the cable ( as these two things I have rcvd, two things only). It cannot in the cable, that is nuts. So. It has to be actually within the battery pack.

Would you be able to confirm if this is true, or false?

Im sort of back where I started.

Thanks, SDD

OP
S
Reaction score
@giradman

forgive me, but your picture eg above is not of use. Its a completely different scenario. This is the confusion. This is the difference.

Your pic above is as my per my list of prior battery-driven eg's ( nokia phone, builders led light). There are two bits of hardware. A device, & a charger. Here, is your iphone, with it's separate charger. My ipad is the same.

Ok. Your iphone eg above came with a charger. My ipad did too. Why your pic above shows an aftermarket charger, I think, is n/ a. It might as well just show my ipad with its charger plug. Unless Im mistaken.

The sellerof my light, good comm, has replied. Even given a photo. No explanation, but a photo. This shows my light connected to a big old style computer 'box' you had next to your knees. Big thing. Usb ports galore.

This big thing though.... isn't a charger. It's a computer. So, where the charging situation actually happens A) cannot be within this big computer box, & so B) is not known where it occurs.

Where it occurs... is where the charger simply is. But this place is unknown.

SDD

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi giradman.
I understand the principle entirely. It's crystal clear thanks to TP & the diagrams. But it doesn't tell me where the charger actually/ physically is.

I can see a charger in your pic above, many thanks for this ( & your patience, TP too) . Its a grey lump with two wires. So, does this mean then, that I have to buy a charger? A rhetorical Q.

If so, surely it needs to be very specific to the thing to be charged. As everything in my life beforehand that is battery driven, a Nokia phone, a cordless drill driver, a builders led lamp.. everything without one exception, has a dedicated charger. Not some uniform one that could be used for anything else, a specific, dedicated charger.

This doesn't. So: if it is to be charged, then there has to be a charger for it. This is a given. So, where is this charger? It might be within the battery pack, or the cable ( as these two things I have rcvd, two things only). It cannot in the cable, that is nuts. So. It has to be actually within the battery pack.

Would you be able to confirm if this is true, or false?

Im sort of back where I started.

Thanks, SDD
Hello SDD - you still have not told us what 'battery pack' you purchased just that the 'IN' would accept a USB-C connector; also, I'm assuming that you use a charger for your iPad? If so, it plugs into AC and has a USB-A port - the cable you use has USB-A for the charger and a lightning connector for your iPad - is this correct? Your iPad charger can be used to charge your battery pack w/ the right cable - the charger is not in the battery pack.

In recent years, chargers (whether by Apple or 3rd party producers) have become more sophisticated and multi-functional, i.e. can be used with a variety of cables and charge different devices - please see my pic below which I just setup: 1) On the right are 4 devices that I own; 2) In the middle, are the cable connectors for these devices - 3 different types (the battery pack also uses USB-C like my iPad); 3) Other ends of the cables are all USB-A connectors that can plug into the white charger (same as the one in black that I showed in my last post); and 4) Charger w/ 2 USB-A ports and a retractable AC plug-in. This charger DOES NOT have to be specifically made or used with only one device - can charge other devices that I own (e.g. portable headphones, wife's iPad Mini, and my electric pepper/salt grinders that have built-in batteries w/ a USB Micro plug).

So, first just try to charge your 'new' battery pack w/ your iPad charger and presumably with a USB-A and USB-C cable from your previous discussion, and let us know the results. Dave :)

P1050297.JPG

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
@giradman

Im just as confused. Nothing is becoming clearer.

Ok let me go back a step. I need to go in tiny steps here to try understanding wtf is going on.

Al my previous things thst have batteries in simply come with a charger. This seems not to. Unless the charger is within the battery pack, but you say it isn't.

So, am I meant to buy a charger? Or am I meant to just 'plug it into a computer's usb port'? Or am I meant to just plug it into a plug adaptor with a usb port on it? Or am I meant to not care whatsoever, & just plug it into any possible usb port place I can find?

Why is there no info on where to plug this thing into, to charge it?? Its exactly the same with a led light Im wanting to buy, but it comes with no charger, just like this, & just an identical lead. With aphoto of it sent to me by the seller, of the led light plugged into a tower old school PC's usb port. How, how, how, can this possibly, possibly, possibly be charging it??? A PC is not a charger!!!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@giradman

Im just as confused. Nothing is becoming clearer.

Ok let me go back a step. I need to go in tiny steps here to try understanding wtf is going on.

Al my previous things thst have batteries in simply come with a charger. This seems not to. Unless the charger is within the battery pack, but you say it isn't.

So, am I meant to buy a charger? Or am I meant to just 'plug it into a computer's usb port'? Or am I meant to just plug it into a plug adaptor with a usb port on it? Or am I meant to not care whatsoever, & just plug it into any possible usb port place I can find?

Why is there no info on where to plug this thing into, to charge it?? Its exactly the same with a led light Im wanting to buy, but it comes with no charger, just like this, & just an identical lead. With aphoto of it sent to me by the seller, of the led light plugged into a tower old school PC's usb port. How, how, how, can this possibly, possibly, possibly be charging it??? A PC is not a charger!!!
A so called charger is really only a device for adapting high voltage AC current to a lower DC current that your iPad or other device can take on board and store power in its lithium battery. The iPad technically does the charging and has it’s own regulator. So, all you need to charge your battery pack is the so called iPad, or other adaptor/charger.

OP
S
Reaction score
@giradman I have an energizer 20,000mah battery pack. It is the same photo as I put up before. It came with a short usb to mini C cable. I have no idea what kind of usb cable end it is.

The inputs seem to need 5v, 2A. The small lead end fits the larger input port.

The outputs 5v, 2.1A. I have no idea what usb type of ports they are ( 2 of).

I have no idea if this is compatible with my iPad, I had to take a chance it would be, but so much info & I was so confused tbh I was overwhelmed.

Thanks, SDD

Attachments

• B95FE9D0-3841-42B2-B4AE-3B852A7FB716.jpeg
    B95FE9D0-3841-42B2-B4AE-3B852A7FB716.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 58
  • D8134B51-EE6A-4B72-A276-31FE8D92BFB0.jpeg
    D8134B51-EE6A-4B72-A276-31FE8D92BFB0.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 59
OP
S
Reaction score
A so called charger is really only a device for adapting high voltage AC current to a lower DC current that your iPad or other device can take on board and store power in its lithium battery. The iPad technically does the charging and has it’s own regulator. So, all you need to charge your battery pack is the so called iPad, or other adaptor/charger.

Hi jupiter, thanks that makes more sense. But surely, if my ipad is so fussy about what " plug/ charger " or whatever on earth the big white plug thing that comes with it is... then other things will be similarly fussy.

The one thing that seems to need matching, the fussy bit, is the 2A rating. But I have not enough knowledge to understand current, so cannot evaluate what is specifically needed ( if it does need something specific) connected to this battery thing to charge it.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is important not to exceed the Voltage required, ie 5 Volts. The device will usually only use the Amps it needs. There should be advice in the instructions as to the maximum if there is a limit.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Jupiter. Understood thanks for that.

It's really the mismatch of the plug's ( my plug that says it's a 'power adaptor') 1A rating.... to the battery pack's 2A rating that I need to double check, then I'm good to go.

I'd hazard a guess that being 1A, ie less, then perhaps that's safer than if it was rated say 4A. Maybe the charge time will just be longer.

On my own here you see, so mitigating against fire risk.. is paramount to me. Chargers give me the heebies as a rule you see, being on so long, & often getting fairly hot.

Thanks for your patience chaps. SDD

Most reactions

Latest posts