What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad run from 'big' battery?

OP
S
Reaction score
Chaps,

plugged the pack in, using my adaptor plug above, presumably charging with 1st & 2nd diddy lights lit, 3rd of 4 lights flashing, & 4th not lit ( does that sound similar to your pack's indicator lights?).

I notice the plug is hot. This was my fundamental concern/ why I wanted to be super sure of what to plug the lead actually into. This could be normal/ to be expected, or not so at all. I have no idea even if the thing is charging tbh. it is not even the tiniest bit warm. Flashing lights... usually mean warning.

This is precisely why I'm so puzzled why no specific usb port hardware thing, is mentioned as being correct to use. Nothing, anywhere.

So I'm back to sq 1 not being sure this plug is correct. Does anyone know about amps, current etc? Tbh as it doesn't say 'charger' on the plug, but 'power adaptor' instead, I'm still uncertain if this thing is not completely incorrect to be using.

Could anyone elieviate my concerns?

Thanks, SDD

OP
S
Reaction score
I've dug out another charger, seems morelike an actual charger/ bit bigger than my plug... 5v, 2A. This seems not to run so hot, just warm.

So great results chaps. It now charges fine, 4 tiny lights etc, & powers the ipad seemingly fine too. No glitches or odd things happen. Decent quality too.

Many thanks indeed twerrpoet, & giradman.

Cheers, Schwanger D.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've dug out another charger, seems morelike an actual charger/ bit bigger than my plug... 5v, 2A. This seems not to run so hot, just warm.

So great results chaps. It now charges fine, 4 tiny lights etc, & powers the ipad seemingly fine too. No glitches or odd things happen. Decent quality too.

Many thanks indeed twerrpoet, & giradman.

Cheers, Schwanger D.
Congrats SSD - thought that you would succeed! :) Wife and I have accumulated a dozen or more AC chargers of various types - the 5V 2A is a common one providing 10 Watts power, i.e. Power (Watts) = Volts (V) x Amps (A) - most of these AC chargers will become warm (converting 110 or 220 V AC to much lower power DC is not 100% efficient, so heat is generated) - however, HOT to the touch might be a problem (many articles online discussing the issue - one HERE, if interested). Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Chaps, just a quick question.

Ive been testing out the pack, using ipad with it in my sittingroom. So connected up to www. What I notice is it powers the ipad fine, usually it seems just using the power directly from the pack, its 4 tiny indicator lights on ( presumably meaning its fully charged) & I see the ipad's charging symbol top
RHS, & if say I start a session on 80%, as expected the ipad charges to 100% from the pack after say 20 mins. All fine, as expected.

So I use it for an hour onward from this juncture, & it stays at 100%, with the charging symbol still showing. All as expected.

Then, right now, I look at it, another 20 mins on... & the ipad charging symbol has changed to a battery symbol, the pack's indicator lights not lit, & Im at 85% & counting ( down ).

So what's happening here? I was expecting to simply use the pack as a battery from which to run the ipa. This it seemed to be doing, but only for a short time. Now its stopped. 82% right now: so seems to be going down rapidly too ( only this text Im writing, no YouTube thing playing & music too or anything at all ). Now 81%.

Thanks SDD

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I get the same behavior with numerous recharging bricks. I’m not sure if it is caused by the iPad or the power brick. My brick has a power switch I have to press again to get the charging to restart.

OP
S
Reaction score
I get the same behavior with numerous recharging bricks. I’m not sure if it is caused by the iPad or the power brick. My brick has a power switch I have to press again to get the charging to restart.

Hi BFAZ, thanks for your reply. Well that's good, in so much as it might not be faulty then/ my concern. Yes I notice it rejigs itself if I simply unplug ipad- replug in. Just checking.

Thanks, sDd

Most reactions

Latest posts