What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad RAW photo support?

MelSnyder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know another editing program that can handle RAW files under 4.2 on the iPad?

Since originally posting this comment, I have discovered, largely through trial and error (preceded by "purchase") that 100% of all programs that edited NEF files under OS 3.2 do not edit NEF files under OS4.2. Those program "see" only the small thumbnail jpeg embedding in a NEF file.

However, I am delighted to report that the beta of the most praised Photogene does again edit the NEF files, and it is a quantum improvement over the original.

Developer Omer Shoor is to be congratulated on the success of Mobile-Pond programmers in developing one of the best simple editing programs on any platform. All iPad photographers should be on the watch for the new version when it come out - it is a truly great program.

Mel

MelSnyder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I have Canon 7D RAW files (25-30MB each) on my CF Card in the Apple iPad Camera Adapter, I'll get an error message about the accessory requiring too much power; and the photo app shuts down without transferring.

Remove the RAW files, and JPEG's transfer just fine; even though they're each in the 6-8 MB size range.

:D

I am still using the 3.2.2 iOS.

I need to modify this. My Canon EOS 7D makes pretty large files, even when only shooting JPEG. The files are between 6-9 MB each. If there are more than a couple of them on the CF card, I, too, get the too much power error message.
-------------------------------

Must be a Canon thing. My Nikon D300 NEF files are 11-12mb each, and they load no problem. This past weekend, I loaded about 400 images off a 16gb Sandisk Extreme III card with no problems. I rented a 5D Mark II for a video shoot a few months back, and found it had problems reading into/out of Sandisk Extreme III, and had to run out to buy some slower Kingston cards to finish the job.

In fact, I discovered that an unpowered GE brand multi-media card reader sold by Walgreen's enables direct reading into the iPad through the camera connector - but only with Sandisk Extreme III and Ultra cards. I tested up to 16gb Extreme III with the GE card reader and it loaded perfectly, at the same rate as if connected to the D300. Kingston immediately yielded a power-drain warning.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
However, I am delighted to report that the beta of the most praised Photogene does again edit the NEF files, and it is a quantum improvement over the original.

Developer Omer Shoor is to be congratulated on the success of Mobile-Pond programmers in developing one of the best simple editing programs on any platform. All iPad photographers should be on the watch for the new version when it come out - it is a truly great program.

Mel

I just downloaded the current version, and it sure beats the socks off of PhotoShop Express.

Thanks for the tip!

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another Interesting development

I recently got a new 16 GB CF card for my Canon EOS 7D. The iPad and CCK will not let me move photos from this card to the iPad. When I try, I get the too much power required error message; and the iPad reverts to the home screen.

If I use my 8 GB CF card, no problems. Interesting! Sounds like a good question to ask SanDisk about.

bluehydrangeas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a new app for processing RAW... i think its better for raw vs photogene. its called piRAWnha for iPad

photographyblog.com/news/process_raw_images_on_the_ipad

zer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a new one called RawConverter that doesn't require Internet access. It was free for a bit and I have a copy. Useful for when I next go on vacation.

Most reactions