What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pre-Order Shipping date changed again

sbarnes8478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:D:D:D I got it!!!

What a tale of woe.

1. My son was home to meet the truck, but he somehow missed it. Website showed delivery exception, customer not available.

2. I called, rather pissed. The agent said I could pick it up at the local facility after 4:30.

3. I get there promptly at 4:30, driver's not back, truck broke down.

4. Wait, wait, wait....

5. Got it!
:):) typed on my iPad!!!

OP
C

Colsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This totally sucks, I am really p*ssed now. Just checked my status and it says:

May 28, 2010 11:10 AM
Delivery exception​

KELOWNA, BC
Future delivery requested​

So, I called my husband who has been home all day, thinking he missed the delivery van. But there is no delivery sticker, nothing. I phone the 1-800 number and it says delivery was attemped and no one was home.

So, I speak to an agent who then says that they haven't attempted delivery yet. Apparently Apple have asked them to hold off delivery until later today and it will be delieved some time later today (up to midnight) or even tomorrow morning.

The delivery date on the tracking has now been updated to show today 11:59pm.

Where we live is not exactly a huge place and it has been in the city since 7:05am and now I might not get it until tomorrow!!

Winawer

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Delivery exception​

KELOWNA, BC

So, I called my husband who has been home all day, thinking he missed the delivery van. But there is no delivery sticker, nothing. I phone the 1-800 number and it says delivery was attemped and no one was home.

So, I speak to an agent who then says that they haven't attempted delivery yet. Apparently Apple have asked them to hold off delivery until later today and it will be delieved some time later today (up to midnight) or even tomorrow morning.

Where we live is not exactly a huge place and it has been in the city since 7:05am and now I might not get it until tomorrow!!

That sucks! I hope that you gets yours soon.

xtianyves

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Delivery exception​

KELOWNA, BC

I got the same response from FedEx today too. They say it will come tomorrow but they can't guarantee that it will. I'm really close to calling Apple to complain and just get my money back. I've wasted a whole day waiting for something that isn't even arriving today.

I hope you get yours tomorrow Colsgirl. I won't be around to receive mine.

On a brighter note my TwelveSouth BookArc for the iPad just came via UPS. Right on schedule. Apple & FedEx take note.

Now all I need is an iPad to put in this thing.

Winawer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the e-mail I received from Apple:

Dear ******,

Thank you for your iPad order.

Your iPad is currently in transit, however, FedEx has informed us
that, due to a flight delay, your package will not deliver on May 28th
as planned. We are closely tracking your order and working with FedEx
to deliver it as soon as possible. FedEx will make every effort to
deliver your iPad on Saturday, May 29th.

If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-676-2775, from
5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
and Sunday, Pacific time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks again,
The Apple Store

I'm on hold with the Apple Store number right now, because FedEx swore up and down that they won't be delivering on Saturday. I need to know when I need to stay home, because I leave the city on Tuesday and I'm supposed to be testing the iPad on my trip!

OP
C

Colsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on hold with the Apple Store number right now, because FedEx swore up and down that they won't be delivering on Saturday. I need to know when I need to stay home, because I leave the city on Tuesday and I'm supposed to be testing the iPad on my trip!

I think I will be sending an e-mail to Apple this evening as I don't think this is acceptable. We ordered on 10 May, they knew how many people ordered. FedEx are an international company, if they couldn't cope with the volume then Apple should have used more than one carrier.

My husband has been stuck in the house since 7am waiting for this delivery. By midnight that will be 17 hours. He has errands to run for work (his own shipping etc) and is in the house until I get back. And it now might not even be delivered today. Then FedEx are telling me that this is because Apple want it this way!!

On the plus side just saw the you tube of the leaked 3-D Nintendo DS and it looks awesome.

Winawer

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think I will be sending an e-mail to Apple this evening as I don't think this is acceptable. We ordered on 10 May, they knew how many people ordered. FedEx are an international company, if they couldn't cope with the volume then Apple should have used more than one carrier.

My husband has been stuck in the house since 7am waiting for this delivery. By midnight that will be 17 hours. He has errands to run for work (his own shipping etc) and is in the house until I get back. And it now might not even be delivered today. Then FedEx are telling me that this is because Apple want it this way!!

On the plus side just saw the you tube of the leaked 3-D Nintendo DS and it looks awesome.

I just got off the phone with Apple, and they told me that their internal systems show that the order will be delivered on the 31st. The person I spoke to was very nice and apologized for the confusion, but I'll still probably send an e-mail as well. <sigh> No iPad weekend for me.

OP
C

Colsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it arrived at 4:20pm after 2 more phone calls. Typing on it now. For those not getting it until 31st I'm really sorry for you. I still think when we ordered on 10th that it isn't good enough. But it will be worth it when you get it.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Colsgirl said:
it arrived at 4:20pm after 2 more phone calls. Typing on it now. For those not getting it until 31st I'm really sorry for you. I still think when we ordered on 10th that it isn't good enough. But it will be worth it when you get it.

World wide it has had a massive impact on courier services in Australia with a population of 26 mllion which is about the same as greater LA, 30,000 preordered ipads were delivered by TNT. That was one of the biggest days for them ever !
It's unfortunate some were delayed in Canada but the bottom line is you did receive yours and that's great

Production had to meet massive orders from around the world and considering that they did an amazing job Couriers in Australia were instructed to deliver late into the night just to try and meet Apples deadline mine arrived at 930 pm Frid 28 but can't use it as having a weekend away with my lady whom is more important than the ipad

Cheers Colin

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The funny thing about my shipment is the guy showed up in just a regular car.

I asked where's the truck and he said he was on his way home from work but wanted to get the final few he had out so that people would have them today.

What a great guy.

OP
C

Colsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The guy who delivered mine literally ran up and down the drive. He was wanting to finish work and couldn't until his cube van was empty.

I know the magnitude of shipping etc was huge, I understand that. My annoyance was with not being told of delays etc. If I hadn't phoned up I wouldn't have found anything out or looking on the Internet. For those who took the day off and didn't get a delivery, had they have been told of the delays probably wouldn't have wasted a days holiday.

If you are in Europe where 4-6 weeks holiday is the norm, a day off isn't too bad. In Canada where 2 weeks annual leave is the norm, we use our holidays sparingly!

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm quite upset at the moment.

It's 3:02am on May 28th.

Apple still says "Delivers by May 28th", but FedEx has updated the page from originally saying Estimated Delivery May 28 by 6pm to an expected delivery now of Monday, May 31st by 6pm. I pre-ordered my iPad as soon as immediately possible on May 10th, refreshing the Apple Canada iPad page over and over until "Pre-order" was available. I'll be quite upset if I don't get it today on the 28th. I ordered a WiFi + 3G 64GB flavour with AppleCare and a Rogers microSIM (which came via UPS on the 26th)... so I dropped a decent amount of cash too.

Here's my tracking info:

May 28, 2010 12:30 AM Arrived at FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
May 27, 2010 3:11 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
May 27, 2010 5:18 PM In transit MISSISSAUGA, ON Paperwork available for non-FedEx broker
May 27, 2010 1:10 PM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
May 27, 2010 8:26 PM In transit SHENZHEN CN
May 27, 2010 7:09 PM In transit SHENZHEN CN
May 26, 2010 9:33 PM At local FedEx facility SHENZHEN CN
May 26, 2010 12:07 AM Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN
May 25, 2010 8:41 PM Picked up SHENZHEN CN Package received after FedEx cutoff
May 24, 2010 10:47 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

I'm not sure what the hold up was between May 25-27 in Shenzhen, China - but it seems to have screwed up my delivery for launch day. It was held there for an entire additional day than what everybody else's seems to have been. It seems like it left on 5/26 at 12:07am like most people's did, but then somehow ended up BACK at the Shenzhen facility almost a day later. Super frustrating. Hoping it's an error in the tracking updates and that it's with everybody else's getting ready for delivery.

You see, Apple ships products in bulk quantities to make it quicker and easier to clear customs (others will likely have similar tracking routes to mine) and then they aren't actually separated until they are at the DESTINATION SORT CENTRE status in Mississauga - the paperwork update is not actually a tracking location.

My iPad hasn't even reached the destination sort centre, so it's still bulked with others' iPads and probably won't come until Monday now. I have not received any delay email from Apple so I'm hoping it can power through and make it today on the 28th, but if not I'm hoping to weasel something out of Apple for the inconvenience and no notification of delay.

The only hope that I have is that I've seen others' tracking information go from "Arrived at FedEx in Memphis" to "Left FedEx Facility in Memphis" to "Dest Sort Centre in Mississauga" within 12 hours total, and I live about 30 minutes from Mississauga - so if it can make it there by mid-day Friday I may have a hope. Not getting my hopes up too high though at this point... I'm very disappointed.

Anybody else in my boat feel free to comment, and I'll be sure to post back with any updates I get throughout the day.

EDIT AT 3:37AM 5/28: While there is no additional update in my tracking information, my estimated delivery date has been changed back to May 28th by 6pm! Yes! Fingers crossed.

EDIT AT 9:15AM 5/28: My FedEx tracking information still has an expected delivery date of May 28 by 6pm, but when I call FedEx they are saying that there's no way the package will meet that deadline and that it won't arrive until May 31st. At this point, I don't know who to believe.

EDIT AT 9:30AM 5/28: And there it is. The email from Apple saying that there has been a "flight delay" and that my iPad won't arrive on the 28th as planned. They say FedEx will attempt a Saturday delivery, but FedEx told me they don't do Saturday delivery in my area... great. This sucks.

EDIT AT 9:40AM 5/28: Wow. This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Just talked to FedEx again, and they said (despite what the website says) that additional scans have been done and that the iPad is in Canada has cleared customs and will be delivered by the end of the day today. This coming right after Apple sent me a delay email... I don't get it. I guess only time will tell... I took the day off today... need my iPad!

Fedex said the same thing and I waited until 5 PM at my work place today. I got a call from Fedex again telling me they can't deliver my iPad today. :-( Sucks! Now I have to go back to the office tomorrow just to wait for my shipment. They can't re-direct to my home address and I can't pick it up at a Fedex depot because I don't have a picture ID with my work address on it.

xtianyves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well my iPad finally came last night. It was one hell of a crazy Friday.

I saw that the tracking status online changed from May 28th by 12 PM to "by 11:59 PM" and thought I would give FedEx yet another call. I already got a call earlier from a trace agent saying it would definitely not come until tomorrow but decided to ask again anyway.

So I called FedEx and I even asked the rep to check the driver's manifest just to see if there was even a remote chance it would arrive last night and was told it would definitely not. I'd been waiting at home all day and I was going to head out for dinner with my wife so I wanted to make absolutely sure it wasn't coming.

And so, sure enough, while I was waiting for a table at the restaurant with my wife I see that I just missed a call from FedEx. It was a blocked number but I was sure it was FedEx because they were the only other blocked number I got a call from throughout the whole day. I called into FedEx again to see if a rep could put me through since they didn't leave voicemail and after that didn't pan out, I decided to just give up and forget about it.

Two hours later at almost 9:30 I got home and literally seconds after getting in the door my door buzzer rang and it was FedEx. He asked me to come down and talk to him so he could "explain what happened" to me. I got down to my apartment lobby and the driver explained he had delivered my package to another resident in the building so that I wouldn't have to go to their facility since he missed me. Anyway he had literally just come and rang my buzzer probably the same time I was on my way up. I was wondering why he would have left my iPad with someone else even if that other person had ordered an iPad as well. If the FedEx driver hadn't thought to try and buzz me again I can't honestly be sure I would have gotten the iPad from the other resident. The other resident came and brought me my package and the FedEx driver said he'd already signed for it so I had nothing left to do.

What a bizarre Friday this is and certainly one of the most aggravating days waiting for any one item to arrive and being stuck at a home all day. I am sure there are many others out there who have lost a day waiting for something that was supposed to be guaranteed to arrive.

The thing that bothered me the most about today is how FedEx could not give me a straight answer and even went so far as to tell me that it would NOT come today when it, in fact, did. I don't know who's at fault here or whether it was just Apple's lack of foresight into ensuring their products get delivered. They could have even used FedEx Ground as an overflow if FedEx (Express) couldn't handle it. It's sad to hear that our European counterparts even got theirs early and even in Australia most got theirs in time.

That's it for my rant. I won't forget this one for a while yet.

I guess I can say I'm happy I got my iPad now. I am typing this on it right now.

For those of you who didn't get it yet I hope your wait is over soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts