What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External hard drive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone used an external hard drive with their ipad air? I was looking for extra memory for mine and came across this web page.
http://toppicker.hubpages.com/hub/Best-iPad-Air-iPad-Mini-External-Hard-Drive-Storage
Says you can connect wireless without the need of a router.

Well, let's not call such a device an external drive - kind of confuses the issue w/ using a USB connected HD which is not possible on the iPad; however, there are plenty of 'wireless' solutions, which appear in the link given.

I'll just comment on the Air Stash which I own - indeed a router is NOT needed; the device establishes it's own local network and an app on the iPad allows the latter to connect; the AirStash accepts SD cards (including those of high capacity) - certain types of files can be transferred (read the manual on their website, if interested) - for myself, transferral of image files has been its main use. Dave :

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone used an external hard drive with their ipad air? I was looking for extra memory for mine and came across this web page.
http://toppicker.hubpages.com/hub/Best-iPad-Air-iPad-Mini-External-Hard-Drive-Storage

chubb3g114

I have been looking at some of these wireless external hard drives too. Thanks for sharing...by the way, @giradman ....it includes the air stash that you mentioned in your post! ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been looking at some of these wireless external hard drives too. Thanks for sharing...by the way, @giradman ....it includes the air stash that you mentioned in your post! ;)

Hi Ski...... - yep, I looked @ the link and saw the Air Stash as one of the featured devices - just wanted to add a little from my own personal experience which might be of interest to the OP? Dave :)

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, let's not call such a device an external drive - kind of confuses the issue w/ using a USB connected HD which is not possible on the iPad; however, there are plenty of 'wireless' solutions, which appear in the link given.

I'll just comment on the Air Stash which I own - indeed a router is NOT needed; the device establishes it's own local network and an app on the iPad allows the latter to connect; the AirStash accepts SD cards (including those of high capacity) - certain types of files can be transferred (read the manual on their website, if interested) - for myself, transferral of image files has been its main use. Dave :
Hi

chubb3g114
Hi Chub, there is also an istick that will serve as external storage, from 8-128gm of memory. It will connect directly to your pad and you can stream via Chromecast.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts