What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad opening apps itself and typing itself

ktmx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.My ipad2 has randomly started having what I can only describe as 'siezures' where it goes mad and starts opening and closing random apps by itself. adding letters onto words that have been typed, jumping from page to page on the net and typing itself. It just starts doing this and I have to turn it off.Often the letters will be repetitive such as 'wwaawwaayyaa' it makes no sense I know. It is irratic when it does this.Does anyont have any solutions? I only got it last October and it is not used that much.Thanks in advance

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ktmx said:
Hi everyone.My ipad2 has randomly started having what I can only describe as 'siezures' where it goes mad and starts opening and closing random apps by itself. adding letters onto words that have been typed, jumping from page to page on the net and typing itself. It just starts doing this and I have to turn it off.Often the letters will be repetitive such as 'wwaawwaayyaa' it makes no sense I know. It is irratic when it does this.Does anyont have any solutions? I only got it last October and it is not used that much.Thanks in advance

Sounds like the touchscreen may be malfunctioning. Take it to the nearest apple store and hope you can recreate the problem. If you can they will likely either fix or replace the unit if no external damage is present.

Good luck !

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, try a reset.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

If you have a third party charger, or are charging from anythingn other than the provided charger, unplug and see if the problem stops. Some cheaper chargers have grounding and noise issues that can affect the touch screen. It's rare, but happens.

If neither of these does the job, as Midranger4 says, time to visit or contact Apple. Hopefully your warrantee is still good.

suzimatt98040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had exactly the same problem! I've had Apple techs on the phone several times over the past few months and they have suggested several different fixes: one is the one that is suggested below (reset) and I had someone else instruct me to close the background apps and someone else tell me to reset the settings. Each time, the problem goes away for a while and then appears again. I think the next time I may take it in to the Apple folks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have either of you tried to do a restore in iTunes? Connect the iPad to iTunes and, in the settings tab of iTunes, press the Restore button. This will put a "fresh" and new version of iOS 5.1.1 on the iPad.

I recommend making a backup first, but - I am unsure if the backup might contain something that will cause the iPad to mess up again. If you can get by with starting all over from scratch, I'd recommend NOT restoring the iPad from backup. Of course, you could try both (restore as new or restore from backup) and see if either work.

If the problem is software related, this should fix it. Else, I figure it's time for the Apple Geniuses to see it.

Good luck.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope you get it fixed, but it sounds like a hardware fault with the screen digitizer to me!

As has already been mentioned, if you take it into a store you will likely get an immediate replacement since this is an obvious fault. Just make sure you are tried restoring it in iTunes at least once. The store staff will ask you (and can check) if you have done this already and will often request that you take it home and try that first if they can see that you have not. So give a restore a try, and if that does not fix it, make an appointment at a store.

Good luck.

sjcov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just started having the same exact problem with my iPad 1 and I concur that it's likely a hardware/digitizer issue. Is there any chance that Apple will fix/replace it? There's no sense in me driving to one of their stores if there's no chance for repair/replacement.

If I do need to replace it myself, I'm considering a move to the Microsoft Surface Pro. I'm not thrilled with the prospect, but as I haven't found a reliable iPad program for viewing/editing powerpoint presentations, I'm thinking the Surface Pro may be my best option. Of course, I'm willing to be talked off the ledge! :mad:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sjcov said:
I have just started having the same exact problem with my iPad 1 and I concur that it's likely a hardware/digitizer issue. Is there any chance that Apple will fix/replace it? There's no sense in me driving to one of their stores if there's no chance for repair/replacement.

If I do need to replace it myself, I'm considering a move to the Microsoft Surface Pro. I'm not thrilled with the prospect, but as I haven't found a reliable iPad program for viewing/editing powerpoint presentations, I'm thinking the Surface Pro may be my best option. Of course, I'm willing to be talked off the ledge! :mad:

Have you tried Keynote?

sjcov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. Funny you should ask. I was just talking to my wife and she mentioned the same program. I'll take a look. Thanks.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sounds like it's possessed. I suggest finding a Catholic priest and having an exorcism done on it :D ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts