What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini 4 CPU speed

emilxert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I just noticed that my iPad mini 4 (5,2 - Cellular) CPU clocks at 1.29 GHz, though official specs say it's 1,5 GHz. Was there anything I missed? iOS 9.3.1

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Geekbench3 only

Hello - I have Geekbench3 in my Utilities folder on my iPad Air 2 which has an A8X chip running at 1.5 GHz - your Mini 4 has an A8 chip running at 1.29 GHz, so your results are correct - see my screen capture below from the app. Dave :)

P.S. welcome to the forum!
IMG_5943.PNG

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Emilxert - I decided to do a little more reading is see if Apple may be 'overclocking' that A8 chip - plenty on the web w/ a Google search - check this LINK - just one item shown below from that discussion - apparently that chip can be accelerated to 1.5 GHz; NOW, whether your particular device applies, not certain? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 11.45.54 AM.png

OP
E

emilxert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Emilxert - I decided to do a little more reading is see if Apple may be 'overclocking' that A8 chip - plenty on the web w/ a Google search - check this LINK - just one item shown below from that discussion - apparently that chip can be accelerated to 1.5 GHz; NOW, whether your particular device applies, not certain? Dave :)
View attachment 71469
Saw that too, that's what inspired this thread in the first place. Hoped someone with another mini 4 could contribute to this weirdness :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Saw that too, that's what inspired this thread in the first place. Hoped someone with another mini 4 could contribute to this weirdness :)

OK, thought that I was helping? :(

My wife has a Mini 4 (Wi-Fi only) - I downloaded the app to her iPad, and ran the 'Processor Benchmark' - the result on her device was 1.29 GHz, as you obtained (see screen capture below) - not sure if this app is simply looking at the processor type and reporting its normal speed, and not the overclocked speed, if applicable - you might have to contact the developer of the app to determine what is really being measured. Let us know - Dave :)
IMG_0284.PNG

OP
E

emilxert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, thought that I was helping? :(

My wife has a Mini 4 (Wi-Fi only) - I downloaded the app to her iPad, and ran the 'Processor Benchmark' - the result on her device was 1.29 GHz, as you obtained (see screen capture below) - not sure if this app is simply looking at the processor type and reporting its normal speed, and not the overclocked speed, if applicable - you might have to contact the developer of the app to determine what is really being measured. Let us know - Dave :)
View attachment 71486
Haha, yeah you helped a lot. And by this sacrifice of your time too! So it might be an issue with the developer of the Bmark, gotta check with them. Thanks for the input! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Haha, yeah you helped a lot. And by this sacrifice of your time too! So it might be an issue with the developer of the Bmark, gotta check with them. Thanks for the input! :)

No problem at all - let us know if the developer responds - I've had 50-50 luck w/ my requests, better if a paid app, of course. Good luck - Dave :)

Most reactions