What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini 2019

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just read that Apple came out with a new mini iPad. Did anybody get it.? How do you like it.
Thanks
Amy

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the new mini does not ship until March 26.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There have been a few articles by people who got early review units. The one by Jason Snell on Six Colors says about all there is to say about it. It’s a beefed up iPad Mini with better specs and hardware, in between the basic iPad and the iPad Pros.

Those that have been wishing for an updated iPad Mini should be happy with it. I’m tempted.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There have been a few articles by people who got early review units. The one by Jason Snell on Six Colors says about all there is to say about it. It’s a beefed up iPad Mini with better specs and hardware, in between the basic iPad and the iPad Pros.

Those that have been wishing for an updated iPad Mini should be happy with it. I’m tempted.
Me too.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What does the pencil do? I read it’s another hundred dollars if you want it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like the Logitec Crayon will work with it as well. This stylus is a colaboratoin between Logitec and Apple orgiginally meant for the educational market, but now availale for anyone. It has the accuracy and smothness of the original Apple pencil, but not the presure sensitivity.

I you just want to take notes or do simple sketches, it’s enough, and cheaper than the Pencil.

The main issue (from my point of view) is that it charges via a femail lightning port. This means you can’t charge it from the iPad Mini when on the go. You’ll need a charger. The Mini’s charger will work.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I get the new mini, I don’t think I will use it, but if I change my mind I can always get it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Agree w/ TP - my wife has the Mini 4 and when the new one was announced, I looked at the specs (two edited and shortened tables below - Source) - her iPad is now 3+ y/o, but has 64 GB storage (only half used) and nearly the same display; here 'battery health' is about 300 cycles and 90% healthy, and she is still 'happy' w/ the device, so will not be a purchase for us (NOW, I may get her a new iMac this year!).

BUT, for those who like the 'footprint' of the iPad Mini and do not own one, then a strong consideration - a decision will have to be made between 64 vs. 256 GB storage. Now, for owners of the Mini 2 or 3, especially if storage, battery health, or 'sluggishness' are issues - and the 'footprint' is still desirable, then think about a Mini 5 replacement, if the budget is right - just my thoughts. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 12.57.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 12.58.27 PM.png

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Kindle is years old with a very aging battery and I’ve been contemplating replacing it—a friend has an old Mini 4 for reading primarily so I had looked at refurbed 4s but hated buying a device that old. I use a 12.9 gen 3 Pro all the time (has pretty much replaced my Macbook Pro 15” except for external drives). Serendipitously the Mini 5 was introed at the right time and I have ordered one. I expect to use it for Kindle reading but also newspapers and other reading, use it as a notepad (I already have gen 1 Pencil), and lots of other things that I just don’t need the 12.9 for—and I will carry it with me using it in preference to my phone for a lot of things. I bought from B & H since they work with me on delivery dates so I won’t get mine until latter part of April. It will be a much more flexible device than a Kindle for me and I’m looking forward to using it,

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My Kindle is years old with a very aging battery and I’ve been contemplating replacing it—a friend has an old Mini 4 for reading primarily so I had looked at refurbed 4s but hated buying a device that old. I use a 12.9 gen 3 Pro all the time (has pretty much replaced my Macbook Pro 15” except for external drives). Serendipitously the Mini 5 was introed at the right time and I have ordered one. I expect to use it for Kindle reading but also newspapers and other reading, use it as a notepad (I already have gen 1 Pencil), and lots of other things that I just don’t need the 12.9 for—and I will carry it with me using it in preference to my phone for a lot of things. I bought from B & H since they work with me on delivery dates so I won’t get mine until latter part of April. It will be a much more flexible device than a Kindle for me and I’m looking forward to using it,

Hi Diane - wife still likes her Mini 4 and fits her needs well, including reading books - you should really enjoy the new Mini - good luck and let us know. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Doesn’t the glare bother you when you read books on your IPad?

Not at all - I read a lot of books on the iPad (now have the new Pro) using the Kindle app (and to a lesser extent Apple's Books app) - with the Kindle app, the brightness of the screen can be controlled (of course, also available in the 'Control Center') and the display colors can be changed, e.g. 'white on black' for nighttime reading, sepia, etc. (see pic below for the options). Dave :)
IMG_5464.PNG

Most reactions