What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini 1st or 2nd Gen.

whetrick1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an IPad Mini about a month or 2 ago before they came out with the new one. How do you tell if it's a 1st or 2nd Gen. And do you need to run a anti-virus on it. New to Ipad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought an IPad Mini about a month or 2 ago before they came out with the new one. How do you tell if it's a 1st or 2nd Gen. And do you need to run a anti-virus on it. New to Ipad.

If you bought it before the 2nd gen came out, it's pretty certain you have a 1st gen. ;) The biggest difference is the Retina display on the 2nd gen. If you have 4G version, the 1st gen has a black plastic antenna cover on the back, the new models don't. And if you bought your 1st gen after October 22, it's only 16GB - once the 2nd gen dropped it became the only model with 32GB and 64GB options.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you bought it before the 2nd gen came out, it's pretty certain you have a 1st gen. ;) The biggest difference is the Retina display on the 2nd gen. If you have 4G version, the 1st gen has a black plastic antenna cover on the back, the new models don't. And if you bought your 1st gen after October 22, it's only 16GB - once the 2nd gen dropped it became the only model with 32GB and 64GB options.

The new mini cellular doesn't have the RF window on the back? Mine does.

Apple - iPad mini with Retina display - Technical Specifications

If you can't tell by looking at the screen (like if the device is powered off) then here is one sure fire way to tell. The new mini has two holes for microphones on it: one at the top and one on the back of the device near the top. The holes are little and rectangular in shape. You can see it in the image in the link above. The original mini only has the one on the top.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But seriously, it comes down the fact that you could not have bought the 2nd generation iPad Mini (with Retina display) 2 months ago. They've only been avialable for a couple weeks now.

Well, not unless some Apple employee accidentally left one at a bar.

OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I was just wondering how to tell. This is my first Mac Ipad mini. But loving it so far

veesubotee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the last question.

Not only do you not need to run anti-virus/malware software on the iPad, you can't.

Also new to ipad; so, what is one to do?

My 'mini' with RD is languishing in Hong Kong since 11/29. Scheduled delivery 12/5. I believe it's going to ship before midnight tonight.

Back to the question at hand: I'm used to having an AV, anti-malware, firewall, port blocker an Ghostery running on my PC.

Thanks,

V

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads are different than PCs. So far, there is no known reason to worry about antivirus software on any idevice (iPhones, iPads, iPods).

veesubotee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPads are different than PCs. So far, there is no known reason to worry about antivirus software on any idevice (iPhones, iPads, iPods).

Not saying you're wrong, but playing devil's advocate: Why couldn't malware/tracking sites enter via the web browser and (malware, et all) find their way to the operating system? Runnng Ghostery on my PC, I am amazed at the number of tracking elements that are blocked.

V

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong, but playing devil's advocate: Why couldn't malware/tracking sites enter via the web browser and (malware, et all) find their way to the operating system? Runnng Ghostery on my PC, I am amazed at the number of tracking elements that are blocked. V

The design of iOS would prevent that. Apps run in a protected space and because if that the worse that can happen is that the app will crash. It won't infect iOS and it won't spread to any other app. It will just die. Again, iOS is not Windows and idevices are not PCs. Anyone trying to sell you an antivirus app is trying to steal your money.

You know, none of this is new. iOS is on version 7 now and there has never been a virus threat. You are welcome to continue to spend your time worrying about this, however.

Buck Falcon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The recently-released iPad Mini with Retina Display will have one of two model numbers printed on the back of each unit in very fine print : A1489 or A1490.

Most reactions