What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini 1

meditek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got one of these for my wife a few years ago as she is a Facetime type. I am not an apple fan myself. She now finds she is getting Cut offs during her facetime sessions since we moved to BT FTTP. I conducted a test.
Wifi to my computer 72 Mbps on Ookla.
Ipad to same network next to my computer 15-20 Mbps. (off then rebooted)
Nexus 5x Phone next to my comp 70Mbps
Laptop next to my computer 72Mbps
Anyone able to explain or is this another Apple slow down trick to get you to upgrade (Pay out again)?
Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The iPad mini (1st generation) has been released in 2012 and discontinued in 2015, its latest software is iOS 9.3.5 (cellular models) or 9.3.6 (Wi-Fi only models). iOS 9 has been released 5 years ago. It‘s possible that the iPad can‘t handle BT FTTP, because it‘s not compatible with some of those features/settings.
It‘s certainly not an Apple slow down trick. You won‘t get 8 years of usage out of any other device, imo.

OP
M

meditek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried an old Ipod touch 6th gen with ios 12. something. 72 Mbps on Ookla. Facebook faultless. Works as perfectly as Apple release redundancy. Apple must have worked hard to throttle internet speeds! I was under the impression that this sort of thing thing was illegal under EU law?. Always felt Apple IOS was designed for women as my wife seems to make it work for her which is little wonder as I pay the bills and attempt to make things work for her.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The 6st gen iPod Touch is three years newer than the 1st gen iPad Mini: 2012 - 2015. No doubt it has a far better wi-fi chip that supports newer modes and speeds. That technology has moved moderately fast in the last several years.

It's also a period during which Apple was rapidly improving all of its iOS devices. Each year's models were major upgrades over the previous years.

Five years is a long time in mobile device time. Rather than saying it's strange/suspicious for the iPad Mini to be slower than the 6th gen iPod Touch, it is amazing the iPod Touch is still keeping up with your laptop and newer mobile devices.

And yes, it is likely that the BT FTTP has newer modes the iPad Mini can't access. New wireless routers mostly have backwards compatibility, but that rarely makes an older device faster. It just insures it still works on the network, most likely as the speeds it used to work. Sometimes a new router will drop some older less used modes. Ones that saw little adoption. That is possible, and cold make the iPad Mini slower than it used to be. However it's unlikely. Unless you have older speed tests that show the iPad Mini used to be faster, there is no reason to think it got slower.

After nearly 8 years, the iPad Mini design just can't keep up.

Did Apple do this on purpose? You bet they did. The made a device that was supported and useful for more than five years. You won't find another mobile device manufacture that has done as much.

OP
M

meditek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had no speed problem with the TT Business router I had previously and Facetime worked perfectly. My wifes 2013 Lenovo laptop has no problems with 73Mbps.
Anyway thanks for the input. Just checked my Ipod Touch 5th gen ios 9.35 connects at 53Mbps and my wife's touch 6th gen at 72Mbps so my wife is now using her Ipod for Facetime all of which suggests the Ipad mini's were left out to graze.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts