What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very slow iPad.

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an older iPad mini MD531LL/A with 16gb of mem. When I bought it, I had intended, and asked for a 32gb iPad. I Didn't notice that I got the 16 until sometime later. I have several computers (pc's) in my house and my wife has an iPad as well. My iPad seems to be the problem child. It is very slow. I can not really browse the internet because it keeps throwing a error and reloading over and over. Since i don't seem to have issues with my other computers (2 win 7, 2 win 10, 2 Ubuntu, another Ipad not to mention other smart devices), is it fair to think that the 16gb pad is just not up to the task today? i was thinking about getting a 32 or even 64 gb iPad, but my wife thinks that I just expect too much from the iPad And would be throwing good money after bad. She has no issues with hers, but doesn't use anything but safari and kindle. I use maps, and some design apps, chrome, and a few other vertical market apps, Skype and facetime, along with kindle

whadayathink?

CHarlie

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an older iPad mini MD531LL/A with 16gb of mem. When I bought it, I had intended, and asked for a 32gb iPad. I Didn't notice that I got the 16 until sometime later. I have several computers (pc's) in my house and my wife has an iPad as well..........

Hi Charlie - welcome to the forum! :) You own the original iPad Mini (see pic below - LINK) w/ the lowest storage available, i.e. 16 GB and outdated RAM (512 MB only) - not sure what iOS is installed or what iPad your wife owns, but you need a NEW iPad - I replaced my wife's iPad Mini, 2nd G w/ a newer model a few years ago - upgrade and you will be MUCH happier. Dave
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.25.48 PM.png

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ditto the above. I also had a G1 iPad/64Gb but the ram was too low to do much with it after a couple of years and it wouldn't update iOS past a pretty low number too. So I replaced it with a mini2/32GB/wifi... which only lasted a couple of years before it broke (home button)... but it was already getting very sluggish, especially after iOS updated to 10.x

I replaced it with an iPad pro 9.7 which was a huge improvement over the mini2, but I can tell the Pro is getting a bit sluggish too. I do a soft reset (power button/home button press until the Apple logo appears) from time to time to try and flush the ram.

It is what it is.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an older iPad mini MD531LL/A with 16gb of mem. When I bought it, I had intended, and asked for a 32gb iPad. I Didn't notice that I got the 16 until sometime later. I have several computers (pc's) in my house and my wife has an iPad as well. My iPad seems to be the problem child. It is very slow. I can not really browse the internet because it keeps throwing a error and reloading over and over. Since i don't seem to have issues with my other computers (2 win 7, 2 win 10, 2 Ubuntu, another Ipad not to mention other smart devices), is it fair to think that the 16gb pad is just not up to the task today? i was thinking about getting a 32 or even 64 gb iPad, but my wife thinks that I just expect too much from the iPad And would be throwing good money after bad. She has no issues with hers, but doesn't use anything but safari and kindle. I use maps, and some design apps, chrome, and a few other vertical market apps, Skype and facetime, along with kindle

whadayathink?

CHarlie
Welcome to iPad Forums, Charlie!
Your problems with the internet are the result of the limited RAM of the original iPad mini which is only 512MB combined the modern websites that require more processing power and RAM for a satisfactory experience. Updating to the latest generation iPad would certainly solve that.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Considering the fact that there have been 4 versions of the mini now I would say don't expect to do much with anything less than the mini 2 these days and no less than 32gb to get by in today's world.

OP
Crchisholm

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts about the 9.7" iPad as opposed to the mini? I bought the first release of the original iPad, so going to the mini was quite a transition, but a good one. The 9.7 seems like it might be in a good middle ground. My eyes are not as good as they once were.

OP
Crchisholm

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...also, I was thinking about getting the iPad with cellular capability. It is not something I would use or need very often but in checking the plans, I see there are ones that you can get for short term needs (like for a trip out of town). I wonder if buying a device with cellular capabilities that don't get used much would somehow negatively impact the usability of the iPad in normal everyday use. Yes, I know, I worry too much.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...also, I was thinking about getting the iPad with cellular capability. It is not something I would use or need very often but in checking the plans, I see there are ones that you can get for short term needs (like for a trip out of town). I wonder if buying a device with cellular capabilities that don't get used much would somehow negatively impact the usability of the iPad in normal everyday use. Yes, I know, I worry too much.
There are no adverse effects from not using the cellular capability of an iPad. You also get GPS capability in a cellular iPad and you don't need a cellular data plan to use it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts about the 9.7" iPad as opposed to the mini? I bought the first release of the original iPad, so going to the mini was quite a transition, but a good one. The 9.7 seems like it might be in a good middle ground. My eyes are not as good as they once were.

Hi again Charlie - these questions have come up numerous times over the years, so let me try to briefly address several. Concerning size, if you're planning to do a lot of reading on the iPad (especially magazine subscriptions), then the larger screen and retina display (particularly w/ 'older' eyes) may be preferable? My wife has the Mini and does not subscribe to magazines, but I do on my iPad Air 2 - I do not like her Mini at all for reading - you can easily test by looking at the same 'document' on both sized devices; also, keep in mind that Apple offers a larger iPad Pro (expensive and more bulky, another consideration when toting an iPad around - wife's Mini fits nicely in her purse), and Apple may come out w/ a 10.5" iPad later this fall.

Wi-Fi vs. adding cellular is a personal decision - we've owned 4 iPads (and plan to replace mine this fall), all w/ just Wi-Fi - we travel a lot, mostly car trips in NC and adjacent states - always stay at hotels w/ Wi-Fi, so we can check our email, browse the web, listen to my MP3 music, etc. Cellular will allow you to get on the web anywhere, so you'll have to decide if that is an important need for you - remember 'cellular' devices will cost more and a plan is needed; also, the 'cellular' iPad is NOT a phone (of course, one can FaceTime or Skype; plus, internet phoning might be an option which I've not checked - others may 'chime in').

Finally, you've not given us your budget - if you decide on obtaining an iPad, the price range is quite variable, depending on purchasing new, used, refurb, etc., model wanted, retina vs. non-retina display, amount of storage, etc, and desire for cellular. My main recommendation after you pick a size (and used vs. new) is to buy the newest model and with the most storage that you can afford; as to the latter, my 2 y/o iPad Air 2 has 64 GB, my next one will jump to 128 GB. As just one example, you visit Apple, their newest 9.7" iPad (just called 'iPad') is shown below - the bottom price w/ just Wi-Fi & 32 GB storage is quite reasonable - upping to cellular and 128 GB adds $230 (plus the cellular data plan). Let me stop there for you to respond - good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 10.23.17 AM.png

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Coming from the original iPad 64GB/cellular (which I never activated), then the mini2/32GB wifi, and now the iPad Pro 9.7 128GB/wifi, I find that whenever I need a connection and am out of wifi coverage, I can setup a wifi hotspot with my AT&T service using my OnePlus 3 phone and get excellent results, depending on cellular coverage where ever I happen to be.

Other than the GPS that you get with the cellular model, I'm not sure what other advantage the cellular model provides that I can't get using my hotspot capability.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming from the original iPad 64GB/cellular (which I never activated), then the mini2/32GB wifi, and now the iPad Pro 9.7 128GB/wifi, I find that whenever I need a connection and am out of wifi coverage, I can setup a wifi hotspot with my AT&T service using my OnePlus 3 phone and get excellent results, depending on cellular coverage where ever I happen to be.

Other than the GPS that you get with the cellular model, I'm not sure what other advantage the cellular model provides that I can't get using my hotspot capability.
Some people may be using cellular data on their iPad that don't have a cellphone to hotspot from or their cellphone plan doesn't allow use of hotspots.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

It's mostly about speed, and convinience. I know, it sounds a bit trivial, since it's not a whole lot of speed, but:

My first iPad (the iPad 1) I got the cellular service. On the second iPad I decided to save a few dollars and get the cellular only model. I regreted it the entire year I owned my iPad 2. It surprised me how annoying it had become to stop, start a hotspot on the phone (then an Android), and join the hotspot on the iPad. Hold in mind I took that iPad pretty much everwhere, and used it to read or look up things at the drop of a hat.

The result, I never even consider getting a non-cellular model these days. I'll buy less storage or a cheaper model first.

That said, I pull out the iPad less frequentlhy than I used to. Partly because it's now the humoungous 12.9" iPad Pro, but also because I have the iPhone 7 plus. A much better device for quick lookups and reading than the smaller iPhones.

Back to the pro's of a cellular iPad, I use the GPS and map feature of the iPad fairly often. I'd really miss having a big iPad sized map with accurate location capability.

Anyway, my advice is that if you are convinced you dont' really need celluar and GPS on your iPad, don't ever get it; becuause it's one of those things you don't know you'll miss until it's not there. Kind of like the retina screens, better headphones, or the many other little improvements in life that cause us to constantly revise our expectations.

If you do get it, be prepared to grow used to being instantly connected everywhere go, no matter what device you pick up. It's addictive, in an insidious way that you'll never notice until it's missing.

Last edited:

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those are good points. I guess I've never known what I was missing by using wifi iPads and utilizing hotspots. But I really have no complaints about using hotspots and find it pretty quick and convenient in my usage.

I simply touch the hotspot icon on my phone, then check my iPad to make sure it's connected, then use my iPad as normal.

I recognize some may not have hotspot capability, but for those who do and would like a cheaper option (both hardware and service), there is a viable option.

OP
Crchisholm

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have the iPad Air 2 (MH172J/A) with 64gig, wifi and cell. Much better browsing experience and much faster.
It came with iOS 9.3.2, and being terminally curious, I did some research to see if I could run iOS 10.3 and see seemingly contradictory info. One site said no and another said yes. In general->software update, I see iOS 10.3 as an option, but have been a little leary of installing it.
My question: if it is offered as an update, does that mean that my model will run it? If so, is there reason for me not too (thirty years in the PC world has taught me to live in fear of updates)

Thanks for any insight.

Most reactions

Latest posts