What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad media apps

MoscowMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a journalist on an English-language website in Russia. We're planning to roll out an iPad app in the new year, and I'm interested in what people like / dislike about current newspaper / magazine apps.

I'm interested in how you like news to be delivered - stories coming online through the day when they are ready, or a hit of updated news 2/3 times a day, for example.

If you're using iPad Apps, how does this change your consumption of print media and websites (and broadcast media, for that matter, though we don't operate those ourselves). Do you see the iPad as a replacement for other platforms or a complement?

Do you feel there's a need to write and present material differently on an iPad? Is it better suited to shorter breaking news flashes (with more detailed analysis available online or in print) or do you want the whole thing at your fingertips asap?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing is sure. It has to be short and to the point. Pictures and illustration can always help. hourly updates are nice, but iPAD is not like iPHONE, which you carry all the time, and you can push updates.

OP
M

MoscowMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing is sure. It has to be short and to the point. Pictures and illustration can always help. hourly updates are nice, but iPAD is not like iPHONE, which you carry all the time, and you can push updates.

So would you say you used it alongside traditional media or instead of? Tend to agree about keeping material short - I'd rather use punchy headlines and sound bites, then link to the print edition or website for more details when I have time to chase up something that interests me.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a journalist on an English-language website in Russia. We're planning to roll out an iPad app in the new year, and I'm interested in what people like / dislike about current newspaper / magazine apps.

I'm interested in how you like news to be delivered - stories coming online through the day when they are ready, or a hit of updated news 2/3 times a day, for example.

I prefer a max of 2/3 times a day. I currently use Early Edition to get 90% of my print news. I like the fact that I can set it to refresh every launch, once a day or on demand. I can also filter the view to just see the last fetch, just today or all stories.

If you're using iPad Apps, how does this change your consumption of print media and websites (and broadcast media, for that matter, though we don't operate those ourselves). Do you see the iPad as a replacement for other platforms or a complement?

I see it as a complement to my info world. Most of my print, and now about 25% of my broadcast stuff. I can use it anywhere, on my time. For instance this past weekend we went camping and as coffee was brewing and breakfast was cooking, I was catching up on news and weather.

Do you feel there's a need to write and present material differently on an iPad? Is it better suited to shorter breaking news flashes (with more detailed analysis available online or in print) or do you want the whole thing at your fingertips asap?

Yes, it needs to be small, quick reads that give me the gist of the story. Let me tap something and go grab the full story if it strikes my fancy. A pic with the original blurb helps.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Definitely check out some of the more popular apps for news. I use USA Today also and like it's format too.

I see the iPad (and Droid tabs) as being the way things are going to be heading. As more folks see the advantages of getting news, sports, weather, etc on these devices, the print and broadcast media will become less relevant. The good ones will adapt quickly, the others will either struggle to catch up or fade away.

OP
M

MoscowMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More good material. Thanks a lot everyone, and keep 'em coming :)

OP
M

MoscowMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure you need a dedicated app? I follow Ukrainian news on the following website -- Kyiv Post. Independence. Community. Trust - Homepage

It comes out every week which is often enough for me.

The decision has been made to do an app, so that's not really a question for discussion anymore. Thus, having decided to do it, we want to make it as good as possible.

Meanwhile, I've enough posts on here now to be able to reveal our web version, for those interested: The Moscow News

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I have something else to read besides Pravda! Very informative web site. My interest is mainly Ukraine, but it is always helpful to stay in touch with their largest trading partner. I have already bookmarked your site and who knows, I might even get the app when it comes out!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've thought about this a lot. It shouldn't be like a PDF file: left/right and nothing else. My favorites from the usability are:
Magazine: Wired
News: USA Today

They have the usability pretty close to perfect in my view, but I always feel like there could also be more content that you can't just find on the web: I want to know how something makes someone feel with lots of minutiae, opinions pro and con and insider info. What the web is often missing is depth.

Nail both the content and the usability and you'll have a win.

Most reactions

Latest posts