What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad live video INPUT

Dylanand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to feed a live camcorder into an iPad? Will do anything...jailbreak if we have to. So in other words, a live feed going into the iPad and showing realtime, without any lag, on the iPad. I have seen the opposite occur but not input. Money no object.

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app called iCam by SKJM.
Made for iPhone but works good on iPad.
Can hook up webcams (up to 4). Real time video and sound. I have old PC laptops hooked up with web cams around house and can view from anywhere.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but works good and is only a buck or two if I remember correctly.

There is a motion alert which pops up when you have push notification on. Can also view from any computer too.

I think it's a pretty cool app for the money. Worth checking out anyway.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on the Camcorder. I can't see how this could be done via usb or firewire.

Your best best would be to find one with wifi capabilities. Or bluetooth, but that's unlikely. Via network, you'd just open safari to it's network address. But most network capable cameras are security type cameras. Find the right camcorder, and that's easy. Try to make a particular one to work, would be tricky (without using an extra computer).

OP
D

Dylanand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad input

Should have mentioned, needs to be hardwired. I can do VGA or rca, but no wifi or 3G.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not even computers can do this without extra hardware (capture cards).

Also, if all you want is a wired connection to a screen, it would be cheaper to buy a dedicated monitor. This one cool setup to record videos using a Canon 5D:

843663295_uMzqd-XL.jpg

You can't surely expect to edit videos on the ipad, the only other use for a wired iPad would be as an expensive monitor...so I say go get a quality monitor for that, like the one above, at camera gear stores.

Now the video below, skip to the next 4min, shows a much better use for your iPhone:

YouTube - RedRockMicro Remote Follow Focus at NAB for Cinema5D

Can't wait what these guys will do with the iPad...:)

OP
D

Dylanand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Canon

Yeah that is fancy stuff. But not what I am looking for... I don't need to edit or anything. Just want to use an iPad as a monitor to receive a live video input by vga or rca. And there doesn't seem to be a solution. Anyone?

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah that is fancy stuff. But not what I am looking for... I don't need to edit or anything. Just want to use an iPad as a monitor to receive a live video input by vga or rca. And there doesn't seem to be a solution. Anyone?

The example was to illustrate the use of a dedicated monitor, not to use as an editor. The point being using a monitor makes more sense than using an ipad.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The example was to illustrate the use of a dedicated monitor, not to use as an editor. The point being using a monitor makes more sense than using an ipad.

Exactly, thanks.

simontay78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.SimonVideo.com
There is an app called iCam by SKJM.
Made for iPhone but works good on iPad.
Can hook up webcams (up to 4). Real time video and sound. I have old PC laptops hooked up with web cams around house and can view from anywhere.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but works good and is only a buck or two if I remember correctly.

There is a motion alert which pops up when you have push notification on. Can also view from any computer too.

I think it's a pretty cool app for the money. Worth checking out anyway.

WOW! iCam is wonderful! :D

OP
D

Dylanand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad as a monitor

No, I understand the point. But we really want to use the ipad as the monitor. It has to be.

Eochs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could just hook up the camera to a normal computer, and then view/control that computer with a VNC app on the ipad.

payton1394

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you guys are getting his point. He wants to use his iPad as a monitor not something to watch streaming video on.

I work for major market television station and believe it or not our professional cameras do not have a color monitor all we have is a 1.5" b & W viewfinder, It would be nice to take a composite video signal and plug it into the iPad and view the video, its would also be cool if we have waveform and vector scopes on the iPad as well, who ever makes that happen will be one rich man.

OP
D

Dylanand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one?

Come on. I thought you all were smart. I want to use the iPad as an external monitor and I want one connection that's not through wifi or a URL. Just direct connectors. Who knows how to do this?

payton1394

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't thing the hardware requirements are there on the iPad to this, the only way I can think of Is to some how use the FireWire interface to input a dv signal into the iPad however I don't know if the FireWire port on the iPad can handle that.

Worker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am looking to get a video signal into the IPAD. No stream, no VNC, just a cable. Could be VGA, NTSC composite , RGB, HD, I don't care. From the specs page on the Apple store, it looks like it's all about output. Let me know if anyone finds a way to do it

Most reactions

Latest posts