What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad live video INPUT

debug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any software/driver writers out there

I have been wanting the same thing for administering headless servers without needing to BYOM or locate a crash cart. I recently bought a VGA2USB adapter for my laptop from epiphan and it works great for that purpose albeit I'm still stuck using a regular laptop. I was thinking maybe someone can write an App for the ipad that could use the camera connection kits usb port to connect to the epiphan hardware. Startech also makes one similar to that. Links to both are posted below (I hope) (ok..since i just registered i can't post links.. just google USB2VGA for epiphan and NOTECONS01 for startech) :p

Any software writers feel like chiming in if thats possible or not?

Doug-

rfsolutions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have been looking at the video input problem/solution. If you convert the video with one of these;
(I can't post links. Google: axis M7001 H.263 single channel converter.)
It converts raw video to IP based video, you should be able to use the Ipad to view nearly live video? Using a WIFI adapter with the output would even make it wireless if you want to. They're not cheap though (about $300). Almost the price of the Ipad. But for my application I may bite the bullet?

Last edited:

rfsolutions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Running a gimbal mounted camera in an aircraft I can run the joystick controller with the Ipad touch screen, watch & record video & run other aircraft mapping apps all with the Ipad. Using a laptop is not nearly as friendly, besides the cool Ipad apps. Space in the cockpit is a premium. Having a monitor, joystick controller, recording device & a laptop to run other mapping apps takes room I don't have. If the Ipad had a video input my search for a solution would already be over.

mrinal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey

im looking for a for the same thing.
but mine is not in the sky, its on the road. im planning to make my ipad as a in car enterntainment system, it'll be used for navigation, music, browsing the net,
etc, im looking to enhance the ipad screen mounted as on my center consol in the car, i wanna attach a thermal camera for the front which will help in night driving, and a rear camera for parking.
it'll be really cool to do tht.

MTZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for the exact same thing. I would like to say again that for this option money is no obstacle. I do aircraft engine inspections and travel constantly so the IPad would be great. I want to hook it to my video scope and use it as a remote monitor that is hardwired. I would like to record to it as well. The reason I would like the Ipad to work is for the ease and apps. When I am done working with it I can use the apps and internet etc. If someone wrote this app they could make a fortune.

bkhiggins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too, would like to use my iPad as an external monitor for my HD Video Camera. Has anyone made any progress, modifying the iPad camera kit looks promising, but I am no developer...

edjekdetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uvc

There is a way to get a video device connected to a UVC compatible operating system. I know that Mac, Windows and Linux are compatible.
What I don't know is if iOS accepts UVC devices. I haven't really looked into the USB kit for the iPad. Looks kinda hopeful. I haven't yet checked if I could actually hook up an external video device to it.

As a freelance cameraman I am looking for a specific application I would love to use with video (TV / Film) production. I just bought a wireless camera system for a few bucks. It transfers 1 video signal and 1 audio signal.
this is what I am planning to do:

Hardware
- hook up the transmitter to the composite output of a broadcast camera
- connect the timecode output to the audio input of the transmitter
- the receiver connected with some kind of a UVC device which I can hook up to my iPad.

Software
I'll have to write software to deal with the AV data
- display the video feed (fullscreen or in window)
- read the timecode from the audio signal
- display the timecode
- software detects when the camera starts / stops recording
- create a thumbnail image, along with production notes (scene, shot info, etc)
- export data to
Final Cut / Avid files (XML)
PDF document
Excel document

This program would be awesome to use in a professional workflow. And... this might be something you guys are looking for.
I am only wondering if I am the first person in the universe that came up with such an idea. I haven't found it yet.

actiondoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes teradex has a cube that works from hdmi out from camera. it is its own wifi hub and links wireless to iPad. iPad works a monitor. Problem its about $1500.00 but works great...Im not a 3 so go to Teradek and look at the cube 250. this is the only way I know that works I would love to solve this cheaper..

Mrplumber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love if this is possible I am a plumber and would love to be able to hook up my iPad2 to my sewer camera
RCA jacks to use it for the monitor and be able to record what we are veiwing as well.

shouser144

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to hook my iPad2 up to a video monitor in the OR to capture screen shots or video - possible? Otherwise for stills I have to print them out then scan them in = POOR resolution. I do have a capture system to pull video onto a memory stick which I can then process on iMovie - but I would like some high quality stills and I think the iPad screen capture could do it IF I could get the images onto the iPad. It seems everything is about sending images FROM iPad to TV, but nothing of the reverse, yet this thread proves there is a desire/need. Programmers get to it, please!

Mhn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a post on a different forum, i read that there is no Application Program Interface (known as API) for live video in the System Development Kit (known as SDK). Being so, a programmer would have to write one from scratch, an extremely costly, time consuming process. It would probably take a team of programmers several months. However, video from the network (from a web cam) is possible, so making a copy of that API and modifying it to have the video come from the audio / video connector (which is already available) should be relatively easy?, anyone out there?

I think that this functionality was not included for some ridiculous , sinister , unknown reason by Mr. J

Last edited:

Facae70560

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the iPad's video circuitry is like the iPhone 4 / 4s at this point, it cannot be done. The video circuitry of iPhone / and possibly iPad is designed only for Video Out. Not Video in. I know what you are trying to do, and I am trying to do the same thing. I am hoping to stumble across a way to test our video cameras. for instance, hook up a video camera via RCA to Dock connector, to the iPhone, that way you get a live feed from the camera, and you can focus / adjust the camera without having to keep coming back to the main monitor to focus and adjust manually. you could just do it at the camera site itself via the video INPUT of the iPhone / iPad. Hoping someday, either Apple designs this feature into their devices. Would be a tremendous help. Hope this helps clear up things.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ran across an app in Cydia today under Cydia Features (first pg), Then Screen Extentions called Display Recorder. I'm wondering if that would work.

Most reactions

Latest posts