What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad letter of complaint to Apple: am I being reasonable?

rheros

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone - first post here so I hope you'll bear with me.

I have a letter of complaint I am going to send to Apple. It explains everything so I'll just post it. Am I being reasonable here? Trust me, I know the bottom line is I didn't get the correct protection plan and they have no obligation to help me out. And honestly it's less about the $$ than it is the bad taste in my mouth here. It's the bigger picture that chaps me. 20 years I've been an Apple supporter and I feel like they are not treating me well. Maybe I'm way off here?

Happy to hear constructive criticism, and thanks for reading!

Rob

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing regarding recent events surrounding my iPad 2 (Serial No: __________), which unfortunately was dropped yesterday, and now has a severely cracked screen. I purchased iPad on 05/07/2011 at the Apple Store Washington Square in Tigard, OR. I paid $829 for the iPad, $79 for Applecare, and about $70 more on accessories (by all means I can provide the receipt if needed.)

In all sincerity I do not believe I was ever made aware that there was even such a thing as “Applecare Plus.†I have no recollection of being offered a choice of different Applecare products. I simply cannot believe there would be ANY reason whatsoever that when already spending nearly $1,000 on a new iPad setup, I would have not been happy to pay a mere $20 more for more extensive coverage. That would make no sense at all. I do not think the option was ever given to me, and now, of course, I find that without Applecare Plus, I am looking at a minimum of $250 for repairing my iPad.

I was assisted today on the telephone by your employee Corey ______, who was extremely helpful and a pleasure to work with. He seemed quite sympathetic to my situation, and sincere in his eagerness to help find a solution to this issue. Unfortunately, one could not be found despite what I believe to be his best efforts.

In the late 1980’s my family had an Apple IIGS and I remember it fondly (Police Quest, anyone?) In 1991 I got my first Apple product, a Mac Classic, which served me well through college (Dad, I promise those hours of playing Falcon 3.0 didn’t affect my grades at all.) Later, I went on to be the proud owner of many, many fine Apple products: a 2[SIZE=-1][SUP]nd[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod, a 3[SIZE=-1][SUP]rd[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod, a 4[SIZE=-1][SUP]th[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod, a 1[SIZE=-1][SUP]st[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod mini, a 1[SIZE=-1][SUP]st[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod nano, a 2[SIZE=-1][SUP]nd[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod nano, an intel flatscreen iMac, a MacBook Pro (still my primary laptop), a Mac Pro desktop system with Cinema Display (still my primary desktop), the original iPhone, the iPhone 3, and the iPhone 4... not to mention the countless accessories that went along with each of these purchases. My wife has had a 2[SIZE=-1][SUP]nd[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod mini, currently enjoys both an iPod shuffle as well as a 6[SIZE=-1][SUP]th[/SUP][/SIZE] generation iPod Nano, bought an iPhone 3GS at my urging, and recently upgraded to an iPhone 4S.

As you can see, I’ve been nothing if not a dedicated and loyal Apple fan and customer for many years. I've even been called an "early adopter" since I generally have a tough time waiting for reviews before buying your latest and greatest: I just trust it's going to be a quality item.

My first taste of disappointment with Apple was only recently, when my iPhone 4 began failing. The home button only works about 30% of the time it is pressed, and the internal speaker for phone calls has died so substantially that I can no longer hear people talking – I have to use the external speaker or a Bluetooth headset. I was a little upset to be told I had no options but pay a hefty repair or replacement fee when this expensive device essentially stopped working properly after about 15 months. I was frustrated, but I told myself I could wait the remaining months until the iPhone 5 was available.

So it is a great disappointment to now have another disheartening experience with Apple. I sincerely believe that I was never presented with the Applecare Plus option at the time of purchase. Had I been, I would never have hesitated a moment to pay $20 more for this product when I was already spending so much that day. Obviously, I have not been reluctant to give Apple my hard-earned money in the past.

I sincerely hope to remain a loyal Apple customer for years to come, but I must be honest: I’m disheartened with my recent experiences.

I therefore feel it quite reasonable to ask that my case be reconsidered, and that I be allowed to have my iPad repaired or replaced for the $49 fee typically associated with the Applecare Plus program. I'd also be more than happy to pay that $20 difference that I was never given the option to pay last year. I would not ask that my plan be retroactively “upgraded†to Applecare Plus, nor would I ask that any other future occurrences be covered (OtterBox, here I come...)

Your time and consideration are greatly appreciated.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow,that's a long letter! I read it all though, and I commend you for remaining respectful despite your situation. Now, I may be wrong here, but I am unaware of whether AppleCare Plus was available when you purchased your iPad. You might not have been offered it because it did not exist! Have you researched when it became available?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't remember if AC+ was offered either when the iPad 2 first came out. I guess some googling is in order. I do have a recollection that Apple sends several emails soon after a purchase telling you that time is running out to purchase the protection plan. I remember getting those for my iPhone and my iPad Nano. I bought one immediately for my iPad 3. It is just too easy to break these things, but I only have an extended warranty for my iPad, nothing for anythng else (in the general scheme it is a bad deal for electronic gear, but I made an exception for the iPad because I use it at work and in the home, and I'm always carrying it around).

As for whether you are being reasonable, no. But still, you don't have to be reasonable. There is a lot of money tied up in it so a certain amount of unreasonableness is to be expected, IMO. Send your letter. Best of luck.

OP
R

rheros

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. Spot on - to the best I can tell, Applecare+ wasn't even available until Fall 2011, long after my purchase. No wonder I don't recall being told about it!

I suppose the question is now whether Apple would simply say "Under the best protection plan available to you at the time, accidental damage is not covered. $250 please"...

or whether they might be more generous, realize that hey, this guy tried to buy the best protection he could, we later offered a better plan that he would have paid for had he be given the chance, let's help him out and make a 20-year loyal customer very happy.

I'm not holding my breath.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow,that's a long letter! I read it all though, and I commend you for remaining respectful despite your situation. Now, I may be wrong here, but I am unaware of whether AppleCare Plus was available when you purchased your iPad. You might not have been offered it because it did not exist! Have you researched when it became available?

I got my 2 on October 4th, 2011 and it wasnt available yet, at least not for in store purchases. I think they started offering it online within a few days of that though.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I was Apple, I'd say "Get Lost". You dropped the iPad, nothing after that is relevant. Go on eBay and see how many dropped iPads with a broken screen there are.

Did you have a case on it? If so, which one?

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to send it but they aren't obligated to help you since it's your fault for dropping it.

But you never know. Let us know how it goes.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are not likely to get any reply to a generic letter.

Don't address it to whom it my concern. Send it to Tim personally. His email address is available with a little searching.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are not likely to get any reply to a generic letter.

Don't address it to whom it my concern. Send it to Tim personally. His email address is available with a little searching.

Very well written letter and I agree with thewitt. Be sure to address it to Tim personally. Best of luck to you my friend and please update!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend just dropped hers on a tiled pool surround on the corner, not in case. When she got back to San Francisco, she made appt with Genius. His option was for her to trade hers for a new one for a pretty reasonable amount, he did all the transferring of data, etc. She doesn't have the Apple Care Plus since we both bought ours the day it was announced. I think my case would help mine survive (Targa and has corners protected) but her corners were all exposed with her case/cover. She decided against having it repaired since she always sells her Apple devices and thought it would affect resale price and there wasn't that much difference.

Most reactions