What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad keeps rebooting

papalazarou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

My iPad randomly reboots for no reason. I am doing something when suddenly the screen goes black, then the apple logo appears before going to my lock screen after a couple of minutes. Is this a problem with ios 5.0.1?

Thanks,
Jamie.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is most likely a problem with your iPad. There have been no widespread reports of this kind of problem with iOS 5.01.

Try a reset. If that does not work you may have to restore the iPad. If neither of those work, you should contact Apple. If it is an iPad 2, it should still be under warrantee. If Apple determines it is a hardware failure they will most likely repair or replace the iPad for free.

On the off chance that you are jailbroken (not likely with iOS 5), look there for a solution first.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

tstreet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad started doing this same thing out of the blue last week. I had not added apps, updated software, or anything. I run iOs 5.1.1. Went to the Apple Store and the folks at the Genius Bar ran a diagnostic, told me to restore the iPad from iTunes. I did, but the problem still remains. I am suspecting there is a battery issue. It's obviously not a deal battery, but I can't help thinking there is an issue with it because when it reboots, the battery shows a very low level, then in a minute or so it jumps up to almost where it should be. Also, sometimes after charging overnight it is still not fully charged. Guess I'll make another 100-mile trip to the Apple Store this weekend to get more suggestions. I will try to post any successful advice I may receive.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like a loose/break in the battery connection. Power disconnect then connect would cause a re-boot. Also a bad connection would not allow battery to be charged.

Sent using my iPad 2

davidal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing here and it just started happening 2weeks ago. "General hardware failure" for iPad 2 without iOS 6? hmmmmm...

tstreet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the long drive to the nearest Apple Store. The folks at the Genius Bar ran diagnostics and told me I needed to install a patch to repair some of my system files. I went back home, synced the iPad (which took forever since it kept rebooting), then downloaded and installed the patch. Sadly, that didn't solve the problem, so back I went a couple of days later. This time the diagnostics revealed the true problem. My battery was slowly dying and had developed some bad cells. Whenever the battery accessed the bad cells, it would die and reboot. So it cost be $99 for a new battery, and they swapped out my machine for another one of the same model. I asked if I could pay more and upgrade to a newer model, but that is not an option. There is no special upgrade or trade-in price. You just buy the new model at the same price as everyone else. Too bad, but that's what I expected. Anyway, the "new old" unit is working great. I'm pleased with the service they gave.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tstreet said:
I made the long drive to the nearest Apple Store. The folks at the Genius Bar ran diagnostics and told me I needed to install a patch to repair some of my system files. I went back home, synced the iPad (which took forever since it kept rebooting), then downloaded and installed the patch. Sadly, that didn't solve the problem, so back I went a couple of days later. This time the diagnostics revealed the true problem. My battery was slowly dying and had developed some bad cells. Whenever the battery accessed the bad cells, it would die and reboot. So it cost be $99 for a new battery, and they swapped out my machine for another one of the same model. I asked if I could pay more and upgrade to a newer model, but that is not an option. There is no special upgrade or trade-in price. You just buy the new model at the same price as everyone else. Too bad, but that's what I expected. Anyway, the "new old" unit is working great. I'm pleased with the service they gave.

Apple does have a trade in program as such. If you participate in the program, and your device still has market value, you get an Apple gift card for the fair market value of your device. You can use the gift card to upgrade or for any other purchase in the apple store.
http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/

Last edited:

davidal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check this out (stolen from another forum and I can't paste URLs):

1. In SB Settings, press on "Power" and choose "Safe Mode".

2. Via SSH, you can navigate to the Mobile Substrate folder and delete the items. I have done this in the past when a theme kept causing problems. In 4.3.3: Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/... You can SSH in while its still booting, so if its rebooting too quickly try bookmarking "Library/MobileSubstrate" and delete the DynamicLibraries folder. You should have enough time to do that.

Worked (so far) for me! :)

Most reactions