What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 won't start and keep rebooting

LeoR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 64 Gb 3G White. I was using Safary and the iPad froze on me. After couple of minutes the only thing I was able to do was resetting it. Problem is that after resetting the iPad won't restart. It shows the apple icon for few seconds than screen blinks, go black and apple icon comes back again. it keeps in this loop and wont restart.
Anyone else had or have this problem?
Any recommendation?

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try connecting it to iTunes and restoring it? If that doesn't work, you may need to take it to an apple store and see what they can do. They might be able to fix the problem, or it may be defective and they'll switch it out with a new one. Taking it to a store is your best bet if the restore doesn't work.

Do you get any error icons like a face or an 'X'?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's quite unusual for a device to get into a rebooting loop like that. I'm afraid the only thing you can do is restore it using iTunes if another reset does not stop it looping.

In order to do this, you may need to put the device into DFU mode. This is quite simple and I have written a guide on it in the link below. DFU mode will prevent it constantly rebooting and allow iTunes to recognise the iPad and restore it.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

iTunes will prompt you that it has found a device in recovery mode and you should restore it. The only option available will be to press the "restore" button. This will download a fresh firmware from Apple and restore your iPad to factory new state. Once this process completes you will get the choice to set up the iPad as "new" or restore from a previous backup. If you recently synced with iTunes and want to have your iPad set back up with your data and apps / music / etc., you should choose the second option. Otherwiese, if you choose "new" you will have to manually put all your apps etc back on the iPad manually and provide settings for all your apps again.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Before going t0o far, lets make sure you did the reset properly, or at least try it again.

Hold down the power and home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Be patient, it might take more than a few seconds, at least 7 for the reboot to happen, twice that or more before the logo actually appears.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just another quick idea. Before you restore your iPad, make a physical ( DVD ) copy of all your apps and data, might take a few DVDs but just in case you can then restore the backup to iTunes a fail safe if you like!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
L

LeoR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's quite unusual for a device to get into a rebooting loop like that. I'm afraid the only thing you can do is restore it using iTunes if another reset does not stop it looping.

In order to do this, you may need to put the device into DFU mode. This is quite simple and I have written a guide on it in the link below. DFU mode will prevent it constantly rebooting and allow iTunes to recognise the iPad and restore it.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

iTunes will prompt you that it has found a device in recovery mode and you should restore it. The only option available will be to press the "restore" button. This will download a fresh firmware from Apple and restore your iPad to factory new state. Once this process completes you will get the choice to set up the iPad as "new" or restore from a previous backup. If you recently synced with iTunes and want to have your iPad set back up with your data and apps / music / etc., you should choose the second option. Otherwiese, if you choose "new" you will have to manually put all your apps etc back on the iPad manually and provide settings for all your apps again.

Hope that helps.
I followed your DFU mode instructions and restored firmware and personal data. Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for your help!

OP
L

LeoR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try connecting it to iTunes and restoring it? If that doesn't work, you may need to take it to an apple store and see what they can do. They might be able to fix the problem, or it may be defective and they'll switch it out with a new one. Taking it to a store is your best bet if the restore doesn't work.

After connecting to ITunes and restoring it my iPad came back to life. Tks!

OP
L

LeoR

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Connecting to iTunes and restoring it did the trick. Tks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LeoR said:
I followed your DFU mode instructions and restored firmware and personal data. Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for your help!

Very Welcome. Really glad to hear it worked for you.

OP
L

LeoR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, resetnwas done correctly. Restoring solve the problem. Tks

Most reactions

Latest posts