What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad hardware hack

mrniles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a hardware hack on the storage can be done?

Say, I buy a 16GB ipad...desolder the chip and place back a 64GB, should that work??
Maybe the storage is also locked somewhere in the software...but does anyone knows or tried...

My question is technical possible..and I did it before with other components (it's my job) but never on an iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mrniles said:
Does anyone know if a hardware hack on the storage can be done?

Say, I buy a 16GB ipad...desolder the chip and place back a 64GB, should that work??
Maybe the storage is also locked somewhere in the software...but does anyone knows or tried...

My question is technical possible..and I did it before with other components (it's my job) but never on an iPad.

No, you can't convert an iPad by swapping out the memory chip. If you have a 16GB iPad and want or need a 64GB iPad, you'll have to acquire the 64GB version.
You can't add storage memory to an existing iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts