What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardware vs Software Video & Battery Life

calverson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently read on the iPad VLC forum that the hardware video playback is locked to developers, and that is why VLC cannot play HD video content as well as the native Videos.app.

I am assuming, then, that videos played through the Video.app would drain less power on the system resources than using VLC or CineXPlayer or another 3rd-party video application. Therefore, for maximum battery life, having natively encoded videos being played through the native video player would be better than using VLC or some other solution.

Are my assumptions correct? Does anyone have any information on this theory?

Calvin

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never watched an entire movie with VLC. Everything works fine for about ten minutes, then it starts acting crazy. Glitching, crashing, and so on. So I decided I'll just convert my movies and watch them that way. So far so good. I have watched two movies that way without a hitch. As far as battery life I wouldn't know. I gave up on VLC after about 15 minutes worth of non stop viewing.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is because VLC is a software decoder when not using the formats that the iPad hardware (and iOS Hardware in general) is optimized for.

In reality, I didn't really have luck using it.

OP
C

calverson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that I might. The reason that I think that VLC or any other third party app uses more battery is because of the software decoding, whereas I have a feeling that the hardware decoding is more efficient and easier on the system.

Tks anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts